The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

Mont Blanc Newbie. Need Some Help.

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 jdwhitak

jdwhitak

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 35 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 03 December 2017 - 20:34

So, I've been a fountain pen user for many years now. I have Lamy, Pelikan and Pilot pens. I'm looking to get my first Mont Blanc. Preferably a 149 or 146. However, I have some questions about this brand.

1) New ones are too expensive for me so I'll have to buy used. What are some reputable sellers where I can have a reasonable assurance that the pen is authentic and not counterfeit?

2) Any older pen is fine with me, but is there a sweet spot for vintage pens in terms of quality vs. price? I don't want to go over $400 US.

3) Are the vintage 149s/146s considered better made than more recent ones?

Thanks for any and all help.

Sponsored Content

#2 Ghost Plane

Ghost Plane

Indescribable

• FPN Hon. Admin

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 27,161 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 03 December 2017 - 20:39

Fountain Pen Hospital periodically stocks nice used ones in their back room and they’ll take back a pen if you decide you don’t get on with it once it’s in hand. Bryant at Chatterley Luxuries gets nice consignments and can talk you through your preferences and make excellent recommendations. (Warning- he’s a major enabler of my addiction, er, buying.)

#3 zaddick

zaddick

BROAD Side Ambassador

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,930 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 03 December 2017 - 21:31

Peyton Street Pens is a good seller who checks pens and tunes them. They offer a warranty and far prices. They don't specialize in MB but often have some.

The classifieds here are another good option, but no warranty.

#4 smiffy20000

smiffy20000

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 220 posts

Posted 03 December 2017 - 21:45

Great advice so far on sellers, also have a look at Go pens, their December catalogue is available from December 11.

https://www.gopens.com/

Your questions:

1) New ones are too expensive for me so I'll have to buy used. What are some reputable sellers where I can have a reasonable assurance that the pen is authentic and not counterfeit?

I think you would struggle to find any good US seller of counterfeit MBs

2) Any older pen is fine with me, but is there a sweet spot for vintage pens in terms of quality vs. price? I don't want to go over $400 US.

Your target price should be fine for a lightly used 2000-2010 146, perhaps you might get lucky on a 149. much older MB149s attract much higher prices.  The last 149 I bought was a 2009 in the presentation box with ink for $380, that was a bargain however.

Not so much better made as made differently, but they may also have had 40 years wear and tear. If you are looking for your first MB I would go for a modernish pen in good order, also have a look at FPN classifieds from a member of long standing and good repute.

Edited by smiffy20000, 03 December 2017 - 21:46.

#5 Chrissy

Chrissy

Ancient Artifact

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,555 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 03 December 2017 - 22:46

If you find a seller who has sold many Montblanc pens and has lot's of good feedback for selling authentic pens you should be OK.

If you're looking for a 146 or a 149 they aren't as easily faked, so as long as you see the pen has the correct Montblanc nib and an authentic internal piston you can probably assume it's authentic.

I don't consider the vintage 146 and 149 pens to be better, just made differently. My personal choice is to buy newer pens as they haven't had the wear and tear of many years of previous use by other owners. Some members prefer vintage pens though. YMMV.

flying-letter-exc.png

#6 meiers

meiers

Museum Piece

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,648 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 03 December 2017 - 23:28

My vote goes to fountainpen hospital: you will get an authentic pen and very good customer service.

Edited by meiers, 03 December 2017 - 23:30.

#7 niksch

niksch

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• 4,402 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 04 December 2017 - 04:55

I don't consider the vintage 146 and 149 pens to be better, just made differently. 

Define vintage. 

Hard times don't last, but hard people do.

Thank a Veteran.

#8 FredRydr

FredRydr

Have Pen. Will Travel.

• Member - Gold

• 4,221 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 05 December 2017 - 02:18

Define vintage. 

Uh oh.

#9 meiers

meiers

Museum Piece

• Member - Gold

• 6,648 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 05 December 2017 - 02:46

Vintage is a term that means different things to different people. I think it is sometimes used to attribute market value to old second-hand merchandise.

