The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

Staying Inked? Best And Worst

• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

#21 pseudo88

pseudo88

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,154 posts

Posted 06 December 2017 - 20:14

Best Pelikan m600.

Worst: Parker Sonnet. Some wax on the caps seems to have alleviated the problem, even if it looks crude.

"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt."

B. Russell

Sponsored Content

#22 tetto

tetto

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Silver

• PipPip
  • 19 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 06 December 2017 - 21:39

best: Pelikan, Platinum 3776,

worst: hero 100

#23 keo

keo

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 86 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 06 December 2017 - 22:13

Best - a Nemosine Fission that I inadvertently left inked for a year and it started right up

Worst - Monteverde Invincia prototype - leaky cap, dries up in an hour. I sent it back for repair with a pretty clear explanation of what was wrong. They changed the converter and sent it back. It's sat in the box of unloved pens ever since and Monteverde has lost a customer, which is a shame because, when it writes, I actually like the pen.

#24 Runnin_Ute

Runnin_Ute

Super Pinks member:

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,233 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 06 December 2017 - 23:00

I have a number I would put in the "Best" category, the worst is much easier. Both of my Parker IM's.

Brad

"Words are, of course, the most powerful drug used by mankind" - Rudyard Kipling
"None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain-pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try." - Mark Twain

#25 tetto

tetto

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Silver

• PipPip
  • 19 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 06 December 2017 - 23:13

I think ink is an important factor for this issue...

#26 Tas

Tas

Graphophile . . .

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,509 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 06 December 2017 - 23:25

Best . . . Any of my Pilots; Falcon, 78G, 91, 912, Capless. Platinum 3776, Pelikan M30, Vac 700, both Viscontis, Parker Urban, any Preppy, both Conklins, GvFC Classic, Taranis, Tacchia Covenant, Lamy 2000, Namisu Nova, Parker 45, Intrigue, Expert.

(ie more or less everything on my desk)

Worst . . . Any Noodler's and I hate to say it, my treasured Edison Hudson. Bless it. One of my favourite pens to use but no matter what I put in it the blessed thing dries up after about a week of non use.

#27 OMASsimo

OMASsimo

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 419 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 07 December 2017 - 00:15

I think we need to distinguish to be fair. The categories coming to mind are vintage or modern and gold or steel nib.

I really only have serious issues with drying out/hard starts with steel nibs, a tiny fraction in my collection. Worst is a Sheaffer (white dot!) from the 80s(?). Real vintage pens with steel nibs might skip the first couple strokes but usually write flawlessly after that.

A few of my modern pens (1990s and up) with gold nibs might have hard starts after standing nib up for a long time. The ones which NEVER skip are my OMAS and my Pelikans from that period. My vintage pens (1960s and before) with gold nibs never show any issues like that. I think that one key reason for this is the use of ebonite feeds in vintage pens. And OMAS used ebonite feeds till they went belly up recently. Pelikan managed to keep up the ink flow even after they replaced ebonite by some plastics, I don't know how, though.

#28 Pensei

Pensei

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 633 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 07 December 2017 - 01:55

Best: all my Sailors, and any Pilot with a screw cap. They can go months and still write at once. Also, Kaweco Sport,TWSBI ECO, Pelikan 205, Platinum Century (of course), and somewhat to my surprise, Lamy 2000.

Worst: I love them, but I have two Faber-Castell Ondoros, and they are bad for slow starts if left for more than a day. I think the cap seal is bad, because the F-C Basic, with the same nib and feed, but a different capping mechanism, lasts much longer. 

When I pick up a pen after not using it for a long time, and it works perfectly, that substantially increases my affection for that instrument. 

#29 pajaro

pajaro

Amblin along like I had good sense.

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,721 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 07 December 2017 - 02:20

Some dry up after days or longer.  These can be revived at the start of the day.  If they continue to write through the day they are much better than the ones that dry up in a few minutes and then need a stiff wake up all over again.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

They took the blue from the skies and the pretty girls' eyes and a touch of Old Glory too . . .

#30 MKB

MKB

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 178 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 07 December 2017 - 06:31

Best: My TWSBI Ecos, and a MB 146 I sold. Those would go months and start right up.

Worst: Noodlers Konrads followed by Ahabs.

#31 Recoil Rob

Recoil Rob

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 266 posts

Posted 19 December 2017 - 03:57

I'm going to recant my condemnation of my Montegrappa, I took tetto's advice and tried a different ink. I had been using Herbin's Perle Noir, very disappointing. I switched to Diamine Oxblood, started right up after 5 days. It's nice to feel good about it again, it was a gift from a dear friend, one of those Montegrappa Fortuna Skull pens, goes well with Oxblood.....

Thanks for the advice.

