The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

Pen With Wet, Smooth Gold Nib For Under $100?

22 replies to this topic

#1 sodiumnitrate

sodiumnitrate

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 96 posts

Posted 03 December 2017 - 19:52

I recently read a review of Pilot Custom Heritage 91, which costs about $80, concluding that it has a very smooth and wet nib. Do you agree with this statement? Are there any other pens you would characterize as being such? I had tried a vanishing point once, and I really liked how the tines were flexible enough to make the writing experience so smooth without making the nib a true flex nib. However, I don't like the ergonomics of that pen, and it's also a bit too expensive for me. I would also like the wettest possible pen to write with, as I love writing on Tomoe River paper to maximize the sheen and shading in inks. Is there any such budget friendly pen you would recommend?

Sponsored Content

#2 jekostas

jekostas

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 152 posts

Posted 03 December 2017 - 21:00

The Custom 91 and Custom 74 are excellent choices, especially when used with a Soft nib.  Another option would be a Platinum 3776 with a Soft nib.

#3 sodiumnitrate

sodiumnitrate

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 96 posts

Posted 03 December 2017 - 23:02

The Custom 91 and Custom 74 are excellent choices, especially when used with a Soft nib.  Another option would be a Platinum 3776 with a Soft nib.

Thanks! Would you choose 74 or 91? They seem to be available for similar prices on amazon. Do you know how either pen compares to VP in terms of smoothness and wetness? 

#4 langere

langere

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,173 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 03 December 2017 - 23:13

That really depends on what nib size you want.  The broader the nib, the more the flow usually.  But all Pilots have a similar feel, so it will not be so different, though the VP has a very different nib.

Erick

Currently in Rotation:

Platinum 3776 Ascending Dragon "M" nib running Iroshizuku Murasaki-Shibuku

Visconti Saturno "F" nib running Rohrer & Klingner Alt-Goldgruen

Cross Townsend "F" nib running Noodler's Heart of Darkness

#5 sodiumnitrate

sodiumnitrate

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 96 posts

Posted 04 December 2017 - 02:37

That really depends on what nib size you want.  The broader the nib, the more the flow usually.  But all Pilots have a similar feel, so it will not be so different, though the VP has a very different nib.

Erick

I was looking into fine-medium or medium. How do you think the VP nib compares to either 74 or 91?

#6 hh1990

hh1990

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 151 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 04 December 2017 - 02:44

The broad nibs on the two Custom 74s I own are smooth and wet writers, and this would be my first choice. If you don't mind more feedback, the broad nibs on the 3776 are excellent as well. 

#7 hari317

hari317

Classic

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,517 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 04 December 2017 - 02:59

Have a look at the plain Pilot Custom. It is one of the cheapest gold nib pens around.
In case you wish to write to me, pls use ONLY email by clicking here. I do not check PMs. Thank you.

#8 sidthecat

sidthecat

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,996 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 04 December 2017 - 07:08

It wouldn’t be impossible to get something vintage, especially if you could go for the smaller sizes.

#9 Bo Bo Olson

Bo Bo Olson

Ancient Artifact

• Member - Gold

• 17,863 posts

Posted 04 December 2017 - 10:24

A wet pen or a wet ink, drown shading...........may be fine for sheen, don't know.

I don't know Japanese pens....but wonder if the "soft" nib is only regular flex....something that is hard to find in western brand names out side of Pelikan's springy regular flex 200....which is good and smooth not 'butter smooth'.

Butter smooth can be had in steel or gold............on the whole from what I read gold is over rated.

Perhaps you can find semi-nails....which feel 'flexible' to someone use to only nails. When well mashed a semi-nail gives 2 X tine spread.

The Falcon, MB nibs are ' Springy' good tine bend, but only 2 X tine spread................the very best of that nib set is the Lamy Imporium :notworthy1: :thumbup: :puddle: .......a grand and great 'Springy' nib better than MB by far and with out any cut out nibs. But it will set you back some, in it is Lamy's Flagship. You have some 4-5 different nib color combos to pick from too. :drool:

How many pens do you have....somewhere about #5 is time to think of vintage semi-flex.........German '50-70 era are stub, besides semi-flex........but one should have thought about developing a lighter Hand before making that Jump.

www.nibs.com/blog/nibster-writes/nibs-germany      Info on Bock nibs

Due to Mauricio's improved definition of Super-flex, I try not use the term Easy Full Flex, but fail...sigh.

