School Pen Use

surprise123

So now I have a new question, for quick notes like writing a hall pass or signing something for a club, what pen would you recommend as a pocket pen? My budget is $50 which has to include shipping unless on amazon prime. I'm thinking of finding a holidays deal for the Kaweco Liliput? I heard they also sell a clip for it.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• surprise123

• tamiya

• LizEF

• Brandywine

though I have to wonder, how hard were the kids pressing? lol , I press the same as i normally do for my regular pens.Though i never liked those cheapie papermate pens, they don't give put out enough ink for my tastes. I usually use the bic easily glide pens though.

although i wonder how wouild flex nib pens fare if the same kids did the same thing to it

Edited by bluebellrose

Wow. That's actually surprising to hear, and still hard to wrap my head around. - Mind you, I'm currently teaching at a high school in Germany, and things here appear to be very different from what you described.

At my school, I'd say about 2/3rds of our students use fountain pens - a large number of them even (I assume) the FPs they started writing with - Lamy ABCs etc. When they move on, some of them turn to ballpoint pens or markers.

I find it actually baffling that to some people, fountain pens are such an exotic and outdated object ranking amongst novelties such as snuff boxes or monocles these days. To me, they're just the natural choice for people who have to do lots of writing by hand - such as students (or teachers, for that matter).

I'm actually a little surprised that your teacher didn't really intervene - after all, protecting your privacy and / or property should trump curiosity. But it's a good thing to see that it got replaced - as it happens, it's the exact same pen I use on a daily basis. And it's a conscious decision that my Metropolitan I take to school, not my Lamy 2000. Your post really reassured me there :lol:

So now I have a new question, for quick notes like writing a hall pass or signing something for a club, what pen would you recommend as a pocket pen? My budget is $50 which has to include shipping unless on amazon prime. I'm thinking of finding a holidays deal for the Kaweco Liliput? I heard they also sell a clip for it.

IMO, you want a snap cap for this. You also want an EF / F nib for using on other people's paper. If you want something small, you might try the JetPens mini aluminum - it seems like it would make a really good pen for what you describe: https://www.jetpens.com/JetPens-Mini-Aluminum-Fountain-Pens/ct/3683

(I have not used one, but am considering buying one.)

For carrying it in a pocket I strongly recommend pens that use cartridges,

not those that have to be filled from an inkglass.

You found out yourself what a mess a spilled ink-reservoir can be! :yikes:

Then you can easily and safely carry spare cartridges with you

and don't have to carry an inkglass around (imagine the mess when THAT opens or cracks!) :o

You might consider using a cartridge pen in school for that reason, too.

Back in the last century, when I started school some kids showed up with reservoir pens (present from grandparents, no doubt)

and the teacher instantly implored the parents to get their kids cartridge pens!

But then of course you will miss the exhilarating experience of the whole class holding their breath while

watching you performing the ceremony of filling a fountain pen from an inkglass. :notworthy1:

You were right to ask for a clip on your pen:

With a clip you can pin it to your shirt pocket, they keep falling out otherwise -trust me :rolleyes:

and it will keep it from rolling off the desk, too!

The Kaweco Liliput will do fine, especially because it is a sturdy metal pen that will endure a ride in a pocket.

There also is the Kaweco Sport, which is also available in aluminium or brass, but that might be slightly above your budget.

The plastic Kaweco Sport ist quite affordable and is said to be rather sturdy in spite of its material.

I have read many statements from people who carry it in their jeans pocket without problems.

Considering the season you might mention your wish to some parents / grandparents / uncles / aunts

who are breaking their heads in search for a proper christmas present (or Chanukkah or whatever).

They may be glad for a little hint, otherwise they might get you such useless gifts as a playstation or a new mobile phone ....

I've decided to get a used P51 for the holidays, this will be my EDC from now on. It will NEVER, EVER, leave my side no matter what. There is a serial pencil thief amidst my school, and I hope he never learns about FP

Oh, the wonders of the absurdity of some people...

May I ask a personal question... would you consider yourself more of a bully or bullied at school?

