Montblanc - The Beatles - What Do You Think?

yeepers

Please keep this thread on-topic.

Debating the merits of the value of the Beatles as a band, or the Beatles versus other music or bands, is off-topic.

Thank you.

-- Joel -- "I collect expensive and time-consuming hobbies."

INK (noun): A villainous compound of tannogallate of iron, gum-arabic and water,

chiefly used to facilitate the infection of idiocy and promote intellectual crime.

(from The Devil's Dictionary, by Ambrose Bierce)

• 1 year later...
  • Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• max dog

• Tom Kellie

• thygreyt

• desidude02

Thought maybe a revisit was in order. I like the majority had little interest in this pen. But it kept drawing me back so I sold a few pens that I no longer used added a little cash and voila got me this pen.

Immediately I found a problem that it was highly noticed by everyone. Then I discovered ex-Montblanc sales people begging to look and try it.

Everyone seems to mention that they cannot believe Mont Blanc did this to a pen but it is so fun.

I have one negative, I have yet to find a pen to challenge this one for the excitement and happiness it seems to bring to people. It has been over a year since I purchased this pen and have yet to acquire another pen which is unbelievable to people who know me.

Anyway am I the only one or have others found this to be the story also?

My coating for the nib was coming off so montblanc replaced it with a james dean. I still miss the beatles se fp and think I will be purchasing it again. They did a nib swap initially but the coating still came off, am I the only one who faced this issue?

For all the fellow lovers, has your nib coating held up? Would like some feedback before I spring on it again.

Steve

The Beatles were nothing special. They were just a 60s boy band, and 99.9% of what creativity they did have came entirely from George Martin. Tthe Beatles could hardly even play their instruments well, let alone write decent music.

As for the Montblanc pens representing them, those are just gaudy, hideous, overdone, and tasteless. I really hope people don't waste their money on those things.

In this forum we tend to worry and obsess more about pens than pop music.

Please keep this thread on-topic.

Debating the merits of the value of the Beatles as a band, or the Beatles versus other music or bands, is off-topic.

Thank you.

Nicely put.

It's heavy! And it looks like something that the UK clothing shop Paul Smith could have commissioned it... or at least it would match their line of socks very well. :D

My coating for the nib was coming off so montblanc replaced it with a james dean. I still miss the beatles se fp and think I will be purchasing it again. They did a nib swap initially but the coating still came off, am I the only one who faced this issue?

For all the fellow lovers, has your nib coating held up? Would like some feedback before I spring on it again.

Steve

What? They replaced your Beatles FP with a James Dean FP?

Is this a temporary soulution, until they fix your Beatles FP (like a loaner car from an insurance company)?

Sorry to hear about your nib issues - but slightly surprised at MB's solution - if I've understood this properly.

What? They replaced your Beatles FP with a James Dean FP?

Is this a temporary soulution, until they fix your Beatles FP (like a loaner car from an insurance company)?

Sorry to hear about your nib issues - but slightly surprised at MB's solution - if I've understood this properly.

No, they fixed it once but the coating still came off. I wasnt going to go through it again so they asked me to pick any other pen. Hence, the james dean. But the beatles is one of a kind and I will certainly be picking one up soon. Was I the only one that faced the coating to come off? Its quite disheartening.

Steve

I have weighted every pen i own, and the beatles is not the heaviest one... i guess it just takes time to get used to heavy-er pens?

A standard 146: 25.4g, capless: 15.5grams.

Beatles: ...74.7g--> 42.6g capless

1912:....... 50.0g--> 38.3 capless

Unicef...... 62.3g--> 39g

Leonardo ....70g--> 40.7g

Maecenas 92.1g--> 47.4

Peggy....... 68.8g--> 42.1g

As for coatings, I got mine about a week or two ago, I'll report back if i get to have an issue. So far, so good! It has a nice OBB nib and its been writing a lot since arrival. Already done like 6-10ml of ink.

I love how bright and different this pen is to my others

I have weighted every pen i own, and the beatles is not the heaviest one... i guess it just takes time to get used to heavy-er pens?

Maecenas 92.1g--> 47.4

As for coatings, I got mine about a week or two ago, I'll report back if i get to have an issue. So far, so good! It has a nice OBB nib and its been writing a lot since arrival. Already done like 6-10ml of ink.

Is next up james dean for you reed? I will be purchasing the beatles again as I cannot get enough of the colors.

