The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

Parker Super 21 Question

• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

#21 Arstook

Arstook

Near Mint

• Member - Silver

• PipPipPip
  • 27 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 07 December 2017 - 20:08

Thanks! Lol, isn't it a joke on FPN that someone somehow always ends up referencing or recommending Diamine? I'll check it out

Sponsored Content

#22 AL01

AL01

Eh?

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 705 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 07 December 2017 - 21:58

I just got my Parker Super 21 and inked it up with some Sheaffers. Good heavens, it's an amazing pen. Great balance with a medium nib just that surfs across the page. Did I just luck out on a Super 21? If these pens are this good, then just how good is that Parker 51 that's coming to me next week?

Oh them Supa 21s are really nice to write with.

While a 51 is more durable, it does feel slightly different.

I really can't put it in words...

But enjoy it!!!

It is a really nice pen...

(I miss mine.)

"   H M M M . . .  I  l i k e s   i t !    "

#23 FLZapped

FLZapped

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,549 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 08 December 2017 - 00:59

I use Noodlers permanent black and bad belted kingfisher (permanent blue). Never had any issues with any of them or the pens I use them in - Parker 75, Pelikan piston filler M200, Sheafer Skripsert Lady, cross solo.

Same here and many other colors as well in all my pens. I'm happy for the others who are afraid of Noodler's, because it leaves more for me to enjoy.

#24 FLZapped

FLZapped

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 1,549 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 08 December 2017 - 01:00

Use them with care. Lest they eat up your feeds or sacs or section-barrel joint's glue in your Pelikans.

No, that is false. There are known bad producers of sacs and known bad producers of feeds. It's been discussed to death. In fact, one of the members here tried to recreate the feed issue and could not.

#25 FLZapped

FLZapped

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 1,549 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 08 December 2017 - 01:05

The amount of posts for and against Noodlers is so bewildering, I'm not sure I want to chance it. One thing that attracted me to Noodlers, aside from its crazy colors, was its bang for a buck factor. Does anyone have any recommendations for less controversial inks that go for relatively cheap? Looking for a daily ink with a vintage friendly track record that's economically priced.

Noodler's isn't the problem, it's a bunch of false information that has been floating around. I have over a dozen different colors, including Baystate blue and I use all of them in any pen I own. Of all of them, including a Parker 21 that was my grandfathers and has its original sac in it.

Baystate Blue comes with a warning about mixing it with  other inks. But that has been well documented, but those who seem to have this bias against Noodler's just use it as an excuse to bash the product as a whole

Pen hygiene is really the key here.

#26 FLZapped

FLZapped

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 1,549 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 08 December 2017 - 01:11

I have a couple 21 supers. It is easy to confuse them with a 51 if you aren't paying attention. They are still of the quality level of a regular 21 as far as I can tell. I'm not sure I would try to use them as a work horse pen.

#27 Glenn-SC

Glenn-SC

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,635 posts

Posted 08 December 2017 - 21:20

No, that is false. There are known bad producers of sacs and known bad producers of feeds. It's been discussed to death. In fact, one of the members here tried to recreate the feed issue and could not.

I had Noodlers destroy a piston on a Lamy 27.  True not False.

Just because Noodlers has "been discussed to death" doesn't mean that there isn't evidence that Noodlers interacts badly with other inks and/or pen materials.

#28 Arstook

Arstook

Near Mint

• Member - Silver

• PipPipPip
  • 27 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 08 December 2017 - 21:30

Glenn-SC,

Which Noodler's color was that, just out of curiosity?

#29 Glenn-SC

Glenn-SC

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• 4,635 posts

Posted 09 December 2017 - 01:43

Glenn-SC,

I don't remember.

I had/have a number of Noodlers inks and stopped using them all.

#30 AL01

AL01

Eh?

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 705 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 10 December 2017 - 00:36

Noodler's just flat out doesn't flow in my vintage pens...

(The tines are too close togetha or whateva. Every other $#%^in ink works jus' fane.)

But...

They do have sum purdy colas.

