The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

My Second Pelikan, An M605 Blue Striated

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#21 Kevan

Kevan

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 262 posts

Posted 05 December 2017 - 20:39

My M600 is the blue/gold version.  But I think the blue binde looks much, much better with Rhodium trim.

Yes, they breed.  You'll start saying "Well, that M200 Special Edition color looks nice, I should get one before they go out of production," and "Everyone talks about an M800, I wonder what's so great about it?"  And pretty soon you'll have both. 

Then you'll need an M400 to complete the set.  Then you'll say "That Anthracite grey looks amazing....." and "Someday, I'll want a flagship pen.  The M1000 shows up on Massdrop sometimes at a pretty good discount...."

Sponsored Content

#22 PAKMAN

PAKMAN

Say that again, I have a pen here somewhere...

• FPN Super Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,541 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 06 December 2017 - 16:51

Blue stripe Pel's are my favorite! Have the 400 600 and 800. I'd have a 1000 if they made it. Congrats!

PAKMAN

minibanner.gif             fpn_1321906507__vanness_sign.jpg 

My Favorite Pen Restorer                            My favorite Brick and Mortar              

now selling online!

#23 inkstainedruth

inkstainedruth

Ancient Artifact

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,273 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 06 December 2017 - 17:51

My M600 is the blue/gold version.  But I think the blue binde looks much, much better with Rhodium trim.

Yes, they breed.  You'll start saying "Well, that M200 Special Edition color looks nice, I should get one before they go out of production," and "Everyone talks about an M800, I wonder what's so great about it?"  And pretty soon you'll have both. 

Then you'll need an M400 to complete the set.  Then you'll say "That Anthracite grey looks amazing....." and "Someday, I'll want a flagship pen.  The M1000 shows up on Massdrop sometimes at a pretty good discount...."

Yeah, that's kinda what happened with me :rolleyes: (only I don't get the larger pens -- M200s and M400s are a better size and weight for me).  The new White Transparent M600 was surprisingly light, compared with my experience with other M600s (someone in my local pen club just got one) -- but seeing the pen in person sort of dimmed my desire for one somehow; it's a pretty enough pen, but didn't grab me the way some other birds did.  

And yeah, I was one of the people saying "That Anthracite grey looks amazing...."  Back when they came out with the M805 size a couple of years ago, I was going "Man, if they made that in an M400 size I'd be knocking over banks to pay for one...."  And then they did, and fortunately I didn't have to resort to a life of crime.  For it OR the M205 Striated Blue. ;)  Although it was a little startling to get a phone call from PayPal asking if it was a legitimate charge to my account -- given the price for the two pens, and that the payment was going to Europe....  :huh:  ["Uh... why yes, yes it is, thanks for calling...."]

I still have way more vintage Parkers -- but my modern and modern-ish Pelikans are my most expensive pens (well, except for the 1950s 400 with its OB nib -- it's right up there, too...  :blush:). 

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

#24 Kevan

Kevan

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 262 posts

Posted 06 December 2017 - 21:19

I still haven't gotten an M1000....yet.  Every time I use my M805 I say "Do I really need a larger pen than this?" especially since I have a few larger pens (but they are C/C pens and lighter in the hand).  It's fun to sign with, fun to write a letter with, but it's not very portable and I don't like it to write journal entries.  Ordinarily the M800 Renaissance Brown would be RIGHT up my alley.  I was surprisingly able to resist it.  I'll probably be able to resist an M1000, unless I write with one at a shop or something and fall in love with the nib.

But if (when!) the M600 Tortoise Brown comes out, Pelikan can just take my money.  That's the only other model I'm waiting for and the only other Pelikan I want.  They have to bring it out sometime.  I'm waiting....

#25 Calabria

Calabria

Pelikano

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,124 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 06 December 2017 - 23:50

sweet

i stuck with the 800 Green and bought a few nibs through the years, I can locate half of them I think....

That sounds like a purist approach. I wish I had that sense of focus. Where did you buy your nibs?
"If you can spend a perfectly useless afternoon in a perfectly useless manner, you have learned how to live."
– Lin Yu-T'ang

#26 sargetalon

sargetalon

The answer to life, the universe, and everything

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,615 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 08 December 2017 - 03:12

Blue stripe Pel's are my favorite! Have the 400 600 and 800. I'd have a 1000 if they made it. Congrats!

Mine too!  Something about the looks really grabs you.

