The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

How Common Are Eversharp Flexible Nibs Post 1940's?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 sanesangowdayya

sanesangowdayya

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 98 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 30 November 2017 - 23:42

After work this afternoon, I stopped by an antique shop and they had an eversharp symphony set for $70, stickered with "Flexible Medium". I know that there were many nib options for the skyline's and symphony's like stubs, manifolds, etc but was wondering if it was worth it.

And any idea how good the flexible nibs are? 

Sponsored Content

#2 RoyalBear

RoyalBear

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 444 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 01 December 2017 - 00:43

The nib should be fine but what generation of Symphony is the set and what model? The following link for Pen Hero gives a good rundown on the Symphony:

http://www.penhero.c...arpSymphony.htm

#3 sanesangowdayya

sanesangowdayya

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 98 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 01 December 2017 - 01:08

Hmm, I can't really tell which model it is even reading through the site and looking at some pictures. It looked like it was in fine condition no cracks or anything. 

Here's a picture I took of it. For $70 I'd probably be buying it for my own use, I've heard alot of good things about smooth eversharp nibs.

s-l1600 (8).jpg

Edited by sanesangowdayya, 01 December 2017 - 01:16.

#4 RoyalBear

RoyalBear

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 444 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 01 December 2017 - 02:11

You have the 2nd generation Model 701 and 1701 (thin band on cap and not the "Slipper" cap). By the looks of it, the box is in good condition and the pen and pencil are probably unused since they still have the stickers on them. In my opinion, it's a good buy.

#5 parkergeo

parkergeo

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 81 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 01 December 2017 - 16:01

I recently bought a very similar set, to go along with an Eversharp Desk-Pac. Not sure it is exactly the same nib, but it's smooth and provides a decent amount of line variation:

fpn_1512143743__img_0989.jpg

#6 welch

welch

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,576 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 12 December 2017 - 00:22

About ten years ago, I bought a fair number of random Skylines and Symphonies from EBay. Several Skylines had soft nibs, but none were as flexible as an early '50s Senator I once had. The German pen would bend like a ballet-dancer, from fine to broad or broader. None of the Symphonies were as soft.

That's just random impressions from a dozen or two dozen Eversharps.

Don't take any job that requires new clothes.

Sponsored Content

|