The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Parker Vacumatic (Faceted!), I Hadn't Get Any Information About It.

faceted parker oversize vacumatic identify doric fake

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 JorgeLpzLmg

JorgeLpzLmg

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Silver

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 30 November 2017 - 16:58

Hi!!

Two days ago I bougth at Mexico city (where I live) a faceted fountain pen, wich looks as a Parker Vacumatic oversize.

I was searching in the web in orden to confirm if it is an authentic Parker, but I didn't get any information or images about faceted Parkers.

The pen description is:

Barrel engraved: "Parker Vacumatic USA" (the "V" is engraved on the "R")

Long with cap: 13.5 centimeters (5 1/4")

Barrel diameter: 1.6 centimeters (5/8")

Color: Borgoña

Faceted barrel and cap 

Apparently, the original nib was replaced with a "Harley Davidson" nib (!!!).

Can you help me to confirm if it is an authentic Parker?

If it's an authentic pen, what is the correct nib for it?

I'm attaching some pictures.

Thanks!

Jorge.

Attached Images

• DSC01860.JPG
  • DSC01861.JPG
  • DSC01850.JPG
  • DSC01849.JPG
  • DSC01851.JPG
  • DSC01856.JPG
  • DSC01855.JPG
  • DSC01852.JPG
  • DSC01862.JPG
  • DSC01863.JPG
  • DSC01864.JPG
  • DSC01865.JPG

Sponsored Content

#2 ralfstc

ralfstc

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 830 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 30 November 2017 - 18:57

Wow, that's cool! I'm going to go out on a limb (why not?) and say on the basis of the facets and the dodgy imprint that it may not be original Parker. But, quite a lot of things look right, so I wonder if it might be a customized vac? The cap fitting seems strange, though, in that the circular section usually fits inside the cap, so I'm not sure why it would have to be relieved so deeply.

In any case, a really interesting find. But please, replace the nib. Oh, and the feed perhaps?

Ralf

ps. Many more knowledgeable people will be here soon, and I defer to their genius.

Edited by ralfstc, 30 November 2017 - 18:58.

#3 JorgeLpzLmg

JorgeLpzLmg

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Silver

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 30 November 2017 - 19:38

Hi Ralf!

Thanks.

The pen looks beauty (except for the nib).

Too, I tough it could be a customized pen...

Some details you point make me think it is not an authentic Parker. But I feel it' has a high quality manufacturing, so...

Anyway, I'm going to enjoy it.

Best regards,

Jorge.

#4 Ron Z

Ron Z

Museum Piece

• FPN Super Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,444 posts

Posted 30 November 2017 - 20:10

I'm inclined to put it down as a very nice knock-off.  There are some rather good knock-offs of the Vacumatic, especially from Italy.  They copied the celluloid, clip, and other things quite nicely, and they are often decent pens.  But there is often a different feel to the celluloid on copies.  While they can be nice, but the quality isn't there. For instance the plastic is often thinner.    Once you know the genuine article, when you see the copy in person, you can instantly spot the difference. Its harder from a picture.

Though very nice, there are a number of things that don't look right.  The nib is from a modern Waterman Harley Davidson pen.    I can't see the feed, but that could be a clue.  The clip doesn't look quite right (too long and pointy), and celluloid of the blind cap is off - the lines are usually a bit more horizontal than that at the end of the barrel.  I  have never seen a faceted barrel on a Parker outside of the Parkettes, and I've never seen a step in the barrel like that on a Vacumatic or any other better Parker come to think of it.   The Duotone may be an exception, but that was cheap injection molded plastic. Knock-offs often don't get the jewels right, and are often made to different dimensions and cheap plastic.

Is it a vacumatic filler, or is that a button at the end?  It would be interesting to remove the filler and see what it looks like.  Copies rarely  make, or make good copies of, the Vacumatic filler system.  The design is often a bit different, and the materials used cheaper metal and/or thinner, or are totally different inside.

Pretty pen though, and one that would be fun to use.

banner200.jpg
Visit Main Street Pens
A full service pen shop providing professional, thoughtful vintage pen repair...

Please use email, not a PM for repair and pen purchase inquiries.

#5 Azuniga

Azuniga

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 743 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 30 November 2017 - 23:02

I have a couple of them and the only place i have seen them is in Mexico, it is most probably a local copy of a Parker Vacumatic.

