The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

Not Happy!

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Charles Skinner

Charles Skinner

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,086 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 30 November 2017 - 23:14

After "lusting" after a Pilot Vanishing Point pen for a long time, I finally bought one!  ----  I am very disappointed. The pen causes way too much "show through." I have used Sailor Yama Dori and J. Herbin Encre Bleue Myosotis inks,and the second one, the J. Herbin was even worse.  

Are the nibs in these pens just really, really wet?  Should I just leave the nib out overnight and hope that in the morning, it will not "gush" out so heavy that it causes bad show through?  I don't think the problem is the paper, since I use many other pen-ink combinations with very little ---- and with some, ---- absolutely no show through! 

Help?  Do I just need to take to a Pen Show and try to sell it?  Not a good choice.  I would not like to sell it to an unsuspecting "pen lover."   

Charles Skinner 

Sponsored Content

#2 Chrissy

Chrissy

Ancient Artifact

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,527 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 30 November 2017 - 23:30

I find that I need to use a dryer ink in mine. If you leave the nib out then it will dry out completely and so will the cartridge or converter, because there is no closure.

flying-letter-exc.png

#3 LizEF

LizEF

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,181 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 01 December 2017 - 00:47

What size nib did you get?  Did you wipe down the nib and feed before installing it back in the body?  They are gold nibbed, so a little wetter than their still counterparts, but I don't find mine causing any problems - even on Leuchtturm, which is pretty bad at show-through.  But mine are fine nibs.  (And I love them.)

#4 LizEF

LizEF

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,181 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 01 December 2017 - 00:47

Hmm.  And I have the 1.0 stub which I've used on Rhodia, Clairefontaine, and Tomoe River with no complaints.

#5 weissa

weissa

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 137 posts

Posted 01 December 2017 - 14:35

VP M nibs can be very wet. Assuming you have one, take it to a show and have it ground to a stub (or something similar). My absolute favorite nib is a VP M stub (previous owner had it custom ground).

#6 Kelly G

Kelly G

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,367 posts

Posted 01 December 2017 - 14:37

How do you fill your VP?
May we live, not by our fears but by our hopes; not by our words but by our deeds; not by our disappointments but by our dreams.

#7 PAKMAN

PAKMAN

Say that again, I have a pen here somewhere...

• FPN Super Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,529 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 01 December 2017 - 14:48

Generally not a problem with my VP's except if I don't get the converter completely inserted then it gushes. You have to push them in a lot harder than you'd think on some VPs.

PAKMAN

minibanner.gif             fpn_1321906507__vanness_sign.jpg 

My Favorite Pen Restorer                            My favorite Brick and Mortar              

now selling online!

#8 SpecTP

SpecTP

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 405 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 01 December 2017 - 17:51

I've used that particular JHerbin ink in my VP and I have not noticed it being 'too wet'. I normally use Iroshizuku inks and have no issues with my VP's. at all.

#9 crahptacular

crahptacular

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 145 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 01 December 2017 - 20:32

I've used a F nib VP on a daily basis for years, exclusively writing on generic copy paper/notebook paper. Although occasionally there will be a sheet of paper that wildly misbehaves, I don't have problems in the majority of cases. I have noticed that if I write more heavily (pressure) or slowly (pausing with the nib touching paper), there is a good chance of show-through, but if I write normally, which for me is quick and light, there are no issues. Inks are normally Pilot Red or Diamine Wild Strawberry, neither of which are particularly wet.

I don't have experience with any nibs other than the 18kt F, though.

#10 Charles Skinner

Charles Skinner

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,086 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 01 December 2017 - 21:50

Much better now. C. S. 

#11 jar

jar

A Vintage Pen has to be older than me.

• Premium - Ruby

• 24,411 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 01 December 2017 - 22:26

Much better now. C. S. 

Cartridge or converter not fully seated?

My Sister's website :  Rose Hill Studios

My Website

#12 LizEF

LizEF

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,181 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 02 December 2017 - 00:35

Hooray! Very happy for you C.S.!

#13 Charles Skinner

Charles Skinner

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,086 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 02 December 2017 - 12:35

I believe that, at first, the converter was not fully seated.  Thanks jar!  C. S.

#14 jar

jar

A Vintage Pen has to be older than me.

• Premium - Ruby

• 24,411 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 02 December 2017 - 13:16

I believe that, at first, the converter was not fully seated.  Thanks jar!  C. S.

Easiest way to make a pen wetter...an air leak!

My Sister's website :  Rose Hill Studios

My Website

#15 tonydent84

tonydent84

Just Another Pen Fanatic

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 474 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 08 December 2017 - 01:03

I have two VPs and a bunch of replacement nibs. About three of them I got custom tuned by Richard Binder, and I requested that they all write wetter than normal. Now I use only the fine point from him, and I do find it a bit too wet (my tastes changed over the years). I also experimented with a fine nib replacement I bought for cheap and cosmetically destroyed the feed, but finally got it writing to the wetness that I prefer.

Recently I had a Fermo shipped to me from Japan - a fine point. It wrote right out of the box with a sufficient wetness. No need for adjustments by me. Significantly drier than my VP fine points, all of them using Pilot black ink.

My medium points were both pretty wet too. Maybe close the tines up a little? Or maybe find a drier ink? Noodler's Black is pretty dry, and that was the main ink I used in my Pilot pens for a very long time.

I no longer own any fountain pens... Now they own me.

Sponsored Content

|