The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

Montblanc - The Beatles - What Do You Think?

• Please log in to reply
120 replies to this topic

#61 Bluey

Bluey

Somewhere between green and indigo

• All Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,961 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 02 January 2018 - 03:04

The Beatles at the time were not classical, they were rupturists, foundational, alternative, Montblanc could not make a classic model paying tribute to them, he had to do something transcendent, different, "psychedelic", and that would pick up that personality.

The Beatles were nothing special. They were just a 60s boy band, and 99.9% of what creativity they did have came entirely from George Martin. Tthe Beatles could hardly even play their instruments well, let alone write decent music.

As for the Montblanc pens representing them, those are just gaudy, hideous, overdone, and tasteless. I really hope people don't waste their money on those things.

Edited by Bluey, 02 January 2018 - 03:47.

Mediterranean blue, Asa Goa, China blue, Royal blue, Sapphire blue, Indigo, Washable Blue....the colours of the rainbow.

Sponsored Content

#62 inkstainedruth

inkstainedruth

Ancient Artifact

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,403 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 02 January 2018 - 03:26

I was in NYC last week, and got a chance to get down to Fountain Pen Hospital very late in the afternoon.  I was steps away from buying the Beatles ink -- I was even walking around the store with the box in my hand.  And then I put it back because I just could not justify the price.  For not much more I could buy *two* bottles of ink -- Platinum Classic Lavender Black, and one of the Diamine Shimmer inks.

I may get it at some point, but I think I want to try a sample first.  And I say that as someone who generally really likes purple inks....

The pens?  Meh.  The one with the top that looks like a microphone is kinda tacky looking (although the mic design itself appears to be interesting from an engineering viewpoint.  The stripe-y one, sadly, reminds me of those big fat 10 color ballpoints.  Great fun if you're seven or eight years old (I had one back then).  But for a grownup to be using one?  I'd be raising eyebrows  at business meetings (of course I'd be doing that for MOST of the LE pens I've seen on the market over the past five or six years).  

I want a pen.  Not an expensive souvenir like those giant pencils with the tassels on them only with a high price tag....

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

#63 Tom Kellie

Tom Kellie

From EEF to OBBB

• Member - Gold

• 2,367 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 02 January 2018 - 04:25

~ Apparently not everyone lives in a yellow submarine...at least not in 2018.

Looking at the images posted in this thread by those who’ve purchased the new Beatles pens has been delightful.

They're enjoying their pens, which is great. May the new year be a time of more writing with joyous Beatles pens!

Tom K.

#64 kmik

kmik

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Gold

• PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 02 January 2018 - 10:04

I do agree to the design. The rainbow stripes may commemorate to Sgt. Pepper Album (50 years ago) and to "Beatles". But I commemorate Apple II (starts in 1977 - 40 years ago , when the Apple-Logo  was rainbow like and not monchrome as now. The Apple on the nib may mean "Apple records", i remeber "Apple Computer". The Dispute Apple Records vs. Apple Computer is long ago , and cleared now.

Therefore  the design  includes several iconic designs of a/THE  recent past. This was my reason für Buying the pen, an it is a very well writer with an NBB nib.

regards

kmik

I like the design a lot. The colored barrel provides a strong contrast with the gun metal grip section and piston knob, which is very eye catching. The overall shape of the pen is very nice, the transition from grip section to the barrel and to the piston knob is smooth and nice. I believe the pen is all metal, and has an incredible 83 gram weight. Also, the space gray metal section makes this pen very "modern". For this price, I think it's a good design.

#65 Tom Kellie

Tom Kellie

From EEF to OBBB

• Member - Gold

• 2,367 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 02 January 2018 - 10:24

Therefore  the design  includes several iconic designs of a/THE  recent past. This was my reason für Buying the pen, an it is a very well writer with an NBB nib.

~ kmik:

Thank you for sharing the positive news about your Beatles fountain pen.

It's great to hear that you chose a BB nib. I'm delighted that it's writing well for you.

May you enjoy writing with your Beatles pen in 2018 and beyond!

Tom K.

#66 Hector67

Hector67

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 258 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 02 January 2018 - 16:14

I got the color striped FP in F nib as a gift this christmas and inked it right away. I must say that this is a fun pen to watch, different from what I have. Since I wear jeans and sport button down shirts to the office most days, I feel this pen will be my writting companion for a few months. I still will have my 1914 inked and ready that one day a week I have to suit up. I don't know if I would have purchased the pen myself but I am glad I was given one.

