Montblanc - The Beatles - What Do You Think?

yeepers

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• max dog

• Tom Kellie

• thygreyt

• NicolausPiscator

I think the John Lennon pen is perfect... the vinyle body, guitar neck clip, peace sign on nib.

This new Beatles pen... kind of... to colorful for me, like a wonder bread pen. You have to be really into the beatles.

I agree about the Lennon pen. I suppose it's one of the few grail pens that I actually desire. I'm usually not attracted to SE or LE pens from Montblanc or anyone else. However, being a big John Lennon and Beatles fan I became really enamored with that pen. I first saw it as a student in college. During a study abroad trip to the UK we visited Liverpool. It was around October 2010, which would have been his 70th birthday. I remember seeing it in a shop window and thinking, "Wow! That's an amazing pen!" The subtle grooves in the black resin that make it look like a vinyl record is really wonderful. This Beatles SE on the other hand was something of a let down when I actually saw pictures of it, a bit too gimmicky, but perhaps I will change my mind once I see it in person.

Edited by Florida Blue

Parker: Sonnet Flighter, Rialto Red Metallic Laque, IM Chiseled Gunmetal, Latitude Stainless, 45 Black, Duovac Blue Pearl Striped, 51 Standard Black, Vac Jr. Black, 51 Aero Black, 51 Vac Blue Cedar, Duofold Jr. Lapis, 51 Aero Demi Black, 51 Aero Demi Teal, 51 Aero Navy Gray, Duofold Pastel Moire Violet, Vac Major Golden Brown, Vac Deb. Emerald, 51 Vac Dove Gray, Vac Major Azure, Vac Jr. Silver Pearl, 51 Vac Black GF Cap, 51 Forest Green GF cap, Vac Jr. Silver Pearl, Duovac Senior Green & Gold, Duovac Deb. Black, Challenger Black, 51 Aero Midnight, Vac. Emerald Jr., Challenger Gray Pearl, 51 Vac Black, Duofold Int. Black, Duofold Jr. Red.

Hi all, just curious.

There's quite a bit of negative reaction to this pen! lol.Imho at first it does appear garish, but i concur with others when they say it does 'grow on you'. :)

Is the negativity due mostly because of its design? or nib? or from a financial perspective people don't see the future appreciation in its value compared to other models for the same price?

For me, it's the design. When I think of the iconic Beatles artwork (album covers like Sgt Pepper's, Abbey Road, Magical Mystery Tour, Rubber Soul, and the animation artwork from "Yellow Submarine"), I think the designers missed an opportunity.

-- Joel -- "I collect expensive and time-consuming hobbies."

INK (noun): A villainous compound of tannogallate of iron, gum-arabic and water,

chiefly used to facilitate the infection of idiocy and promote intellectual crime.

(from The Devil's Dictionary, by Ambrose Bierce)

For me, it's the design. When I think of the iconic Beatles artwork (album covers like Sgt Pepper's, Abbey Road, Magical Mystery Tour, Rubber Soul, and the animation artwork from "Yellow Submarine"), I think the designers missed an opportunity.

I wholeheartedly agree.

So much they could have done...!

The Beatles Pen is, well, not for me.

But if you are a Beatles Fan you may like it.

Edited by Zaphodbebullbrox

Would have preferred one in shocking yellow, like a submarine.

"Sitting and writing for an hour consumes only 50 calories, but the satisfaction is PRICELESS."

Agreed. Perhaps with a clip detail like the periscopes, which may look like a fun version of the Miles Davis, and a porthole detail. If you are going over the top, at least take on the pop art of the time. Not Pauls Smith (even though he is fine)

How about a Factory Records pen? Also great pop art from a later time.

And yet i would have preferred a plain white one in reference to their best album.

Then the serial number could just be stamped on the white part, same as the limited edition vinyl.

The Beatles were nothing special. They were just a 60s boy band, and 99.9% of what creativity they did have came entirely from George Martin. Tthe Beatles could hardly even play their instruments well, let alone write decent music.

As for the Montblanc pens representing them, those are just gaudy, hideous, overdone, and tasteless. I really hope people don't waste their money on those things.

Maybe they weren't all top musicians, but they did write great songs. Martin was a great producer and wrote arrangements to complement the basic songs, but he wasn't the only talent. I say this not as a fan. I respect the Beatles, but do not own any of there music, despite having a huge collection.

Noel Gallagher of Osais has written sone great songs, but he and his brother cannot play in time. (I can't stand Oasis, particularly live)

Whether or not anyone agrees with the above, commemorating the Beatles for what they did to change pop music and the culture of the time is always easy to justify.

Maybe they weren't all top musicians, but they did write great songs. Martin was a great producer and wrote arrangements to complement the basic songs, but he wasn't the only talent. I say this not as a fan. I respect the Beatles, but do not own any of there music, despite having a huge collection.

