Falcon For Sketching And Drawing? Ef Nib? Metal?

george c

Hi folks,

Over the years I've made many attempts at sketching, drawing, doodling, and so on. Usually get discouraged and sort of quit.

Decided I'm going to give it a try again.

There are several folks on YouTube and on blogs who are using Falcons.

Actually, I have a resin M that I just started using again...though, I want something finer.

Do any of you have an EF?

How about the metal vs the resin? The metal is a spec longer and can use the Con-70. But, it's quite a bit more-about $150 vs $240.

Your thoughts and comments will be appreciated greatly.

Best regards,

George

https://www.amazon.com/George-Callender/e/B005GSGOR4/ref=sr_ntt_srch_lnk_6?qid=1518394422&sr=8-6

(My little corner at Amazon....)

"May we all have great words flowing out of our pens."

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• AmandaW

• george c

• Drawing61

• LizEF

I have a SEF Falcon that is metal.

I find the weight distracting.

For eg, I have to keep it from falling off my hand when i am deep in concentration.

compare , say , when holding a well-sharpened wooden pencil. Its light in your hand gets tossed about, etc

i prefer something close to featherweight .

i have a light hand.

not sure if this helps ...

I prefer nibs where it is narrow and long , or large so that it doesnt obstruct the view of what I am sketching.

The Falcon nib meets this criteria well.

Ink reservoir capacity shld come secondary .

watch closely how your sketches vary in quality according to the type of nib that meets the drawing surface.

explore fat clutch lead points vs sharp pointed pencil points

small squat nibs vs longish narrow nib points ...

you should be able to narrow down what works best at enhancing your sketches.

Edited by TMLee

... 671 crafted ... one at a time ... ☺️

instagram

I have a Falcon SF that I use for drawing. My favourite thing about it is being able to get a dark wash for shadows with the back of the nib held almost flat. I don't know of any other pen that does that. That said, a niji waterbrush loaded with the same ink as my pen does that very nicely too (check out James Gurney's blog gurneyjourney he often uses those as well as fountain pens).

My other favourite pen for drawing is an EF Platinum Desk pen loaded with Platinum Carbon ink. They're cheap, but really fine and great workhorse. I found out about them years ago from Russell Stutler's online book about sketching. http://www.stutler.cc/other/sketchbook/sketchbook_c_01.html

Will work for pens... :unsure:

I have a Falcon SF that I use for drawing. My favourite thing about it is being able to get a dark wash for shadows with the back of the nib held almost flat. I don't know of any other pen that does that.

All but my Pilot Vanishing Points will do this, but it's way easier with the Falcon. :)

Do any of you have an EF?

How about the metal vs the resin? The metal is a spec longer and can use the Con-70. But, it's quite a bit more-about $150 vs $240.

I have the SEF in resin, but am not an artist, so I can't advise on how it would be for that. The Goulet Pens website includes weight information, so you could perhaps find the weights of pens you already own to find one close to the metal Falcon and see how it compares to your resin version.

Other than the weight (if you like heavier), appearance (if you prefer it), and the CON-70*, I can't see any reason to pay the higher price for the metal one.

* Unless you're putting pressure on the nib (flexing) frequently, or using the back of it as described above, the SEF will make the CON-50 last a long time (or a CON-40, if you go to the extra effort to fill it full) - it's a really fine line.

Edited by LizEF

Contrary to TNLee I find the weight of the metal Falcon helps me concentrate and observe what I am drawing. Holding the slight weight in my hand is like holding the object or scene or idea or...well you understand. I love Pilot VPs for quick sketching or note taking.

Love all, trust a few, do harm to none. Shakespeare

I wasn't pleased with the Falcon and sold it. Replaced it with the Justus and wow it is perfect!

PAKMAN

minibanner.gif                                    Vanness-world-final.png.c1b120b90855ce70a8fd70dd342ebc00.png

My Favorite Pen Restorer                                             My Favorite Pen Store

Vanness Pens - Selling Online!

I've looked a bit at the Falcons, but think that the metal-bodied one will be a bit on the heavy side for me. And the color selection for the regular ones is, um, limited (the red one is okay... but isn't making me go "OOOH, shiny...").