7f0b3e9_03.jpg

My problem lies in reconciling my gross habits with my net income.   - Errol Flynn

Pelikan 100's, 200's, 400's, 600's & 805,s (Stresemann), Namiki Nippon Dragon, Montblanc 149, Platinum 3776 Music Nib, Sailor Pro Clear Demo, Montegrappa Fortuna Skull, Parker 75 Laque, 1946 Parker Vacumatic, Stipula Passporto, Kaweco.

#32 MG66

MG66

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 177 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 19 December 2017 - 11:09

Best: Jinhao x750, my most comfortable pen to write with

Worst: Monteverde Regata Sport, my 2nd favorite pen.  Wakes up slower than a teenager on a school day

Oh, I know this of myself

I assume as much for other people

We’ve listened more to life’s end gong

Than the sound of life’s sweet bells

#33 mana

mana

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 835 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 19 December 2017 - 13:08

More votes for vintage Pelikans and Parker 51s.

The caps of the vintage Pelikans mate with the front surface of the section creating an air (and thus evaporation) proof seal. If the pen is store full enough and capped it can last ready to write for extended periods of time (months).

The Parker 51 caps (which are snap caps) are not quite as air tight but the way the pen is constructed (internal reservoir inside the section combined with the hooded nib) the same applies as to the previous. I have heard stories of Parker 51s being stored for 6 months and they wrote right away.

I haven't had any problems with more dry inks (Pelikan 4001 BB) with the previously mentioned pens.

Worst ones... Parker Sonnet? The cap actually had holes to prevent children from choking (if they had accidentally swallowed the cap). Those ones dried up like there is no tomorrow (one of the reasons I do not use them anymore even though the pens are lovely otherwise).

Adopt, Don't Shop! Support Your Local Animal Shelters! - Let's make this world a better place together! Because... now is the only thing that is real...

"Indifference towards people and the reality in which they live is actually the one and only cardinal sin in design." - Dieter Rams

EDC: Post WWII green binde Pelikan 100N CI 14K BB, post WWII black binde 100N 14K EEF & 400 Tortoise 14K F. INKED: early 70s LAMY 2000 MK, Parker 51 Aerometric F & M, rOtring Art Pen 1.1 & 1.5 mm CI & Woodshed Pen Co. Red swirl 1.1 mm CI... Inks: Pelikan 4001 BB & Turquoise, vintage Parker Quink & Lamy Turquoise. Also, my own mixes.

#34 Almu

Almu

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 152 posts

Posted 19 December 2017 - 13:57

Best: Lamy 2000, TWSBI Eco, Platinum 3776 Century

Worst: Pilot Metropolitan, Jinhao 159

#35 Tas

Tas

Graphophile . . .

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,509 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 19 December 2017 - 14:13

Worst: Jinhao 159

If you have a spare Conklin feed, plonk it in the 159. Sorts it right out !

Their feed gave me poor starts too. Now it's as good as gold . . .

#36 displacermoose

displacermoose

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 448 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 20 December 2017 - 03:22

I consign pens with starting problems to the suitcase of shame, never to see the light of day. Most of those have had cheap plastic inner caps that cracked. All my others (ranging from a Jinhao 159 to a Pilot Custom 823) start every time. I think I most admire the starting capacity of my Preras, Lamy 2000, and Sheaffer 444 because they don't have threads to give them extra sealing power.

Yet another Sarah.

#37 SoulSamurai

SoulSamurai

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 625 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 21 December 2017 - 11:02

Worst ones... Parker Sonnet? The cap actually had holes to prevent children from choking (if they had accidentally swallowed the cap). Those ones dried up like there is no tomorrow (one of the reasons I do not use them anymore even though the pens are lovely otherwise).

I don't think the nibs are exposed to the holes in the caps of Parker pens; the inner cap should seal the nib properly. I have two Parkers with holes in their caps that are quite resistant to drying out... and one (the most expensive by far) that completely dries out within a day or two, to the point that the converter will be dry within a couple of weeks...

#38 Inksomnia

Inksomnia

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 138 posts

Posted 21 December 2017 - 17:48

I use almost all my pens everyday (I draw a lot and do Bullet Journal), so rarely any of them get even change to dry out.

But my Parker Urban is the worst one. It feels like even if I have it just couple days unused, it wont start. I tried different inks and nothing worked...

#39 SpecTP

SpecTP

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 590 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 22 December 2017 - 20:59

best: Conid Kingsize Bulkfiller with Titanium nib

worst: Conklinetta Senior Side Button Filler - Mocha; after a month that thing would leak all over.

#40 avlisyar

avlisyar

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 662 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 22 December 2017 - 21:43

My best is a Edison Pearl and Nakaya Piccolo.

I will leave it at that!

Sponsored Content

|