I get bullied a great bunch, but it's no big deal, mostly salty kids who haven't gotten their mouth washed in the past century. And I am most happy to oblige by verbally arguing them silly if I deem necessary. Gee, this takes "the pen (language?) is mightier than the sword" to a whole new level...

But no, I've never, ever, EVER, had to use force. Most people know I'm joking (because that's just how middle school works nowadays), but I still am very serious about my prrressciousssssssssssssssssssss (insert Smeragle meme).

One of my favorite ways, in fact, is to ask them where they learned their immensely foul language from. "Gee, I bet you are so proud of yourself, Timmy! You learn something new everyday!"

"My myriad of services extends to sarcasm, argumentative speech, and stubborn logical reasoning."

EDIT: My services DO NOT extend to foul language.

Edited by surprise123

I get bullied a great bunch, but it's no big deal,

Good lord sonnyboy, I sensed as much... and stop denying it, 'cos it IS a big deal, you'll be forever nervously anticipating getting ambushed everyday (m I rite?) until you LEARN TO FIGHTBACK!!

When I was 14 I got sent downunder to a foreign new school... btw I'm purebred Chinese (and my parents were married before I was born, thanks for asking!) and landed in White Australia where Asians were barely 10% of the school population. Plus I suck at sports so no escape down that route. With back forced to the wall, it was learn to fight or dread the rest of school life.

Fighting comes in many ways... they wanna cuss, I memorised the trucker's vocabulary & outcussed them back to their stinky mothers fanny. They wanna use fists, heck I learnt to give back what I got... even more so when l picked up ways of inflicting maximum pain with minimum marks/bruises... hehehehe

You think it's "no big deal" now? I've got news for you... once you leave school, the next phases in your life WON'T BE ANY DIFFERENT, there'll be others who seek to bully you every step of the way. Your bosses, coworkers, family, acquaintances... everybody is wanting to take advantage of anybody weaker, so it's your choice if you forever play the victim.

And yes, this Asian minority geek happily carried FPs throughout school... maths science nerd, debating club, computer lab regular... I usually kept a reliable Pilot in my pencilcase, and a nicer Parker or Sheaffer in the shirt pocket. Don't know of any other students who used FPs back then, but a few Masters (teachers) did use FPs. Our paper was still good quality enough for FP ink back then, I used Quink because it was easily bought at any newsagent or supermarket.

And fellow students got instilled with sufficient respect for my property & never put their grubby mitts on my pencilcase on the odd occasions I did leave it about. FYI I still have that pencilcase today plus all my schoolage FPs.

ps. best don't quote Tolkien until you've studied every elven tome. Otherwise it makes you sound pretentious, and nobody likes a pretentious smartass. :P I send them hitchiking across the galaxy :D

Good lord sonnyboy, I sensed as much... and stop denying it, 'cos it IS a big deal, you'll be forever nervously anticipating getting ambushed everyday (m I rite?) until you LEARN TO FIGHTBACK!!

When I was 14 I got sent downunder to a foreign new school... btw I'm purebred Chinese (and my parents were married before I was born, thanks for asking!) and landed in White Australia where Asians were barely 10% of the school population. Plus I suck at sports so no escape down that route. With back forced to the wall, it was learn to fight or dread the rest of school life.

Fighting comes in many ways... they wanna cuss, I memorised the trucker's vocabulary & outcussed them back to their stinky mothers fanny. They wanna use fists, heck I learnt to give back what I got... even more so when l picked up ways of inflicting maximum pain with minimum marks/bruises... hehehehe

You think it's "no big deal" now? I've got news for you... once you leave school, the next phases in your life WON'T BE ANY DIFFERENT, there'll be others who seek to bully you every step of the way. Your bosses, coworkers, family, acquaintances... everybody is wanting to take advantage of anybody weaker, so it's your choice if you forever play the victim.

And yes, this Asian minority geek happily carried FPs throughout school... maths science nerd, debating club, computer lab regular... I usually kept a reliable Pilot in my pencilcase, and a nicer Parker or Sheaffer in the shirt pocket. Don't know of any other students who used FPs back then, but a few Masters (teachers) did use FPs. Our paper was still good quality enough for FP ink back then, I used Quink because it was easily bought at any newsagent or supermarket.