Some time ago there was a thread on the Spanish forum about them and you can find some images there including those I have...

http://estilografica...aker-vacumatic/

Most of those i have seen were made for a Jewellery downtown Mexico City.

I hope the quoted thread will be of some help...

#6 JorgeLpzLmg

JorgeLpzLmg

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Silver

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 02 December 2017 - 01:03

Hi Ron!

You're right.

I feel the pen "different" to other celluloid pens.

The filling system works as a Vacumatic filler system.

Best regards.

Jorge.

#7 JorgeLpzLmg

JorgeLpzLmg

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Silver

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 02 December 2017 - 01:18

Hi AZuniga!

Very interesting the information you are sharing.

The "Vacumatics" you show in the Foro de Estilográficas are almost identical to the one I bought, except for the section.

I use to visit the same markets that you mention. At La Lagunilla I got a beauty Sheaffer Leather Touch, and an old Pelikan Souveran Tortoise engraved "Demostrator", but I don't bougth this one because it hasn't the end of the cap.

Well, the pen is nice, I`m replacing the Harley nib for a better.

Best regards,

Jorge

#8 fabri00

fabri00

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,168 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 02 December 2017 - 06:34

I'm inclined to put it down as a very nice knock-off.  There are some rather good knock-offs of the Vacumatic, especially from Italy.  They copied the celluloid, clip, and other things quite nicely, and they are often decent pens.  But there is often a different feel to the celluloid on copies.  While they can be nice, but the quality isn't there. For instance the plastic is often thinner.    Once you know the genuine article, when you see the copy in person, you can instantly spot the difference. Its harder from a picture.

Though very nice, there are a number of things that don't look right.  The nib is from a modern Waterman Harley Davidson pen.    I can't see the feed, but that could be a clue.  The clip doesn't look quite right (too long and pointy), and celluloid of the blind cap is off - the lines are usually a bit more horizontal than that at the end of the barrel.  I  have never seen a faceted barrel on a Parker outside of the Parkettes, and I've never seen a step in the barrel like that on a Vacumatic or any other better Parker come to think of it.   The Duotone may be an exception, but that was cheap injection molded plastic. Knock-offs often don't get the jewels right, and are often made to different dimensions and cheap plastic.

Is it a vacumatic filler, or is that a button at the end?  It would be interesting to remove the filler and see what it looks like.  Copies rarely  make, or make good copies of, the Vacumatic filler system.  The design is often a bit different, and the materials used cheaper metal and/or thinner, or are totally different inside.

Ron, I agree with your comments about Italian copies of vacumatic in Italy in the 40's, but I don't think this is the case.
This kind of celluloid was common in Italian pens of that period, b8t the faceted body and how this have been turned to round where the cap screw in to the body, are not typical of that production.
Also the inscription in the body of the pen is too nicely done to be an Italian pen of that period.
The cap, the club and the 3 rings are also very nice, and it do not resemble to me anything of Italian.

#9 ac12

ac12

Museum Piece

• Member - Gold

• 9,529 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 02 December 2017 - 06:39

Post it on the Parker sub foum, and hope Farmboy looks at it.

If anyone, he should know something.

San Francisco Pen Show - August 28-30, 2020 - Redwood City, California

www.SFPenShow.com

#10 Bo Bo Olson

Bo Bo Olson

Pen Dust

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,383 posts

Posted 02 December 2017 - 11:31

Once Parker carried some serious weight. Returning GI's from Italy, had their duffle bags searched before getting on the ship home, to make sure they didn't have any counterfeit Parkers which were confiscated. 

German vintage '50-70 semi-flex stubs and those in oblique give the real thing in On Demand line variation. Modern Oblique is a waste of money for a shadow of line variation. Being too lazy to Hunt for affordable vintage oblique pens, lets you 'hunt' for line variation instead of having it.

www.nibs.com/blog/nibster-writes/nibs-germany & https://www.peter-bo...cts/nib-systems,

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

#11 JorgeLpzLmg

JorgeLpzLmg

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Silver

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 04 December 2017 - 20:37

Ron, I agree with your comments about Italian copies of vacumatic in Italy in the 40's, but I don't think this is the case.
This kind of celluloid was common in Italian pens of that period, b8t the faceted body and how this have been turned to round where the cap screw in to the body, are not typical of that production.
Also the inscription in the body of the pen is too nicely done to be an Italian pen of that period.
The cap, the club and the 3 rings are also very nice, and it do not resemble to me anything of Italian.

