Greetings From Central Europe

carola

Hello from Austria to everyone!

What I do like particularly about this community (apart from the information one is able to get here and the Classifieds section) is the fact that there are people from literally all over the world here. I think that´s an important feature, not only to grabble around in one´s own neigbourhood, but to reach out and get to know new things.

I´ve always been into fountain pens since I was a child. I got my first one (a cheap Pelikan for children using cartridges) when I started school because we were required to exclusively use fountain pens then. That pen may still rest with my stuff from school in my mothers attic - might be fun to climb up there looking for it one day.

When I reached my teen years, I already had acquired quite a range of pens (all of them really cheap and partly in crazy colours (we´re talking about the 1980s here...) and inked them up with a variety of Pelikan colours. (Pelikan seemed to be the only ink school supply shops had in store and the cartridges fitted practically every pen they had as well. There were mainly Pelikan pens, Jolly and also no-name ones. Lamy seems to have reached Austria somewhat later.

When I was 13 or 14 years old, I received my first quality fountain pen as a birthday gift: a Pelikan M400, classically green-striated. My fellow students had a tendency towards the green or blue marbled M200s at that time, but I just wouldn´t have it. I went straight for the green stripes. My mother was not amused as the M400 cost a small fortune, but it was the only pen I wanted. It proved to be a good decision as I used it throughout school and I still have, use and cherish it today, about 30 years later. And this decision seems to have sparked a love for striped pens in general.

During the last years, my old Pelikan has started to breed and I have a flock of 10 birds now, both new ones (M400s and M805s) and vintage ones from the 1950s and 1960s (all of them 400s and their facelifts). I love both categories, but I seem to lean towards the vintage ones.

Also, my flock of Pelikans seems to have attracted other pens and I had to make the appalling observation, that by now they have outgrown the beautiful 20 piece presentation box I have bought a while ago, thinking it would offer AMPLE space. Ahem... No. It doesn´t. Amongst those "other" pens there are several Eversharp Skylines (mostly Modern Stripe ones), some Sheaffers, a Lamy 2000, one OMAS 556/S, a Pilot MYU 701 M-500BS, a Jinhao and a Centropen Barkley in massive silver. All of them are getting inked up and used regularly as I always carry 2 - 3 pens around with me and I like to rotate them and use them on a daily basis at work and at home.

Some of the things I consider the best in life: Having a nice cup of tea while writing a letter to a close friend, using a beautiful pen and a strikingly coloured ink on perfect paper, a cat purring beside me and a book resting on the table, waiting for me to read on.

Yes... I can deal with that. And I suppose there are several people around here who know exactly what I mean. B)

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• carola

• Wahl

• OCArt

• MarcinEck

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thank you, Carlos! As I have got snow outside now, a warm welcome from a sunny part of the world is a nice thing to have. ;)

By the way - nice Isetta you got there as an avatar!

Edited by carola

Hello and Welcome to FPN!! Glad to have you as a member!!

PAKMAN

minibanner.gif                                    Vanness-world-final.png.c1b120b90855ce70a8fd70dd342ebc00.png

My Favorite Pen Restorer                                             My Favorite Pen Store

Vanness Pens - Selling Online!

Welcome to this community! As you have probably already figured out, you will have to get a few more fountain pen storage containers if you stay with us for any time...

Erick

Using right now:

Visconti Voyager 30 "M" nib running Birmingham Streetcar

Jinhao 9019 "EF" nib running Birmingham Railroad Spike

Pelikan M1000 "F" nib running Birmingham Sugar Kelp

Sailor King of Pens "M" nib running Van Dieman's Heemskerch and Zeehaen

langere - That problem hasn´t even got it´s origin here on this site. As far as pens are concerned, I´m working on emptying my bank account for quite some time. But I´ll agree this site won´t make it any easier to not increase the number of pens around here. :D

Hello Carola,

greetings from snowy Cracow, Poland, Central Europe (quite close to You :))

I have the same passion for Pelikan pens, especially 140 and 400, but also vintage ones - it means the famous 100 and 100N.

It would be nice to see some photos of your bird company :yikes: :thumbup:

Hello MarcinEck! You are right - Poland isn´t THAT far away and yet I´ve never made it there.

As for pictures of my Pelikan flock... I should really get some!

All I found was two old ones of poor quality, depicting only part of them. But here we go:

post-140009-0-44202000-1512329508_thumb.jpg

post-140009-0-13282000-1512329558_thumb.jpg

Missing:

M805 solid black

400N tortoise-striped

400 green-striped (still on it´s way to me)

Edited by carola

Welcome to our little corner of the universe from a pen user in San Diego.

We Are Our Ancestors’ Wildest Dreams