:P  :P

"   H M M M . . .  I  l i k e s   i t !    "

#31 mitto

mitto

Museum Piece

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,670 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 10 December 2017 - 13:07

:)
Khan

#32 welch

welch

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• 3,575 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 10 December 2017 - 16:55

I just got my Parker Super 21 and inked it up with some Sheaffers. Good heavens, it's an amazing pen. Great balance with a medium nib just that surfs across the page. Did I just luck out on a Super 21? If these pens are this good, then just how good is that Parker 51 that's coming to me next week?

The Parker 51 is the best fountain pen ever made. The most desired pen during the golden age of fountain pens, roughly 1940 - 1957 and probably the biggest seller among top-end pens. 

Nib-surfing depends, of course, on the nib gauge and tuning. I favor P-51 mediums and have had several 51's tuned by Greg Minuskin, Mike Masuyama, Pendleton Brown, and Josh Lax. (If you bought your 51 from Peyton Street, Teri M. will have taken care of the tuning. She's great!) 

Don't take any job that requires new clothes.

#33 FLZapped

FLZapped

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 1,549 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 December 2017 - 01:48

Glenn-SC,

The only ink known to have negative interactions is Baystate Blue and that warning came right from the manufacturer when it first came out.

#34 FLZapped

FLZapped

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 1,549 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 December 2017 - 01:54

I had Noodlers destroy a piston on a Lamy 27.  True not False.

Just because Noodlers has "been discussed to death" doesn't mean that there isn't evidence that Noodlers interacts badly with other inks and/or pen materials.

So you're going to blame your poor pen hygiene on Noodler's, yeah - besides the fact that Lamy 27s are known to have piston problems.

#35 FLZapped

FLZapped

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 1,549 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 December 2017 - 01:58

Noodler's just flat out doesn't flow in my vintage pens...

(The tines are too close togetha or whateva. Every other $#%^in ink works jus' fane.)

But...

They do have sum purdy colas.

:P  :P

I've used Noodler's in Parker 21s, Parker 51s, 1939 Duofolds, Parker 50, Sheaffer Imperials and Snorkles, and others without problem - *shrug*

#36 Arstook

Arstook

Near Mint

• Member - Silver

• PipPipPip
  • 27 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 December 2017 - 02:34

Dear fountain pen friends,

I just got my Parker 51 in the mail and am somewhat disappointed by its writing performance. It wrote quite dry and had occasional hard starts. It also sometimes had rough starts when writing at a left angle.

I'm reluctant to resell it because the body is in very good condition. I'm not sure ink clogging is a culprit as I bought from a reputable dealer who had restored and fully cleaned it. I have flossed the nib, given it a brown bag treatment, and done an overnight flush, that has increased ink flow to where writing with the P51 feels like writing with a wood pencil. Not an unpleasant experience, but is there any other way of tweaking ink flow? I don't want crazy wet as I almost always am writing on copy paper. I am reluctant to give it a full disassembly because I am a Parker 51 debutante and am scared of breaking or damaging parts.

I'm also worried that a culprit may be a worn down nib? I have attached a photo:

20171209_153637-ConvertImage.jpg

Thanks for your wisdom

Edited by Arstook, 11 December 2017 - 02:36.

#37 Tweel

Tweel

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• 1,698 posts

Posted 11 December 2017 - 03:38

Maybe you should inform the dealer of your pen's misbehavior.  After all, a pen that's "restored" should be able to write properly.

fpn_1375035941__postcard_swap.png * * * "Don't neglect to write me several times from different places when you may."
-- John Purdue (1863)

#38 mitto

mitto

Museum Piece

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,670 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 December 2017 - 04:52

If the pen writes as you describe I am afraid it is not restored.
Khan

#39 Arstook

Arstook

Near Mint

• Member - Silver

• PipPipPip
  • 27 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 December 2017 - 19:03

Thanks for the advice, friends. I talked with the seller and he offered to tweak/repair the pen for me. I'm sending it back today.

#40 welch

welch

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• 3,575 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 12 December 2017 - 00:35

That's a responsible seller. You have a good amount of tipping on the nib, so the seller should be able to tune it any way you want. If the "nib gauge" is what you want -- I write with medium nibs -- then you are close to getting the best pen you are likely ever to have.

Don't take any job that requires new clothes.

Sponsored Content

|