It was my first mb I ever bought, I must have it back.

If you run your finger on the lateral sides of the nib, does your coating stay intact for the beatles? I did that once and boom, coating came off. Surprisingly, with my other MBs, coating stays and yes, I used original MB inks if that was a concern.

Steve

Steve

Hi,

I made a nib exchange on my Beatles SE to a OBB, when I purschased, and after 2 o 3 month of use the “ ruthenium” began came off.

Now the pen is at Hamburg.

I do not feel very hopeful.

I will be informing.

Maecenas 92.1g--> 47.4

74.7 grams? YIKES! Definitely not buying it then, even if I COULD afford a $3K pen.

I did pick up a bottle of the ink, eventually, at a pen show last year, and really like it. Works well with the pen I bought at the same table: the Pelikan M120 Iconic Blue. Which costs WAY less than the MB Beatles pens, and is, um, tasteful....

The problem with most LE and SE pens like the ones MB insists on releasing (they're not the only company that does this, BTW) is that there will be interesting elements (such as the striped barrel on the Beatles pen) but combined with extravagent bling that destroy any desire I might have for the pen. And make them such large and heavy pens that they are unusable for anyone without ham-hands. And make them so expensive that most people who MIGHT want one can't afford them without taking out a second mortgage on their house.

But clearly I am NOT in the demographic that MB desires as a customer (as the Marilyn Monroe pen from a couple of years ago proved -- although I couldn't for the life of me figure out what they though the market for THAT sexist bit of trash pen would be).

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

edited for typos

Edited by inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

Hi,

I made a nib exchange on my Beatles SE to a OBB, when I purschased, and after 2 o 3 month of use the ruthenium began came off.

Now the pen is at Hamburg.

I do not feel very hopeful.

I will be informing.

I am sorry to hear this, my coating did not even last a week after they replaced my nib. Please let us know the views of hamburg if you manage.

74.7 grams? YIKES! Definitely not buying it then, even if I COULD afford a $3K pen.

I did pick up a bottle of the ink, eventually, at a pen show last year, and really like it. Works well with the pen I bought at the same table: the Pelikan M120 Iconic Blue. Which costs WAY less than the MB Beatles pens, and is, um, tasteful....

The problem with most LE and SE pens like the ones MB insists on releasing (they're not the only company that does this, BTW) is that there will be interesting elements (such as the striped barrel on the Beatles pen) but combined with extravagent bling that destroy any desire I might have for the pen. And make them such large and heavy pens that they are unusable for anyone without ham-hands. And make them so expensive that most people who MIGHT want one can't afford them without taking out a second mortgage on their house.

But clearly I am NOT in the demographic that MB desires as a customer (as the Marilyn Monroe pen from a couple of years ago proved -- although I couldn't for the life of me figure out what they though the market for THAT sexist bit of trash pen would be).

edited for typos

The pen is less than 1k... even more so if pre owned, or depending where you buy.

And in my case I got it for WAY less than $900.

Anyhow, I'll let you guys know how the ruthenium holds up

edited for typos

Comparing montblanc to pelikan is a foolish idea to begin with. They are both wonderful pens but you are complaining in the wrong subset of forum. Montblancs are known to be expensive yet many people buy them, its a choice and the world moves on and it certainly doesnt revolve around your opinion.

Its simple, if you cant afford em dont buy em. No need to bash the people and the brand or even the pen if it doesnt suit your tastes.

For example, I would rather die than buy a pelikan but I would not infer my opinions onto you as it is irrelevant.

Your mileage may vary.

Steve

Well, I guess I don't mind buying a Pelican if my other choice is to die. Am I allowed to say (quietly), "A vintage one at least", while I am paying?

I would rather die than buy a pelikan

Back to topic as there is no point on arguing about where the topic is going.

The only thing i do not like about the pen is the mustache clip, but the otherwise colorful and smooth barrel/cap I find to be quite enjoyable to look at. It brightens the mood of the enviroment where the pen is found.

Back to topic as there is no point on arguing about where the topic is going.

The only thing i do not like about the pen is the mustache clip, but the otherwise colorful and smooth barrel/cap I find to be quite enjoyable to look at. It brightens the mood of the enviroment where the pen is found.

Yes it is the thing I don't like too on the different models of Beatles (I have the 1969 and my wife has the SE). But for the remaining I like the 2 models and also the LE88 but not in my budget :) And if I have the money I think I would buy others private artisan first.