My Second Pelikan, An M605 Blue Striated

MightyEighth

Just took delivery of this 2012 M605 blue striated to join my 400NN green striated. The nib is an M, which is much fatter and wetter than I'm used to, but I really wanted this particular pen -- an M60x blue striated with rhodium trim. It writes very smoothly with only a touch of feedback. For EDC, though, I am planning to swap in an EF nib as it's just more practical with the common papers I use at work. I really love the look and feel of this pen.

38833120891_1e2bb02925_c.jpg

Ink 'em if you got 'em!

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• MightyEighth

• Kevan

• chromantic

• inkstainedruth

Very nice! Its photos like these that make me feel like waiting and saving for an M600 instead of jumping on a 205...

Whenever you are fed up with life, start writing: ink is the great cure for all human ills, as I found out long ago.

~C.S. Lewis

--------------

Current Rotation:

Edison Menlo <m italic>, Lamy 2000 <EF>, Wing Sung 601 <F>

Pilot VP <F>, Pilot Metropolitan <F>, Pilot Penmanship <EF>

Nice catch! These are getting hard to find at a reasonable price. I'm sure you'll enjoy it.

"Inspiration exists, but it has to find you working." -Pablo Picasso

Very nice. Those are really gorgeous.

Brad

"Words are, of course, the most powerful drug used by mankind" - Rudyard Kipling
"None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain-pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try." - Mark Twain

Two tone nib should be easy to swap out.

I got a Marine Blue 605 a few months ago with an F nib that is fairly broad. I wanted to replace it but just got used to it. Enjoy!

"If you can spend a perfectly useless afternoon in a perfectly useless manner, you have learned how to live."

– Lin Yu-T'ang

Two tone nib should be easy to swap out.

I got a Marine Blue 605 a few months ago with an F nib that is fairly broad. I wanted to replace it but just got used to it. Enjoy!

The same thing may well happen to me. Then again, the more I think on it the more I get the sense that one way or another, by buying nib units or more pens, I'm going to end up with a range of nibs.

Ink 'em if you got 'em!

Very nice! Its photos like these that make me feel like waiting and saving for an M600 instead of jumping on a 205...

You should. The 600 is the most versatile model Pelikan makes. The 200/400 is small, while the 600 suits all hand sizes. It also takes 200-series nibs. There's a lot of versatility to be had with one.

I bought an M605 solid blue a few months ago with an M nib. I was all set to send it out to be ground to an F. When the pen came I found the nib wrote like a fine stub. Someone had ground it to a fine stub. It is very pleasant.

Edited by pajaro

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

Your m605 looks great. Looks just like my m805. I had really thought about buying a m60x recently. I think the thing that holds me back the most is I like the balance and weight of the m805 with its metal piston block and the m60x ones use plastic parts.

Your m605 looks great. Looks just like my m805. I had really thought about buying a m60x recently. I think the thing that holds me back the most is I like the balance and weight of the m805 with its metal piston block and the m60x ones use plastic parts.

Ink 'em if you got 'em!

I totally get those differences, but for me the M60x model size and weight better suits me for carrying in my shirt pocket.

Ink 'em if you got 'em!

I totally get those differences, but for me the M60x model size and weight better suits me for carrying in my shirt pocket.

I think you should be happy in your new pen! You got a great pen.

I think you should be happy in your new pen! You got a great pen.

Thanks! I am liking it quite a bit.

Ink 'em if you got 'em!

Congrats on the new pen. I have a M805 blue striated and IMO it is most the attractive "regular" production Pelikan. I like larger pens so the 800 is the right size for me. However, I never knew they made a 600 series pen in that color/trim.

However, I never knew they made a 600 series pen in that color/trim.

Thanks. It's interesting (odd? disappointing?) that you can't get the same color/trim combos in the Souveran models for each size as a standard offering. As you can see in the linked pages below, the M605 blue stripe with rhodium trim was only briefly offered a few years back. I prefer this combination over the gold trim with blue stripe, and I feel fortunate to have found a nice one for sale.

- Marc

Ink 'em if you got 'em!

Congratulations. I think the striated blue is the prettiest color of the Pelikan "standard" bindes (but it wasn't till this spring that I was able to snag an M405 in blue. I could have saved a little bit of money and gotten a M400 instead -- but there was just something about how the rhodium trim looked with the blue binde.... :wub:

Oh, fair warning. Pelikans breed like rabbits. And they're WAAAAY pricier than vintage Esterbrooks are.... :blush:

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

Congratulations. I think the striated blue is the prettiest color of the Pelikan "standard" bindes (but it wasn't till this spring that I was able to snag an M405 in blue. I could have saved a little bit of money and gotten a M400 instead -- but there was just something about how the rhodium trim looked with the blue binde.... :wub:

Oh, fair warning. Pelikans breed like rabbits. And they're WAAAAY pricier than vintage Esterbrooks are.... :blush:

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

Thanks, Ruth. I am watchful of the breeding as I do suffer from collector's disease. I'm trying hard to exercise restraint. While I "want" to have a full set of R-G-B striations, I know I don't "need" it. But if I do have more than one color, then I can have different nib sizes to pick from. And so the rationalizing begins.

Ink 'em if you got 'em!

Beautiful! I find the blue looks even better in person - the color has more depth and vibrance. I wish they sold the M1000 in blue. Or better yet - it's better that they don't.