#67 colormind

colormind

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 37 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 02 January 2018 - 16:38

I got the color striped FP in F nib as a gift this christmas and inked it right away. I must say that this is a fun pen to watch, different from what I have. Since I wear jeans and sport button down shirts to the office most days, I feel this pen will be my writting companion for a few months. I still will have my 1914 inked and ready that one day a week I have to suit up. I don't know if I would have purchased the pen myself but I am glad I was given one.

Congrats! That is a really nice christmas gift. Have a lot fun with it. 

#68 FinScherlis

FinScherlis

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 403 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 03 January 2018 - 00:37

I am convinced that the source of the Beatles' design is THC. Not just the design and the pattern is unbalanced but the fountain pen itself is. The threads do hurt during which should not happen with a MB pen and a pen of this price category - but maybe it is intended to remind its user that singing, listening and making music is far more painless... love, love, love...

#69 pwsuba

pwsuba

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 96 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 03 January 2018 - 16:16

How is the pattern unbalanced?
I don't find any issue with the threads, I understand it's personal opinion to wit I find no issue with the threads.

#70 VivienR

VivienR

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,207 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 03 January 2018 - 21:42

A few hours ago I inked my Princesse Grace with the Psychedelic Purple ink, while the ink is gorgeous it isn't psychedelic, which I could not say about the pen itself, which is pretty much... 

#71 FinScherlis

FinScherlis

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 403 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 03 January 2018 - 22:53

How is the pattern unbalanced?
I don't find any issue with the threads, I understand it's personal opinion to wit I find no issue with the threads.

Sorry for my imprecise note: the - in my view - unbalanced pattern is on the limited edition, of course the stipe pattern of the standard edition isn't unbalanced at all! And, jup! The threads issue is always a very personal point.

#72 amitoberai

amitoberai

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 44 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 04 January 2018 - 13:02

More of a toy, loving it now. Fun to use.

Attached Images

• IMG_8954.jpg
  • IMG_8955.jpg

#73 FinScherlis

FinScherlis

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 403 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 04 January 2018 - 15:32

Thank you so much, dear Amitoberai for the pictures! It is so kind of you to provide us with your photos. ... I have to admit that I first saw the heads of the Beatles on the clip when it was explained to me. My first impression was four moustaches!

#74 amitoberai

amitoberai

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 44 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 04 January 2018 - 17:06

Thank you so much, dear Amitoberai for the pictures! It is so kind of you to provide us with your photos. ... I have to admit that I first saw the heads of the Beatles on the clip when it was explained to me. My first impression was four moustaches!

Welcome FunScherlis. I too somehow didn’t take a liking to the clip but the colours attracted me since they were very different to the general Montblanc pens.

#75 FinScherlis

FinScherlis

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 403 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 05 January 2018 - 07:12

Yes, indeed, this combination of happy and friendly colours are quite rare amongst Montblanc pens.

#76 SE1980

SE1980

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 397 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 06 January 2018 - 09:45

Just picked up my pre-ordered LE 1969 today.

Very nice with the mic-like design on the cap-end. How much is it?

Lamy 2000 FP, PP & BP. Mont Blanc Meisterstück 161 Le Grand Platinum BP & Heritage 1912 FP.

#77 DanD

DanD

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Silver

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 08 January 2018 - 01:26

I have never been a big fan of Mont Blanc and have seen them mostly as a status symbol and there were much better daily writers at a more realistic price. That was until the MB Beatles edition came out. It screamed at me "you need to have this one". Bought it last Friday and been writing all weekend. Write like a charm, quite a heavy pen though but fits well in my hand and very balanced.

I think its the colours, something rather rare for MB that got me. I do like colourful pen. Interestingly it came with a vinyl Abby Road album!!! Bizarre since its colours of from the Sgt Pepper album so it seems logic that this is the one they would give with the pen. Has anyone also got a vinyl album with the pen? Just curious

#78 georges zaslavsky

georges zaslavsky

vintageandmodernpenslover

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,767 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 08 January 2018 - 20:27

Just an ugly pen for me

Pens are like watches , once you start a collection, you can hardly go back. And pens like all fine luxury items do improve with time

#79 DanD

DanD

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Silver

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 10 January 2018 - 17:34

I usually tend to put the same color ink as the pen color. With this pen I feel I can put any color whatsoever, always goes with the pen

#80 Nathanb

Nathanb

Meisterstück

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 417 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 January 2018 - 01:50

I fancy the 1969 LE edition, so much so I may just buy it... 

Sponsored Content

|