@ AmandaW -- wanna post some of your sketches, so we can see the results? Oh, and thanks for posting the link to the book about sketching.

@ Pakman -- How does the Justus compare to the Falcon for weight and size? And does it take the same nibs?

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

I find that the metal falcon is oddly tip-heavy. When it's un-posted, the pen's balance tips toward the nib.

Scientia potentia est.

i own a pilot metal falcon with a SEF nib. I think that this nib is PERFECT for sketching. It almost writes without touching the nib on the paper!!! I would recommend the metal version to someone who wants a pen with substancial feel. It feels very solid and indedtructable pen .But for someone who want it for sketching (like you), i would definitely recommend the resin version which is much lighter and not distracting (because of the weight) at all. It feels cheaper and more fragile though! It is your call.

I have a SF resin falcon and love it. It's one of my favorite pens. I've yet to use it for drawing.

I would not personally shell out the extra $100 to have it in metal. The little bit extra ink capacity and the metal body just isn't worth $100 to me (but it might be for someone else.)

I would happily buy another resin Falcon though.

I had a SEF metal that I used for sketching. I found the weight to be a bit much. I am considering getting a resin one as the nib was excellent.

Hi Folks,

Late getting back. My internet has been out for a while.

Thanks to all of you for the great replies. Truly appreciate you all taking the time to post comments and thoughts.

Taking into account all of what you've posted think I'm leaning toward the resin.

Again thanks...

Wish you all a great Christmas and holiday season.

Regards,

George

https://www.amazon.com/George-Callender/e/B005GSGOR4/ref=sr_ntt_srch_lnk_6?qid=1518394422&sr=8-6

(My little corner at Amazon....)

"May we all have great words flowing out of our pens."

@ AmandaW -- wanna post some of your sketches, so we can see the results? Oh, and thanks for posting the link to the book about sketching.

Thankyou for the interest. :blush:

I'll scan some recent ones to post. In the meantime there are a few on my website: http://www.amandawilliams.com.au/wordpress/sketchbook/

Edited by AmandaW

And look at this for timely video! Teoh compares a Copic disposable fountain pen, Platinum Desk Pen*, Pilot Falcon SF and a Noodler's Konrad for drawing!

*The Platinum Desk Pen he shows is very similar to the Platinum Carbon Desk Pen I mentioned above, but not the same. The Carbon one looks as fine, same style of nib, yet is designed to take Platinum Carbon inks - I am guessing it has wider channels in the feed. Hopefully someone else will know for sure.

I have both the metal and plastic variants of the falcon in SF and SEF. They are wonderful tools in their own merits. Earlier this year I managed to acquire a FA nib in a Custom 823 from the Tokyo Quill Pen shop. I find it an absolute joy to use. BTW I have removed the inner cap seal from the 823 with no issues.

http://i64.tinypic.com/11j8x6x.jpg

IG: araybanfan

And look at this for timely video! Teoh compares a Copic disposable fountain pen, Platinum Desk Pen*, Pilot Falcon SF and a Noodler's Konrad for drawing!

*The Platinum Desk Pen he shows is very similar to the Platinum Carbon Desk Pen I mentioned above, but not the same. The Carbon one looks as fine, same style of nib, yet is designed to take Platinum Carbon inks - I am guessing it has wider channels in the feed. Hopefully someone else will know for sure.

I admire Teoh's reportage, but in this case -- at least here in NYC-- the Copic is just far too expensive for a disposable pen, far outweighing any comparison with the more expensive alternatives to which he compares it. Do the math and you've paid for a Konrad , a pen whose drawing flexibility I like a whole lot, with the equivalent of a couple of Copics, and you have it forever (relatively speaking, said Einstein). Step up that geometric progression only a few steps and you don't take long to get to the cost of a Carbon or even the Falcon. But high-end aside for the moment, a Konrad or an Ahab is a much longer-lived (and to me, more gratifying) investment than the Copic.

Just add an F at the beginning, and any Art stinks.

Except your own.