Here is a dictionary definition (Cambridge)

vintage adjective UK ​ /ˈvɪn.tɪdʒ/ US ​ /ˈvɪn.t̬ɪdʒ/
vintage adjective (HIGH QUALITY)

of high quality and lasting value, or showing the best and most typical characteristics of a particular type of thing, especially from the past:
a vintage plane
a vintage comic book
This film is vintage (= has the best characteristics typical of films made by) Disney.
She loves buying vintage clothing.

Edited by meiers, 05 December 2017 - 02:51.

#10 meiers

meiers

Museum Piece

• Member - Gold

• 6,648 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 05 December 2017 - 02:54

So, I've been a fountain pen user for many years now. I have Lamy, Pelikan and Pilot pens. I'm looking to get my first Mont Blanc. Preferably a 149 or 146. However, I have some questions about this brand.

Thanks for any and all help. 

I prefer judging each individual fountain pen on its merits. The only thing that matters to me is how it performs as a writing tool.

Edited by meiers, 05 December 2017 - 02:55.

#11 Chrissy

Chrissy

Ancient Artifact

• Member - Gold

• 11,555 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 05 December 2017 - 08:31

Define vintage. 

As far as most Montblanc FP's are concerned vintage usually seems to mean pre 1980.

Antique means 100 years old or older. So vintage presumably means younger than that.

However, one dictionary definition of the word is:

The word vintage comes to us from the French and ultimately from the Latin vinum, meaning wine. Per the OED, originally (15th century), vintage just meant the grape harvest and by the 16th century was applied to the process of wine making (gathering, pressing, fermenting, etc.) The OEDfinds the first use of vintage as particularly good wine in 1604, and by 1746 it was applied to wine from a particular and particularly good harvest.

Vintage became an attributive noun, modifying nouns like daydinnerfestival, and home (the last patterned after harvest home, a festival to commemorate the end of the harvest season). The OEDfinds the first attributive sense in 1857, and notes that in 1888 the Encyclopedia Brittanica uses vintage class to denote particularly fine wine.

There may be others

flying-letter-exc.png

#12 Chrissy

Chrissy

Ancient Artifact

• Member - Gold

• 11,555 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 05 December 2017 - 08:34

Uh oh.

Don't worry about it Fred.   :)  

flying-letter-exc.png

#13 Ghost Plane

Ghost Plane

Indescribable

• FPN Hon. Admin

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 27,161 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 05 December 2017 - 15:17

I prefer judging each individual fountain pen on its merits. The only thing that matters to me is how it performs as a writing tool.

We are as one.

#14 Tom Kellie

Tom Kellie

From EEF to OBBB

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,582 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 05 December 2017 - 16:10

We are as one.

~ Ghost plane and meiers:

That makes three of us...

Tom K.

#15 siamackz

siamackz

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 728 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 07 December 2017 - 08:56

Ive been looking at 149 and 146 prices for a while on eBay and then I recently bought the pens.

I have noticed that the cheapest 146s are from 1970-80s (blue ink window) selling for between $200-250 on eBay. Fine or medium nibs. The cheapest 149s from sellers with high ratings are at the very least $350ish. These tend to be from the late 1980s-90s with fine or medium nibs.

Broad nibs and obliques sell for premium. Boxes add to price. Established stores are typically more expensive, though more reliable.

This is of course based on my limited knowledge. More expericed members may correct me.

All the best!

#16 Pravda

Pravda

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,175 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 07 December 2017 - 12:49

I would also add a suggestion to check out the Classifieds section here. Members wont sell you a counterfeit item, theyll be priced to sell without a dealers premium and the customer service should be authentic

#17 siamackz

siamackz

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 728 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 08 December 2017 - 01:12

I would also add a suggestion to check out the Classifieds section here. Members wont sell you a counterfeit item, theyll be priced to sell without a dealers premium and the customer service should be authentic

Theres a nice looking broad 146 on right now!

Edited by siamackz, 08 December 2017 - 01:13.

Sponsored Content

|