Noel Gallagher of Osais has written sone great songs, but he and his brother cannot play in time. (I can't stand Oasis, particularly live)

Whether or not anyone agrees with the above, commemorating the Beatles for what they did to change pop music and the culture of the time is always easy to justify.

"She loves you yeah yeah yeah". Very typical of their depth.

I think you'll find that Martin had significantly more contribution than that because without him there was nothing there.

Noel or Liam Gallagher were pretty much on the same low level as the Beatles, perhaps a little above.

The Bealtes, collectively(ie with George Martin and management) changed musical culture for sure as they inspired a great many to pick up a guitar. But they were still a typical boy band whose main motivation(of the 4 of them) was to go out on stage for fame and fortune and to make the girls scream rather than to make good music.

I'm always amused by clips(fast forward to 7.32 to 7.50) like this that hint of the genius and masterfulness that the Beatles had over their songs

Edited by Bluey

"She loves you yeah yeah yeah". Very typical of their depth.

I think you'll find that Martin had significantly more contribution than that because without him there was nothing there.

Noel or Liam Gallagher were pretty much on the same low level as the Beatles, perhaps a little above.

The Bealtes, collectively(ie with George Martin and management) changed musical culture for sure as they inspired a great many to pick up a guitar. But they were still a typical boy band whose main motivation(of the 4 of them) was to go out on stage for fame and fortune and to make the girls scream rather than to make good music.

You make some relevant points but it can't be denied that The Beatles were at the forefront of the Mersey sound and were hugely successful. I don't like the Beatles and never have but that is rather irrelevant as they were successful in spite of my likes or dislikes. Likewise I think the MB Beatles pen is about the most terrible looking pen that I have ever seen, but if it sells, then it too is successful.

Peter

You make some relevant points but it can't be denied that The Beatles were at the forefront of the Mersey sound and were hugely successful. I don't like the Beatles and never have but that is rather irrelevant as they were successful in spite of my likes or dislikes. Likewise I think the MB Beatles pen is about the most terrible looking pen that I have ever seen, but if it sells, then it too is successful.

Yes they were at the forefront but they weren't the pioneers, in the same way that neither the Stone Roses nor the Inspiral Carpets were the pioneers of the Madchester sound. They were simply in the right place at the right time with the right management etc. Success is never a measure of innovation or brilliance in music, but much more of marketing.

They were still a boy band with semi non-existent musical talent. Most of them couldn't play their instruments to save their lives.

Success is never a measure of innovation or brilliance in music, but much more of marketing.

Very much the same could be said about Montblanc, but it works. :D

Peter

Quite true. Marketing is all the more necessary for lack of substance, as both are/were selling image more than anything else.

Edited by Bluey

Quite true. Marketing is all the more necessary for lack of substance, as both are/were selling image more than anything else.

+1

Peter

Yes they were at the forefront but they weren't the pioneers, in the same way that neither the Stone Roses nor the Inspiral Carpets were the pioneers of the Madchester sound. They were simply in the right place at the right time with the right management etc. Success is never a measure of innovation or brilliance in music, but much more of marketing.

They were still a boy band with semi non-existent musical talent. Most of them couldn't play their instruments to save their lives.

Roger Waters couldn't tune his own bass to start with, but it seems he was able to contribute quite a lot to music as the main writer and producer of concepts for Pink Floyd. I don't think much of their early songs, but Wish You Were Here is quite good.

She Loves You is not written for me, but Elenor Rigby and Penny Lane is... also quite good.

All bands start somewhere. Most don't go anywhere. But there needs to be some real talent if they are to be important and last. The right time and luck were a factor, but innovation and cultural talant helped.

A shame such an important cultural influence get this as a pen.

Agreed. Perhaps with a clip detail like the periscopes, which may look like a fun version of the Miles Davis, and a porthole detail. If you are going over the top, at least take on the pop art of the time. Not Pauls Smith (even though he is fine)

How about a Factory Records pen? Also great pop art from a later time.

You mean a bright yellow 149 in a shape of a submarine with a periscope clip, torpedo tubes on the cap, and a propeller on the end in the shape of the Montblanc star?

Edited by max dog

• 2 weeks later...

From how I understand the Beatles actually has 3. The special edition, limited 1969, and edition 88.

The latter are of very similar design, while the special is simple rainbow.

It has actually grown on me the more I see it. However, at this point it's way down the list on pens I want.

You're right, pwsuba! It actually has 3 versions as you can see from the attached pic (SE, L.E. 1969 and L.E. 88). And from I have read so far, it's a pen that people really like and go for or not. There doesn't seem to be much room for a 'in between'. And, as you guessed, I DO like all three! Getting my hands on the 88 version was no easy feat, they are sold out so there is demand for the series as a whole since I also had to place my order for the 1969 well in advance.

I personally think it is a totally different concept and that is what MB was going for. Total opposite from last year's GC pen (Miles Davis SE was much more similar to the John Lennon Donation, so they couldn't go that way again). And, Davis L.E.1926 and L.E. 90 were also fairly similar between themselves.