The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

Anyone Selling Modified Noodlers Nibs?

4 replies to this topic

#1 RockingLR

RockingLR

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 03 December 2017 - 21:11

I'm not sure if this is the right place for this post so i'll apologize in advance.  I have recently gotten a Noodlers Konrad and I've had fun practicing flex and I really enjoy using it but it's really too broad for my tastes...Mine appears to be around a medium normal writing.  I'm just not mechanically inclined at all and I know should i attempt the mods on my own I'd trash it, plush I don't have any tools that would come close enough for work on a nib, and I can't afford those nice vintage nibs. 

I use a Pilot metro fine for everyday writing, and I was wondering if anyone here sells the modified Noodlers nibs that have been ground to fine/xtra fine and have the "ease of flex" mod to them? If no one on here sells them can anyone point me to someone who does? 

Sponsored Content

#2 Bo Bo Olson

Bo Bo Olson

Ancient Artifact

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,896 posts

Posted 04 December 2017 - 10:28

Pendelton Brown........often refereed to as PB here on the com, has Ahab nibs with the Ahab Mod....two half moons ground out taking the pen from a hard semi-flex to an easy superflex....first stage, Easy Full Flex.

I'm sure he can do your Konrad.......even make it skinny.

www.nibs.com/blog/nibster-writes/nibs-germany      Info on Bock nibs

Due to Mauricio's improved definition of Super-flex, I try not use the term Easy Full Flex, but fail...sigh.

Semi-flex is an “almost” flex; not a ‘flex’ nib. It is great for regular writing with a touch of flair. It can give you some fancy; but it is not made for real fancy writing. For bit more of that get a maxi-semi-flex. Both spread tines 3X.  Those are not "Flex" nibs. 

Wider than Normal does not exist. Wider than Japanese does. Every company has it's very own standard + slop/tolerance. Developed from the users of it's pens and inks only; not the users or inks of other companies pens. The size you grind a nib to, is your standard only. Paper and ink matter to nib width. Thank god for 1/2 sizes or it would be boring.

#3 RockingLR

RockingLR

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 04 December 2017 - 14:18

Thank you! :) 

#4 Bo Bo Olson

Bo Bo Olson

Ancient Artifact

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,896 posts

Posted 04 December 2017 - 15:52

You are welcome.

I have a slew of semi&maxi-semi-flex nibs and 5 or so Superflex in the first level Easy Full Flex and two Wet Noodles.

For a "Superflex" nib having to press with semi-flex pressure like an Ahab is a lot of work. Once my Ahab was modified with the two half moon removal, it ended up Easy Full Flex, so went from the box to out for a year............I have too many pens to keep any pen out for longer than that.

It became a fun nib, giving me good line superflex variation with a bit more than slight pressure.

It will be more fun, with less effort......True the nib may only last 2 years so modified, but it's two fun years.

www.nibs.com/blog/nibster-writes/nibs-germany      Info on Bock nibs

Due to Mauricio's improved definition of Super-flex, I try not use the term Easy Full Flex, but fail...sigh.

Semi-flex is an “almost” flex; not a ‘flex’ nib. It is great for regular writing with a touch of flair. It can give you some fancy; but it is not made for real fancy writing. For bit more of that get a maxi-semi-flex. Both spread tines 3X.  Those are not "Flex" nibs. 

Wider than Normal does not exist. Wider than Japanese does. Every company has it's very own standard + slop/tolerance. Developed from the users of it's pens and inks only; not the users or inks of other companies pens. The size you grind a nib to, is your standard only. Paper and ink matter to nib width. Thank god for 1/2 sizes or it would be boring.

#5 RockingLR

RockingLR

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 04 December 2017 - 17:57

It became a fun nib, giving me good line superflex variation with a bit more than slight pressure.

It will be more fun, with less effort......True the nib may only last 2 years so modified, but it's two fun years.

Well, at least we can buy replacement nibs now so for $7 for a new nib I'd say 2 years of fun and enjoyment with a mod is so worth it! :D While i'm enjoying the flex as it is to play with using less pressure would sure be a blast. I don't use it as an everyday writer so I may get even more then a few years out of it :D Cause who doesn't want to embrace their inner calligrapher and play with the inks.....mine may never be good enough to send to people but that doesn't mean i can't have fun with it. hehehe. 

Reply to this topic

Sponsored Content

|