Semi-flex is an “almost” flex; not a ‘flex’ nib. It is great for regular writing with a touch of flair. It can give you some fancy; but it is not made for real fancy writing. For bit more of that get a maxi-semi-flex. Both spread tines 3X.  Those are not "Flex" nibs. 

Wider than Normal does not exist. Wider than Japanese does. Every company has it's very own standard + slop/tolerance. Developed from the users of it's pens and inks only; not the users or inks of other companies pens. The size you grind a nib to, is your standard only. Paper and ink matter to nib width. Thank god for 1/2 sizes or it would be boring.

#10 AK-47

AK-47

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 162 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 04 December 2017 - 17:18

I have a CH91 with SF nib. It is very smooth and a quality pen for $80. I will say that the softness of the the nib takes some getting used to, but can generate some nice flair (very mild line variation) when used properly and carefully. I have trouble with some of my wetter inks (such as Noodlers) in it though - it behaves better with low maintenance ink.

#11 sodiumnitrate

sodiumnitrate

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 96 posts

Posted 04 December 2017 - 17:50

I have a CH91 with SF nib. It is very smooth and a quality pen for $80. I will say that the softness of the the nib takes some getting used to, but can generate some nice flair (very mild line variation) when used properly and carefully. I have trouble with some of my wetter inks (such as Noodlers) in it though - it behaves better with low maintenance ink.

Thanks for the info. What happens when you use wet inks? Too much ink flow?

#12 sodiumnitrate

sodiumnitrate

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 96 posts

Posted 04 December 2017 - 17:51

A wet pen or a wet ink, drown shading...........may be fine for sheen, don't know.

I don't know Japanese pens....but wonder if the "soft" nib is only regular flex....something that is hard to find in western brand names out side of Pelikan's springy regular flex 200....which is good and smooth not 'butter smooth'.

Butter smooth can be had in steel or gold............on the whole from what I read gold is over rated.

Perhaps you can find semi-nails....which feel 'flexible' to someone use to only nails. When well mashed a semi-nail gives 2 X tine spread.

The Falcon, MB nibs are ' Springy' good tine bend, but only 2 X tine spread................the very best of that nib set is the Lamy Imporium :notworthy1: :thumbup: :puddle: .......a grand and great 'Springy' nib better than MB by far and with out any cut out nibs. But it will set you back some, in it is Lamy's Flagship. You have some 4-5 different nib color combos to pick from too. :drool:

How many pens do you have....somewhere about #5 is time to think of vintage semi-flex.........German '50-70 era are stub, besides semi-flex........but one should have thought about developing a lighter Hand before making that Jump.

Thanks for the info! It's not supposed to be a truly flex nib, as far as I know. What model/brand would you recommend for the vintage semi-flex?

#13 sodiumnitrate

sodiumnitrate

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 96 posts

Posted 04 December 2017 - 17:52

It wouldn’t be impossible to get something vintage, especially if you could go for the smaller sizes.

Where can I check for one online? ebay? Do you have any specific brand/model in mind?

#14 sodiumnitrate

sodiumnitrate

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 96 posts

Posted 04 December 2017 - 17:53

The broad nibs on the two Custom 74s I own are smooth and wet writers, and this would be my first choice. If you don't mind more feedback, the broad nibs on the 3776 are excellent as well. 

Thanks for the info. I was looking into fine-medium or medium. I guess they wouldn't be significantly drier than the broad.

#15 jekostas

jekostas

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 152 posts

Posted 04 December 2017 - 18:14

Thanks! Would you choose 74 or 91? They seem to be available for similar prices on amazon. Do you know how either pen compares to VP in terms of smoothness and wetness? 

They're the exact same size and use the exact same nibs, the bodies are just in different styles.

#16 pseudo88

pseudo88

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,450 posts

Posted 04 December 2017 - 20:16

Not a gold nib but exceptionally smooth, wet, doesn't evaporate, can be had for way less, and has a timeless design (I have a particular aversion to gold and a ball on clips): Lamy Studio; I got it for $40, used, in Imperial Blue, you could go for stainless steel if the grip is an issue, which hasn't been for me, except the feeling of metal (or chrome?) on a cold day. It's the same nib as in lesser Safaris but is way smoother, it's said to be tuned at the factory and I believe it, none of my 7 Vistas even approach it, it's on par with my Sailor Pro Gear 21k, Pelikan M600 and Parker Sonnets (different feel to all of them). Another super smooth steel option, if hard as a nail, is the Faber Castell Ambition, for instance in pearwood.

