Chrissy thanks for another great review. Your format and comparisons on different papers are wonderful and oh so useful.

"Are we at last brought to such humiliating and debasing degradation that we cannot be trusted with arms for our defense? Where is the difference between having our arms in possession and under our direction, and having them under the management of Congress? If our defense be the real object of having those arms, in whose hands can they be trusted with more propriety, or equal safety to us, as in our own hands?" Patrick Henry

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Chrissy

• rudyhou

• lapis

• farazqamar

Great review as usual, Chrissy; always enjoy your presentation. Macassar and Yama-guri are my go-to browns.

Macassar does sheen (here it is next to Yama-guri). First pic, cam flash pointing against worklight shining from opposite direction, so sheen doesn't show; second pic, cam flash turned off, pronounced sheen exhibited. (Macassar is the first 3 lines, YG is the 4th.)

fpn_1512728042__mac_and_yg_flash_crop.jp fpn_1512728502__nac_an_yg_no_flash.jpg

Macassar is in a M250 F that writes very fine, comparable to the Sheaffer Cadet F1 the YG is in. The sheen was even more apparent when I had it in a Sport F that laid a slightly heavier line.

You're welcome and thank you for the pictures showing the sheen :)

I think we now have two reviews each of which only covers half the etymological trail behind the ink name. Let's put the two factoids together:

The ink colour appears to be named after the wood Macassar Ebony. The wood is named Macassar ebony after the seaport of Makassar on the island of Sulawesi where it grows

Thank you. :) I thought it should be named after something quite specific, but when I searched, that information about the ebony didn't come up.

Chrissy thanks for another great review. Your format and comparisons on different papers are wonderful and oh so useful.

You're welcome. :) I'm glad they come in useful :)

a very nice formal brown. diamine has a nice range of brown inks. i'm enjoying my diamine chocolate brown. i'm considering getting this maccasar and/or the espresso.

-rudy-

a very nice formal brown. diamine has a nice range of brown inks. i'm enjoying my diamine chocolate brown. i'm considering getting this maccasar and/or the espresso.

You're right, they do have nice browns. :) I love Chocolate Brown :wub:

I found some darker brown inks to compare against Diamine Macassar:

fpn_1512514032__diamine_macassar_comp_1.

you got me craving for some diamine espresso now.

-rudy-

I think we now have two reviews each of which only covers half the etymological trail behind the ink name. Let's put the two factoids together:

The ink colour appears to be named after the wood Macassar Ebony. The wood is named Macassar ebony after the seaport of Makassar on the island of Sulawesi where it grows

i had no idea. thanks for sharing :thumbup:

-rudy-

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

a very well behaved ink

no problems in three years of use

wonderful brown color

not pen nor paper fussy

Be Happy, work at it. Namaste

• 1 month later...

Just got my bottle of Macassar after reading this review, thank you! Writes beautifully in my Pelikan M800 M, not fussy with papers as reported. Smooth in my already immaculately smooth M800 renaissance brown, subtle shadings while freshly filled, a full bold brown when left in the pen for a few days (probably the effects of a more saturated feed). The ink stays close to the nib and my Pelikan 800M writes quite fine, not a broad line.

Just got my bottle of Macassar after reading this review, thank you! Writes beautifully in my Pelikan M800 M, not fussy with papers as reported. Smooth in my already immaculately smooth M800 renaissance brown, subtle shadings while freshly filled, a full bold brown when left in the pen for a few days (probably the effects of a more saturated feed). The ink stays close to the nib and my Pelikan 800M writes quite fine, not a broad line.

You're welcome. :) I'm glad you like it. :thumbup:

Nice review. I'm not really into browns but this brown does seem to have some special "magic" in it, like the deepness of the whole colour on a stringed instument etc. Thanks for the elucidations of the name itself. Everytime I see that word, my first thought is of another noun where very roughly the 'c' and the 'ss' are switched. Gasp!

Life is too short to drink bad wine (Goethe)

Nice review. I'm not really into browns but this brown does seem to have some special "magic" in it, like the deepness of the whole colour itself on a stringed instument etc. Thaks for the eluicdations of the name itself. Everytime i see that word, my first thought is of another noun where very roughly the 'c' and the 'ss' are switched. Gasp!

You're welcome. :) I got the other word :D

It's only a question of which colour they would use for that other word.... Probably only one single thing comes to mind......

Life is too short to drink bad wine (Goethe)

It's only a question of which colour they would use for that other word.... Probably only one single thing comes to mind......

Hitchcock? :o