PELIKAN - Too many birds in the flock to count.  My pen chest has proven to be a most fertile breeding ground.

fpn_1508261203__fpn_logo_300x150.jpg

THE PELIKAN'S PERCH - A growing reference site for all things Pelikan

#27 chromantic

chromantic

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,479 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 December 2017 - 02:21

​Red or blue, blue or red? Both are so awesome I just can't decide, so I side-stepped the question and got a Stresemann.  :D 

It's hard work to tell which is Old Harry when everybody's got boots on.

#28 Kevan

Kevan

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 262 posts

Posted 11 December 2017 - 03:02

​Red or blue, blue or red? Both are so awesome I just can't decide, so I side-stepped the question and got a Stresemann.  :D

There's conflicting information on this, but apparently the Red finish may have been been discontinued.  Some say no and some say yes, but there seems to be a dwindling number of them online.  Anyone who wants a red Souveran should jump on one if they find one.

And yes, the Stresemann is lovely.  I wasn't in love with it when I first got in 2 years ago, but now whenever I see it, I say "Was I crazy?  It's a perfect color combo!"  If you can't decide, it's a perfect choice.

#29 inkstainedruth

inkstainedruth

Ancient Artifact

• Member - Gold

• 12,273 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 December 2017 - 03:20

:lticaptd:

Well, admittedly I got the M405 Stresemann and the the M405 Striated Blue at the same time....  

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

#30 chromantic

chromantic

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,479 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 13 December 2017 - 05:18

And ... the blue-striped wins, stumbled across one for a very reasonable price. But I have an offer in on a red-striped, too - fingers crossed.

ETA: Offer on red was accepted. Yippee!

Edited by chromantic, 13 December 2017 - 07:02.

#31 Bo Bo Olson

Bo Bo Olson

Ancient Artifact

• Member - Gold

• 17,922 posts

Posted 14 December 2017 - 00:06

The 605 blue striped or the blue stripped are pens I'd like to own, even the red stripped ones.

www.nibs.com/blog/nibster-writes/nibs-germany      Info on Bock nibs

Due to Mauricio's improved definition of Super-flex, I try not use the term Easy Full Flex, but fail...sigh.

Semi-flex is an “almost” flex; not a ‘flex’ nib. It is great for regular writing with a touch of flair. It can give you some fancy; but it is not made for real fancy writing. For bit more of that get a maxi-semi-flex. Both spread tines 3X.  Those are not "Flex" nibs. 

Wider than Normal does not exist. Wider than Japanese does. Every company has it's very own standard + slop/tolerance. Developed from the users of it's pens and inks only; not the users or inks of other companies pens. The size you grind a nib to, is your standard only. Paper and ink matter to nib width. Thank god for 1/2 sizes or it would be boring.

#32 chromantic

chromantic

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,479 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 December 2017 - 04:58

There's conflicting information on this, but apparently the Red finish may have been been discontinued.  Some say no and some say yes, but there seems to be a dwindling number of them online.  Anyone who wants a red Souveran should jump on one if they find one.

Thanks, Kevan, that was the spur I needed to search again. The same seller I got the Stresemann from had a couple. :)

#33 Kevan

Kevan

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 262 posts

Posted 15 December 2017 - 01:31

I got one too....after debating it for more than a year, and telling myself I had already gotten enough pens in 2017.  Amazon had one on sale, and I had rewards points to burn.  It just looked too good, and if they were going away, well....  Besides, I doubt Pelikan will release the M600 Brown Tortoise anytime soon.

It arrived today.  The red stripes look wonderful in person.  I daresay this is Pelikan's prettiest finish of the "regular" Souveran colors, with the Anthracite grey close behind.  If they did indeed discontinue this, it's a shame. 

#34 chromantic

chromantic

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,479 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 16 December 2017 - 03:53

Both the red- and blue-striped arrived today. They're both so beautiful, it's easy to see why I could never decide between them and count myself fortunate to have had the opportunity (and the means) to get them at the same time.

#35 langere

langere

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,178 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 16 December 2017 - 04:15

I am pretty sure that the red striated ones have been discontinued for quite some time now. I lamented the fact when I found out and it's been years.

Erick

Currently in Rotation:

Platinum 3776 Ascending Dragon "M" nib running Iroshizuku Murasaki-Shibuku

Visconti Saturno "F" nib running Rohrer & Klingner Alt-Goldgruen

Cross Townsend "F" nib running Noodler's Heart of Darkness

Sponsored Content

|