If you need gold at all costs the Platinum Century starts at about $60 in black and gold, twice that for rhodium; haven't tried it myself; there's also the Sailor Promenade. 

"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt."

B. Russell

#17 Driften

Driften

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 548 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 04 December 2017 - 20:27

I was looking into fine-medium or medium. How do you think the VP nib compares to either 74 or 91?

If you want wet go Medium or Broad in those nibs. The FM is wetter then the fine but not as wet as the Medium in my experience with Pilot pens of that series. The M in my 74/91/92 is the same wetness as the VP M's but less flexible. I don't have a SM so don't know what that is like.

#18 Bo Bo Olson

Bo Bo Olson

Ancient Artifact

• Member - Gold

• 17,863 posts

Posted 04 December 2017 - 23:07

140 or 400NN OB...in that's a writing nib...like a fat M, has a big sweet spot so easier to find....align the clip half way between the slit and the right hand side of the nib, grasp the pen then with out looking at the nib and write.

You have nice line variation in a B, or any of the nib widths...in besides semi-flex all are stubs.

You get most line variation with an OB.

In 15 & 30 degree is as much luck of the draw as semi vs maxi....no need to worry about it, just be aware of it.

The 140 sized medium small, long posting pens were very In in the 1950-60's. Geha's then flagship the 760 was one, Kaweco Dia also, and Osmia had the 6x size which is the same.The medium small pens fit the modern midget pocket better, all have long caps so post to standard size of a 400 or 790.

The medium large 400nn is the same length as a 600, but has the same girth as the 400....yet oddly according to reports holds the most ink of all Pelikans......I never remember to weigh the pen when it is dry before inking it.

After a 2 year test...found the 400nn balanced just a slight tad better than a 400.

All in all, the 400nn is my first choice...but a 140 carries easier.

www.nibs.com/blog/nibster-writes/nibs-germany      Info on Bock nibs

Due to Mauricio's improved definition of Super-flex, I try not use the term Easy Full Flex, but fail...sigh.

Semi-flex is an “almost” flex; not a ‘flex’ nib. It is great for regular writing with a touch of flair. It can give you some fancy; but it is not made for real fancy writing. For bit more of that get a maxi-semi-flex. Both spread tines 3X.  Those are not "Flex" nibs. 

Wider than Normal does not exist. Wider than Japanese does. Every company has it's very own standard + slop/tolerance. Developed from the users of it's pens and inks only; not the users or inks of other companies pens. The size you grind a nib to, is your standard only. Paper and ink matter to nib width. Thank god for 1/2 sizes or it would be boring.

#19 sodiumnitrate

sodiumnitrate

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 96 posts

Posted 05 December 2017 - 01:27

140 or 400NN OB...in that's a writing nib...like a fat M, has a big sweet spot so easier to find....align the clip half way between the slit and the right hand side of the nib, grasp the pen then with out looking at the nib and write.

You have nice line variation in a B, or any of the nib widths...in besides semi-flex all are stubs.

You get most line variation with an OB.

In 15 & 30 degree is as much luck of the draw as semi vs maxi....no need to worry about it, just be aware of it.

The 140 sized medium small, long posting pens were very In in the 1950-60's. Geha's then flagship the 760 was one, Kaweco Dia also, and Osmia had the 6x size which is the same.The medium small pens fit the modern midget pocket better, all have long caps so post to standard size of a 400 or 790.

The medium large 400nn is the same length as a 600, but has the same girth as the 400....yet oddly according to reports holds the most ink of all Pelikans......I never remember to weigh the pen when it is dry before inking it.

After a 2 year test...found the 400nn balanced just a slight tad better than a 400.

All in all, the 400nn is my first choice...but a 140 carries easier.

Thanks for the detailed info. Sadly 400nn is way over my budget. 140 seems like it could be affordable, but I'm not comfortable buying a vintage pen from ebay. It's around $100, and I probably will have to pay another $60 to a nibmeister to tune it or even possibly fix it. Maybe if I get a better paying job after my PhD :)

#20 sodiumnitrate

sodiumnitrate

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 96 posts

Posted 05 December 2017 - 01:29

If you want wet go Medium or Broad in those nibs. The FM is wetter then the fine but not as wet as the Medium in my experience with Pilot pens of that series. The M in my 74/91/92 is the same wetness as the VP M's but less flexible. I don't have a SM so don't know what that is like.

I think I'll go with medium, then. Thanks :)

Reply to this topic

Sponsored Content

|