And fellow students got instilled with sufficient respect for my property & never put their grubby mitts on my pencilcase on the odd occasions I did leave it about. FYI I still have that pencilcase today plus all my schoolage FPs.

ps. best don't quote Tolkien until you've studied every elven tome. Otherwise it makes you sound pretentious, and nobody likes a pretentious smartass. :P I send them hitchiking across the galaxy :D

I prefer no violence because public humiliation is often a better move than punching. It's amusing to see the redfaced common bully try to tell everyone "It's not true!". You can't hit everyone who's laughing, can you? And I suppose you assumed I had no friends? Ha. But I suppose you're right on one thing, I haven't studied Tolkien yet, should be doing it any time now...

LONG LIVE THR ERNIE GANG

I prefer no violence because public humiliation is often a better move than punching. It's amusing to see the redfaced common bully try to tell everyone "It's not true!". You can't hit everyone who's laughing, can you? And I suppose you assumed I had no friends? Ha. But I suppose you're right on one thing, I haven't studied Tolkien yet, should be doing it any time now...

LONG LIVE THR ERNIE GANG

Though in an extreme scenario behind the school, I did have to raise my knee 10 inches...

Though in an extreme scenario behind the school, I did have to raise my knee 10 inches...

Crane stance, grasshopper?

http://s3.amazonaws.com/cme_public_images/www_livestrong_com/photos.demandstudios.com/60/74/fotolia_3817285_XS.jpg

or another DON'T PANIC moment

:ninja:

(meh, enjoy school however you like. This third rock from the sun is gunna get demolished to make way for an intergalactic superhighway in due course anyway!)

Edited by tamiya

I get bullied a great bunch, but it's no big deal

Believe me, it is a big deal. And I hope you do realize that the persoon being bullied becomes the bully if not careful. I know from experience.

If I were you, I would buy a Lamy Safari. It would keep up with bully abuse until one literally decided to "gently" and "accidentally" step on it and break it.

Schools, be it primary, high school or college are not save for more expensive or vintage pen's. I would not take my Parker Duofold International Classic Big Red to work or to school if I would have had it back then, but I would bring my Lamy.

But it is your choice.

Kind regards,

Robin.

Believe me, it is a big deal. And I hope you do realize that the persoon being bullied becomes the bully if not careful. I know from experience.

If I were you, I would buy a Lamy Safari. It would keep up with bully abuse until one literally decided to "gently" and "accidentally" step on it and break it.

Schools, be it primary, high school or college are not save for more expensive or vintage pen's. I would not take my Parker Duofold International Classic Big Red to work or to school if I would have had it back then, but I would bring my Lamy.

But it is your choice.

If you get a Jinhao X450 or X750 you can upgrade the converter and put your #6 nib of choice in it - total cost $25-30 if you buy everything from Goulet. All metal pen. They're pretty much tanks.

You would get bullied by a short, tiny asian kid?

Let me be very honest with you. No I would not, but despite not beiing asian, I was the short tiny asian kid in school.

If you get a Jinhao X450 or X750 you can upgrade the converter and put your #6 nib of choice in it - total cost $25-30 if you buy everything from Goulet. All metal pen. They're pretty much tanks.

I have no experiencs with those FP's but a Lamy with converter falll in the exact same prics range shere I live. And it did not break until a 120 kg person deliberatly stepped on it with all his power. The nib survived a lot of full power throws and stabbings on different surfaces including my own back. Even tanks have their breakingpoints. Edited by ArturiaP3ndrag0n

Kind regards,

Robin.

But I suppose you're right on one thing, I haven't studied Tolkien yet, should be doing it any time now...

LONG LIVE THR ERNIE GANG

If you haven't read Tolkien yet, just go ahead!

The movies were great, but the books are even better!

You would get bullied by a short, tiny asian kid?

Sometimes the small ones are the biggest bullies lol...

You should just take a ballpoint to school and keep the valuable stuff for home.