The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

Retro 51 Hex-O-Matic Or Rotring Rapid Pro Or ...?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 sidpost

sidpost

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 51 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 03 December 2017 - 16:08

I am looking for a matched pair ballpoint and mechanical pencil primarily though a rollerball would be nice as well if it matches the pen and pencil as a complete set.  I prefer silver bodies and a 0.7mm lead with a tip that retracts for shirt pocket carry.

I have read a lot of 'mixed' reviews of the newer rOtring products and must confess I really like the true old German brass 600 series.  Today, the Hex-O-Matic seem to be a worthy competitor to the older rOtrings though, I really don't have any experience with them or the newer rOtring offerings other than some very casual use and handling at various places.

I want a hex body so it won't roll around too much and prefer reasonable knurling where I grip it.  I also like a little weight overall with the balance being slightly biased towards my fingers, though still fairly neutral overall.

I have a couple Caran D'Ache 849 pens but, the refills are a little hard to find for me and while a really good pen, they are a bit too small and slick for my everyday use pen.  I am sure there are some other pens and pencils out there that are worth serious consideration but, I really don't know where to start beyond the Retro 51 and rOtring options.  Ideally, I would like to stay in the $30 each range but, I have some flexibility for the pen and pencil if something presents itself that is truly worthy of a higher price, though I'm not interested in 'bling' for blings sake.

TIA,

Sid

On a quest for better pencils and pens in rural East Texas.   :)

Sponsored Content

#2 thx1138

thx1138

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 84 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 05 December 2017 - 11:50

I have a few of the Hexomatic pens and love them.

They are what I carry on shift. very robust and comfortable to use.

Hexomatic's can be had for about $28 on ebay.

Sponsored Content

|