Retro 51 Hex-O-Matic Or Rotring Rapid Pro Or ...?

sidpost

I am looking for a matched pair ballpoint and mechanical pencil primarily though a rollerball would be nice as well if it matches the pen and pencil as a complete set. I prefer silver bodies and a 0.7mm lead with a tip that retracts for shirt pocket carry.

I have read a lot of 'mixed' reviews of the newer rOtring products and must confess I really like the true old German brass 600 series. Today, the Hex-O-Matic seem to be a worthy competitor to the older rOtrings though, I really don't have any experience with them or the newer rOtring offerings other than some very casual use and handling at various places.

I want a hex body so it won't roll around too much and prefer reasonable knurling where I grip it. I also like a little weight overall with the balance being slightly biased towards my fingers, though still fairly neutral overall.

I have a couple Caran D'Ache 849 pens but, the refills are a little hard to find for me and while a really good pen, they are a bit too small and slick for my everyday use pen. I am sure there are some other pens and pencils out there that are worth serious consideration but, I really don't know where to start beyond the Retro 51 and rOtring options. Ideally, I would like to stay in the $30 each range but, I have some flexibility for the pen and pencil if something presents itself that is truly worthy of a higher price, though I'm not interested in 'bling' for blings sake.

TIA,

Sid

On a quest for better pencils and pens in rural East Texas. :)

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• sidpost

• sodul

• thx1138

• SteveID

I have a few of the Hexomatic pens and love them.

They are what I carry on shift. very robust and comfortable to use.

Hexomatic's can be had for about $28 on ebay.

• 2 weeks later...

I have a great number of mechanical pencils, mostly because I still draw analog and I don't have to deal with stubby little pencils that way. I used an old rotring Newton for years, until the button at the end came off and has disappeared somewhere under the rug or some other place in the void , (anyone have a spare floating around?) but I've liked and used Rotring For a long time (Rotring ArtPen EF was one of my first FP's, decades ago) and I've been very pleased with my Rotring Rapid Pros. I have one for the .7 mm lead, and one for 2mm standard lead, and they're solid, well-constructed, well-balanced, and very functional. I found both on Amazon for around $25, so unfortunately between the last response in this one you aren't any further along in your quest. Good luck!

Edited by SteveID

Just add an F at the beginning, and any Art stinks.

Except your own.

Thanks!

I have been hoping some people with Hex-O-Matics might comment but, I understand a lot of rOtring bias from people like myself whos first good mechanical pencil experience was rOtring. With manufacturing, ownership and, technological changes over time, I don't want to overlook a brand that might have surpassed my rOtring's of times past!

On a quest for better pencils and pens in rural East Texas. :)

If you like 2mm leads then you might like the $1.50 pens at Daiso and they feel a lot more expensive. They have a black one and a dark blue one. The body is plastic but is very comfortable and grippy. The lead sharpener works well and these two might become my primary pencils from now on. They have good 2mm lead refills as well with 18 color leads. I have not really looked at their 0.5, 0.7, and 0.9mm pencils but they looked a little like pentels with a rubber grip. The refills for 0.5, 07 and 0.9 come in 2 packs of 50 leads with very good containers. The 2mm refills are a pack of 18 black, and 18 color.

fpn_1514155368__img_3335.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I've been using a hex-o-matic .7mm for years in my math program and absolutely love it. The lead tube retracts and extends smoothly and fully every time, and the finish (I have the silver one) isn't marred at all. My only complaint is that the clip, being attached by being bent around the round body, can be rotated if you push laterally on it. Takes a bit of effort, but it can be rotated to a different face of the octagonal barrel. Not a big issue, just nitpicking. The knurling is comfy and not very aggressive. I like this pencil quite a bit. No experience with the 600 pencil so can't comment on that, but for me this 51 is really nice. Functionally I think the 600 loses out to the retro 51 because the 51 can retract the lead tube, but I don't know about the build quality difference between the two. As for the rapid pro, no experience with that one either, sorry. I do know that this retro is a quality pencil though. Hope it helps...

Edited by kyleparsons4842