The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

Waterman Expert I Vs Ii

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Poetman

Poetman

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 489 posts

Posted 06 December 2017 - 16:11

Im on the market for a Waterman Expert and am wondering if theres any consensus as to which model is preferred, Expert I or Expert II? I think Im familiar enough with their deiffernces (II is heavier, made from brass, nib on II is different). Is one version considered a better performer than the other?

Thanks all!

Sponsored Content

#2 Shannon

Shannon

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 585 posts

Posted 10 December 2017 - 18:49

I really enjoy all of the Expert models and I couldn't tell you that I have a preference.  The nib on the original Expert series looks pretty bad ass!

Ink samples to trade:   Blackstone Blue, Chesterfield  Antique Crimson, Chesterfield  Antique Jade, Chesterfield  Antique Orchid, Chesterfield  Antique Raspberry, Chesterfield  Antique Raven, Chesterfield  Antique Walnut, Chesterfield  Antique Yankee, Chesterfield  Night Sapphire, Cross Blue, Diamine Ancient Copper, Diamine Bilberry, Diamine Blue Black, Diamine Damson, Diamine Indigo, Diamine Oxblood, Diamine Purple Pazzazz, Edelstein Amber, J. Herbin Emerald de Chivor, J. Herbin Lie de The, J. Herbin Rouge Hematite, J. Herbin Storm Grey, Levenger Always Greener, Levenger Amethyst, Levenger Blue Bahama, Levenger Cardinal Red, Levenger Cobalt Blue, Levenger Cocoa, Levenger Fireball, Levenger Gemstone Green, Levenger Pinkly, Levenger Raven Black, Levenger Skies of Blue, Levenger Smokey, Montblanc Black  , Montblanc Montblanc for BMW, Noodler's Bay State Blue, Parker Quink, Pilot Blue, Sailor  Souten, Sailor  Waka-Uguisu

Looking for: surprise me!

#3 Poetman

Poetman

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 489 posts

Posted 11 December 2017 - 15:58

Any other differences people note? How about regarding nib performance?

#4 Poetman

Poetman

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 489 posts

Posted 18 December 2017 - 02:16

Could anyone speak to the difference between a fine and medium nib in the Expert line?

#5 amk

amk

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,729 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 18 December 2017 - 17:55

I like the Expert I - the nib with its rectangular cut-out is engagingly odd, the pens balance nicely, they just seem a cut above the later version. But that's personal preference. I don't think anyone would tell you they're better pens or cost more.

Too many pens, too little time!

http://fountainpenlove.blogspot.fr/

#6 Poetman

Poetman

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 489 posts

Posted 18 December 2017 - 22:32

Thanks for the replyany sense on how the fine and medium nibs compare? I had a Waterman Phileas fine and still have a mediumI find the Phileas fine a bit too fine for my desire and the medium a bit too thick, so I am wondering where the Expert lands on this spectrum.

#7 Chrissy

Chrissy

Ancient Artifact

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,956 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 18 December 2017 - 22:45

Expert Version 1 nibs seems to have a corrosion problem according to our resident expert "Force". I remember him mentioning this before.

A F is not as fine as a Japanese fine, but is more like most European F nibs. They will be very similar in nib tip width to your Phileas nibs.

flying-letter-exc.png

#8 pajaro

pajaro

Amblin along like I had good sense.

• Member - Gold

• 11,401 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 19 December 2017 - 00:27

I like the Expert II EF nibs.  I put two in Laureat IIs.  Great nibs. 

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

They took the blue from the skies and the pretty girls' eyes and a touch of Old Glory too . . .

#9 praxim

praxim

On twig

• FPN Supporter - Rhodium

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,083 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 19 December 2017 - 00:29

Corrosion can be a problem for the Expert II nib as well. Ask me how I know. :rolleyes:

Edited by praxim, 19 December 2017 - 00:29.

Anyone owning three or more working pens is in no position to disparage choices by others.

#10 RMN

RMN

Ancient Artifact

• FPN Super Moderators

• 13,757 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 27 December 2017 - 00:48

I take it that you realise that the version currently in the shops is the Expert III ?

D.ick

~

Freedom exists by virtue of self limitation.

~

#11 ian1964

ian1964

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 675 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 27 December 2017 - 05:25

I prefer the Mk1 but yes the nib is prone to corrosion. It's a shame and reminds me of the gold rings on the nib end of the Man 100 and 200 which also damage far too easily. Having said that, it is relatively cheap to find donor pens in unfashionable colours and replace the said corroded parts.  I have even put my hand to rubbing down a Mk1 nib and re plating to some success.

#12 Force

Force

Fergus 1998-2015

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,903 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 27 December 2017 - 07:52

I take it that you realise that the version currently in the shops is the Expert III ?

D.ick

with the added advantage the Mk III's have stainless steel nibs.

#13 Actor-out-on-loan

Actor-out-on-loan

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 52 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 19 January 2018 - 16:28

Hello Newbie here.
I have three Expert MK1's, 1 fine, 2 Med. one of which has a small bit of corrosion. Fortunately, it does not seem to affect the flow of ink. I do tend to use inks that are 'gentle' in them. Not sure if that makes any difference. Love their feel, the fine has a tiny bit more feedback, but that suits me, well, fine

Sponsored Content

|