The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

Pilot Custom Heritage 91 Barrel Cracked.fix?

pilot crack custom heritage 91

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 nikhil seenivas

nikhil seenivas

Dipped Only

• Member - Silver

• Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 05 December 2017 - 17:06

I bought it in August 2016 and so the one year warranty is up and I cant send it back to Japan for repair. Any DIY repairs to help the crack from spreading or hopefully fill the crack? How does superglue sound like a possible fix? Will it be able to seep into the crack and seal? Or what other alternatives do I have?

FB_IMG_1512460318537.jpg

Sponsored Content

#2 hari317

hari317

Classic

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,560 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 05 December 2017 - 17:27

Superglue is a very bad idea.

How did it crack there? Did it fall?
In case you wish to write to me, pls use ONLY email by clicking here. I do not check PMs. Thank you.

#3 Dr.Grace

Dr.Grace

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,773 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 05 December 2017 - 19:14

I’d still recommend contacting Pilot, just in case.
These are the times that try men's souls. The summer soldier and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the service of their country; he that stands it now, deserves the love and thanks of man and woman. Tyranny, like hell, is not easily conquered; yet we have this consolation with us, that the harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph. What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives everything its value.--Thomas Paine, "The American Crisis", 1776

#4 nikhil seenivas

nikhil seenivas

Dipped Only

• Member - Silver

• Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 06 December 2017 - 08:08

Superglue is a very bad idea.

How did it crack there? Did it fall?

yeah it fell from a tabletop

#5 Chrissy

Chrissy

Ancient Artifact

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,568 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 06 December 2017 - 08:14

Not superglue!

First, I would also ask Pilot. If they can't fix it, then possibly consider an epoxy resin. I'm not sure how well it would work though.

flying-letter-exc.png

#6 Tweel

Tweel

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,699 posts

Posted 06 December 2017 - 23:18

It seems like the thing to do would be to remove the end piece and ring from the end of the barrel, if possible, and then use a methylene chloride solvent cement for acrylic.  Open the crack very slightly to wick the solvent cement in from a fine watercolor brush, then clamp the crack just enough to hold it shut while it cures, then clean up any now-hardened bead of material that may have squeezed out of the crack, along with any other marring of the surface caused by the solvent cement.

Edited by Tweel, 06 December 2017 - 23:22.

fpn_1375035941__postcard_swap.png * * * "Don't neglect to write me several times from different places when you may."
-- John Purdue (1863)

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: pilot, crack, custom heritage 91

Sponsored Content

|