Hi!

Thanks!

Your information it's very interesting.

A member in the forum showed some similar pens (http://estilografica...aker-vacumatic/ ), but the pens he shoed has not a section, so the feed screws directly on to the barrel.

Thanks!

Jorge.

#12 JorgeLpzLmg

JorgeLpzLmg

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Silver

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 04 December 2017 - 20:39

Post it on the Parker sub foum, and hope Farmboy looks at it.

If anyone, he should know something.

Hi!

Thanks.

I did it.

I hope Farmboy gives an opinion.

Jorge

#13 JorgeLpzLmg

JorgeLpzLmg

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Silver

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 04 December 2017 - 20:41

Once Parker carried some serious weight. Returning GI's from Italy, had their duffle bags searched before getting on the ship home, to make sure they didn't have any counterfeit Parkers which were confiscated. 

Hi!

It gives to the pen an interesting value... if the pen came America with a G.I.

Thanks.

Jorge

#14 JorgeLpzLmg

JorgeLpzLmg

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Silver

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 04 December 2017 - 20:42

Hi Ron!

You're right.

I feel the pen "different" to other celluloid pens.

The filling system works as a Vacumatic filler system.

Best regards.

Jorge.

#15 JorgeLpzLmg

JorgeLpzLmg

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Silver

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 04 December 2017 - 20:42

I have a couple of them and the only place i have seen them is in Mexico, it is most probably a local copy of a Parker Vacumatic.

Some time ago there was a thread on the Spanish forum about them and you can find some images there including those I have...

http://estilografica...aker-vacumatic/

Most of those i have seen were made for a Jewellery downtown Mexico City.

I hope the quoted thread will be of some help...

Hi AZuniga!

Very interesting the information you are sharing.

The "Vacumatics" you show in the Foro de Estilográficas are almost identical to the one I bought, except for the section.

I use to visit the same markets that you mention. At La Lagunilla I got a beauty Sheaffer Leather Touch, and an old Pelikan Souveran Tortoise engraved "Demostrator", but I don't bougth this one because it hasn't the end of the cap.

Well, the pen is nice, I`m replacing the Harley nib for a better.

Best regards,

Jorge

#16 Ron Z

Ron Z

Museum Piece

• FPN Super Moderators

• 9,444 posts

Posted 04 December 2017 - 20:43

Sorry, I didn't intend to suggest that the pen was Italian.  That was more of an example. 

banner200.jpg
Visit Main Street Pens
A full service pen shop providing professional, thoughtful vintage pen repair...

Please use email, not a PM for repair and pen purchase inquiries.

#17 Azuniga

Azuniga

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 743 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 05 December 2017 - 14:44

Hi!

Thanks!

Your information it's very interesting.

A member in the forum showed some similar pens (http://estilografica...aker-vacumatic/ ), but the pens he shoed has not a section, so the feed screws directly on to the barrel.

Thanks!

Jorge.

I had not come back to the forum and now I read with some surprise that the pens I showed in the Spanish forum ‘have no sections and the feed and nib go directly to the barrel”, that is not the case.

They both have a section.

The green one is an Eyedropper and the red one is a PBF, here some images

fpn_1512484770__v1.jpg

fpn_1512484801__v2.jpg

Edited by Azuniga, 05 December 2017 - 14:46.

#18 JorgeLpzLmg

JorgeLpzLmg

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Silver

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 05 December 2017 - 17:00

Hi!

Yes, you'r right, I'was wrong. 

I don't watched your pens with care. The sections in both pens are made with the same material than the barrels and the caps.

The rings follow the faceted form of the cap.

The nib marked La Perfecta it's very interesting and has a great historical  worth.

Best regards.

Jorge.

I had not come back to the forum and now I read with some surprise that the pens I showed in the Spanish forum ‘have no sections and the feed and nib go directly to the barrel”, that is not the case.

They both have a section.

The green one is an Eyedropper and the red one is a PBF, here some images

fpn_1512484770__v1.jpg

fpn_1512484801__v2.jpg

#19 mitto

mitto

Ancient Artifact

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,108 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 December 2017 - 05:43

Interesting pens. Well there were (legit Parker) Vacumatics with sections made of the same material as used in the barrel and cap.
Khan M. Ilyas

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: faceted, parker, oversize, vacumatic, identify, doric, fake

Sponsored Content

|