My Second Pelikan, An M605 Blue Striated

MightyEighth

My M600 is the blue/gold version. But I think the blue binde looks much, much better with Rhodium trim.

Yes, they breed. You'll start saying "Well, that M200 Special Edition color looks nice, I should get one before they go out of production," and "Everyone talks about an M800, I wonder what's so great about it?" And pretty soon you'll have both.

Then you'll need an M400 to complete the set. Then you'll say "That Anthracite grey looks amazing....." and "Someday, I'll want a flagship pen. The M1000 shows up on Massdrop sometimes at a pretty good discount...."

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• MightyEighth

• Kevan

• chromantic

• inkstainedruth

Blue stripe Pel's are my favorite! Have the 400 600 and 800. I'd have a 1000 if they made it. Congrats!

PAKMAN

minibanner.gif                                    Vanness-world-final.png.c1b120b90855ce70a8fd70dd342ebc00.png

My Favorite Pen Restorer                                             My Favorite Pen Store

Vanness Pens - Selling Online!

My M600 is the blue/gold version. But I think the blue binde looks much, much better with Rhodium trim.

Yes, they breed. You'll start saying "Well, that M200 Special Edition color looks nice, I should get one before they go out of production," and "Everyone talks about an M800, I wonder what's so great about it?" And pretty soon you'll have both.

Then you'll need an M400 to complete the set. Then you'll say "That Anthracite grey looks amazing....." and "Someday, I'll want a flagship pen. The M1000 shows up on Massdrop sometimes at a pretty good discount...."

Yeah, that's kinda what happened with me :rolleyes: (only I don't get the larger pens -- M200s and M400s are a better size and weight for me). The new White Transparent M600 was surprisingly light, compared with my experience with other M600s (someone in my local pen club just got one) -- but seeing the pen in person sort of dimmed my desire for one somehow; it's a pretty enough pen, but didn't grab me the way some other birds did.

And yeah, I was one of the people saying "That Anthracite grey looks amazing...." Back when they came out with the M805 size a couple of years ago, I was going "Man, if they made that in an M400 size I'd be knocking over banks to pay for one...." And then they did, and fortunately I didn't have to resort to a life of crime. For it OR the M205 Striated Blue. ;) Although it was a little startling to get a phone call from PayPal asking if it was a legitimate charge to my account -- given the price for the two pens, and that the payment was going to Europe.... :huh: ["Uh... why yes, yes it is, thanks for calling...."]

I still have way more vintage Parkers -- but my modern and modern-ish Pelikans are my most expensive pens (well, except for the 1950s 400 with its OB nib -- it's right up there, too... :blush:).

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

I still haven't gotten an M1000....yet. Every time I use my M805 I say "Do I really need a larger pen than this?" especially since I have a few larger pens (but they are C/C pens and lighter in the hand). It's fun to sign with, fun to write a letter with, but it's not very portable and I don't like it to write journal entries. Ordinarily the M800 Renaissance Brown would be RIGHT up my alley. I was surprisingly able to resist it. I'll probably be able to resist an M1000, unless I write with one at a shop or something and fall in love with the nib.

But if (when!) the M600 Tortoise Brown comes out, Pelikan can just take my money. That's the only other model I'm waiting for and the only other Pelikan I want. They have to bring it out sometime. I'm waiting....

sweet

i stuck with the 800 Green and bought a few nibs through the years, I can locate half of them I think....

That sounds like a purist approach. I wish I had that sense of focus. Where did you buy your nibs?

"If you can spend a perfectly useless afternoon in a perfectly useless manner, you have learned how to live."

– Lin Yu-T'ang

Blue stripe Pel's are my favorite! Have the 400 600 and 800. I'd have a 1000 if they made it. Congrats!

Mine too! Something about the looks really grabs you.

PELIKAN - Too many birds in the flock to count. My pen chest has proven to be a most fertile breeding ground.

fpn_1508261203__fpn_logo_300x150.jpg

THE PELIKAN'S PERCH - A growing reference site for all things Pelikan

​Red or blue, blue or red? Both are so awesome I just can't decide, so I side-stepped the question and got a Stresemann. :D

It's hard work to tell which is Old Harry when everybody's got boots on.

​Red or blue, blue or red? Both are so awesome I just can't decide, so I side-stepped the question and got a Stresemann. :D

There's conflicting information on this, but apparently the Red finish may have been been discontinued. Some say no and some say yes, but there seems to be a dwindling number of them online. Anyone who wants a red Souveran should jump on one if they find one.

And yes, the Stresemann is lovely. I wasn't in love with it when I first got in 2 years ago, but now whenever I see it, I say "Was I crazy? It's a perfect color combo!" If you can't decide, it's a perfect choice.

:lticaptd:

Well, admittedly I got the M405 Stresemann and the the M405 Striated Blue at the same time....

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

And ... the blue-striped wins, stumbled across one for a very reasonable price. But I have an offer in on a red-striped, too - fingers crossed.

ETA: Offer on red was accepted. Yippee!

Edited by chromantic

The 605 blue striped or the blue stripped are pens I'd like to own, even the red stripped ones.

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

There's conflicting information on this, but apparently the Red finish may have been been discontinued. Some say no and some say yes, but there seems to be a dwindling number of them online. Anyone who wants a red Souveran should jump on one if they find one.

Thanks, Kevan, that was the spur I needed to search again. The same seller I got the Stresemann from had a couple. :)

I got one too....after debating it for more than a year, and telling myself I had already gotten enough pens in 2017. Amazon had one on sale, and I had rewards points to burn. It just looked too good, and if they were going away, well.... Besides, I doubt Pelikan will release the M600 Brown Tortoise anytime soon.

It arrived today. The red stripes look wonderful in person. I daresay this is Pelikan's prettiest finish of the "regular" Souveran colors, with the Anthracite grey close behind. If they did indeed discontinue this, it's a shame.

Both the red- and blue-striped arrived today. They're both so beautiful, it's easy to see why I could never decide between them and count myself fortunate to have had the opportunity (and the means) to get them at the same time.

I am pretty sure that the red striated ones have been discontinued for quite some time now. I lamented the fact when I found out and it's been years.

Erick

Using right now:

Visconti Voyager 30 "M" nib running Birmingham Streetcar

Jinhao 9019 "EF" nib running Birmingham Railroad Spike

Stipula Adagio "F" nib running Birmingham Violet Sea Snail

Pelikan M1000 "F" nib running Birmingham Sugar Kelp