The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

Anyone Know A Cheap Way To Get A #6 Stub Nib?

stub nib #6 nib

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 calvin_0

calvin_0

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 95 posts

Posted 04 December 2017 - 06:36

Right now, the cheapest #6 stub nib is nemosine's is which is around 10 bucks.. So I wonder, does anyone else know a cheaper one? I just want to try out a stub nib.. 

Thanks.

Edited by calvin_0, 04 December 2017 - 06:38.

Sponsored Content

#2 Ted A

Ted A

Collectors Item

• FPN Supporter - Rhodium

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,245 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 04 December 2017 - 13:44

Pilot Plumix
To hold a pen is to be at war. - Voltaire

#3 EMQG

EMQG

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 228 posts

Posted 04 December 2017 - 13:50

Plumix is a proprietary size.

OP, if you're okay with proprietary nibs, I can sell you a Dollar 717i pen with a stub (self-ground) for $10 shipped. I can do the same with a Jinhao x750 that I'll grind down, if you want. The Jinhaos use a #6. $12 shipped for the Jinhao.

Edited by EMQG, 04 December 2017 - 13:50.

#4 AK-47

AK-47

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 164 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 04 December 2017 - 17:07

Fairly sure the Nemosine is the cheapest youll find - Id bet if you do find anything cheaper itll likely be poor quality and not representative of a good stub. Nemosine also offers a 0.6 and 0.8mm - less drastic than your usual 1.0/1.1 so less of a disappointment if you decide you dont love the line variation.

EDIT - not sure why my posts keep dropping all the apostrophes...

Edited by AK-47, 04 December 2017 - 17:09.

#5 benbot517

benbot517

A Dapper Chap

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 653 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 04 December 2017 - 23:18

If you want to try a hand-ground nib, fpnibs.com has the for 20 euros. I've never done business with them, but I hear they do top notch work. Otherwise they also have the untipped 1.1 and 1.5 nibs too.

Edited by benbot517, 04 December 2017 - 23:19.

"Oh deer."

#6 Randal6393

Randal6393

Love italic handwriting.

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,430 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 05 December 2017 - 00:02

Some online pen shops carry Knox nibs in the 1.1 mm size for around $6.00. Not a great nib, but a good one. You can buy a $3.00 Noodler's nib and cut it with a pair of diagonal pliers to make a stub nib. Usually, need to round off the edges and corners with a stone to get it to work.

Would recommend trying the Goulet 1.1 mm nibs or the Nemosine. The quality in both nibs is better than most, as good as a custom stub in many cases. And if you get a poor nib, you won't really be trying a stub nib.

Best of luck,

Yours,
Randal

From a person's actions, we may infer attitudes, beliefs, --- and values. We do not know these characteristics outright. The human dichotomies of trust and distrust, honor and duplicity, love and hate --- all depend on internal states we cannot directly experience. Isn't this what adds zest to our life?

#7 calvin_0

calvin_0

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 95 posts

Posted 05 December 2017 - 01:21

looks like it's either plumix or nemosine.. thanks everyone.

#8 sub_bluesy

sub_bluesy

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 56 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 07 December 2017 - 09:59

I picked up a Nemosine re-entry stub and it needed some work to make reasonable. Also picked up a Goulet Jowo and it needed some work also. I would say roll the dice on a Monteverde. Those have been pretty good overall for me. Still needed some work, but a good stub.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: stub nib, #6 nib

Sponsored Content

|