The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

Noodlers Ink

• Please log in to reply
69 replies to this topic

#61 displacermoose

displacermoose

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 441 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 January 2018 - 23:39

My 3776 M is a new KTC pen. I've been using it for nearly a week with no issues.

Yet another Sarah.

Sponsored Content

#62 KKay

KKay

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 696 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 12 January 2018 - 04:43

I am a huge fan of Noodler's ink.  I have two of the Warden Series inks, 1 bulletproof, several with water resistance.  I also like the inks I've tried that he makes for Dromgoole's!  Now I will also say I tend to use samples before buying a bottle.  Some inks were not for me at all.  Others were outstanding.  I have probably 3-4 of his inks on my wish list for the future. 

#63 TruthPil

TruthPil

Flexy obliqueness!

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,668 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 12 January 2018 - 06:43

My 3776 M is a new KTC pen. I've been using it for nearly a week with no issues.

This is great news! Are you going to dedicate the pen to KTC?
​Looking forward to hearing the results after a few more weeks.

Currently where I live a black 3776 goes for the same price as a Parson's Essential shipped, so if the 3776 really thrives with KTC (i.e., no hard starts, no clogging, and good wet writing that shows off the ink) then I may head that direction.

The 3776 seems to have the best of both worlds in that it has the slip-n-seal cap system like the Preppy, yet doesn't have the Preppy's feed system with the collector fins in the section that kept getting gunked up with KTC when I tried it.

Edited by TruthPil, 12 January 2018 - 11:36.

fpn_1451608922__truthpil_signature_small

#64 IndigoBOB

IndigoBOB

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 814 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 12 January 2018 - 07:37

+1

#65 displacermoose

displacermoose

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 441 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 January 2018 - 03:36

I will certainly report back after more thorough resting, but I can't see myself dedicating the pen to KTC. I don't need to have KTC loaded all the time and this pen just begs to write with all my sheeny Sailors and a few more very dry (Scabiosa) or generally temperamental (Sargasso Sea) inks. I generally go for Japanese fine or mf nibs so as a juicy medium it is one of the biggest I own.

Yet another Sarah.

#66 TruthPil

TruthPil

Flexy obliqueness!

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,668 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 January 2018 - 08:09

I will certainly report back after more thorough resting, but I can't see myself dedicating the pen to KTC. I don't need to have KTC loaded all the time and this pen just begs to write with all my sheeny Sailors and a few more very dry (Scabiosa) or generally temperamental (Sargasso Sea) inks. I generally go for Japanese fine or mf nibs so as a juicy medium it is one of the biggest I own.

Yeah, I guess a 3776 is a little too pricey to devote to a single ink you might not want to use every day.

I just cleaned my Parson's Essential after half a fill of KTC and found it pretty much impossible to get all the ink residue off the underside of the nib. Scrubbing with my finger nail or q-tip got most of it off, but there are still a couple spots that will probably take some soaking in ammonia solution to get rid of. \

I'm concerned with the 3776 that you won't be able to get all that residue out from between the feed and nib without taking pulling the nib out (which I believe Platinum says not to do).

fpn_1451608922__truthpil_signature_small

#67 amberleadavis

amberleadavis

Inky! En-Abe-Lawyer

• FPN Super Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,054 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 18 January 2018 - 03:10

Yeah, I guess a 3776 is a little too pricey to devote to a single ink you might not want to use every day.

I just cleaned my Parson's Essential after half a fill of KTC and found it pretty much impossible to get all the ink residue off the underside of the nib. Scrubbing with my finger nail or q-tip got most of it off, but there are still a couple spots that will probably take some soaking in ammonia solution to get rid of. \

I'm concerned with the 3776 that you won't be able to get all that residue out from between the feed and nib without taking pulling the nib out (which I believe Platinum says not to do).

Actually, it will clean out with a dose of glycerin water.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Want to get a special letter / gift from me, then create a Ghostly Avatar  

Participate in the newest Inky TODs: 

Why do I like those nibs? 

What do I like about my handwriting? 

Whose handwriting do I like?  

Which Script Will I learn? 

Which Inks for my Handwriting

Ink comparisons:  The Great PPS Comparison  366 Inks in 2016

Check out inks sorted by color:  Blue Purple Brown  Red Green Orange Black  Pinks  Yellows  Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal

#68 displacermoose

displacermoose

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 441 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 18 January 2018 - 03:49

The Sailor that serves as my other KTC approved pen isn't difficult to clean. I use a bit of ammonia and a soft toothbrush on it (no need to pull the nib) and I expect the same to work on the 3776. I'll try Amber's suggestion of glycerin water next time. Less stinky.

Yet another Sarah.

#69 Crashbox

Crashbox

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Silver

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 31 January 2018 - 01:25

For the record, I only have four (soon to be six) inks, all of them Noodler's. They are: Bad Black Moccasin (two bottles, one for work), Bad Blue Heron, Marine Green and Widow Maker Red. In the mail are Blue Ghost and Apache Sunset. I like the bottles as well as the inks. They work well for me.

Which reminds me... I need to mix up more of what I call "Bad Blue-Black Flying Water Snake" :) which is a 3:1 mix of Bad Blue Heron and Bad Black Moccasin, respectively.

I'm still a relative noob at this (less than two years), so my collection of inks- and pens- is very small indeed. Also, in the past I tended to purchase them more for utilitarian purposes than anything else... but that's changing a bit now.

#70 IndigoBOB

IndigoBOB

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 814 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 31 January 2018 - 10:19

That is pretty pricey, but the 3776 will also be a great pen for any ink you throw at it.  I don't like to post pens, but it was one of the most comfortable pens to post that I've used.  

The 3776 is one of the best value pens out there IMO.  It's on my list to get.  The only reason it's not at the top is because I really do have to post it to use it, otherwise it's a tad to short and light for my primary tastes.

Sponsored Content

|