The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

Looking For Cross 585 Nib

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 pennut

pennut

Pennut

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 575 posts

Posted 02 December 2017 - 22:23

Any suggestions as to where I can obtain a Cross 585 or 750 nib for a Townsend? I want an extra fine. I assume it is fairly easy to remove an existing nib and insert a new nib. Is this true?

Dennis

Sponsored Content

#2 Jerome Tarshis

Jerome Tarshis

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,431 posts

Posted 03 December 2017 - 05:06

I haven't looked at cross.com before beginning this message, but doesn't Cross itself sell replacement nib units for the Townsend? They did in the recent past.

You may also find replacement nib units offered for sale on eBay. But not very many, compared with what Cross itself sells. The advantage of eBay is that the price may be lower.

The nib unit (not an isolated nib, but the entire nib plus feed plus section) screws in and out easily. I have often switched a nib unit from one Cross pen to another. Of the same model: the Townsend nibs don't go into a Century or Century II, for example.

ETA: I don't know where pennut tried to find replacement nib units, but a Google search suggests that they are rather readily available. Apart from Cross itself, we have, in England:

http://www.penbox.co.uk/cross.pen.nibs.htm 

And IIRC Mr. Pen (aka Peter Ford) also sells Cross replacement nibs. He is a pleasant seller. For me, at least. No apparent shortage of Townsend nibs, in Rhode Island or in the scepter'd isle.

Edited by Jerome Tarshis, 03 December 2017 - 05:33.

Sponsored Content

|