The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

Pelikan 100N

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 slippery when wet

slippery when wet

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 530 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 29 November 2017 - 06:48

I'm considering buying a 100N and I would like to know,is it best to avoid posting the cap on these pens due to the fragile nature of the material used and edge thickness of the cap. Are they more durable than I think. Any input would be appreciated

Sponsored Content

#2 mana

mana

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 637 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 29 November 2017 - 08:57

Hi, there is no reason to avoid posting the cap, esp. with the post WWII 100N. The 100N are very durable (one of the most durable ones of that era or even ever I might even say).

The material of the cap barrel is reasonably thick and if posted in an appropriate manner (i.e. not crammed down) it is perfectly fine. It seats rather snugly with just a little applied force. One thing though, posting the cap on and off might eventually matt down the mating surfaces (microscratches). You can get rid of this with light polish though.

Few caveats though...

The early examples of the pre-WWII 100N still had BHR (Black Hard Rubber) cap barrels (the same as with the 100) but they moved on to more durable synthetic materials later. Also, the cap barrels of some of the tortoise models (101N) are either RHR (Red Hard Rubber) or celluloid (acetate, IIRC). Those warrant more care but can be posted too (that is how the pen was meant to be used).

...now is the only thing that is real...

"Indifference towards people and the reality in which they live is actually the one and only cardinal sin in design."
Dieter Rams

#3 slippery when wet

slippery when wet

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 530 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 29 November 2017 - 09:20

Thanks Mana, greatly appreciated, I look forward to tracking one down.
Cheers

#4 Bo Bo Olson

Bo Bo Olson

Ancient Artifact

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,892 posts

Posted 29 November 2017 - 11:04

Unposted it is too small....capped it is 150/140 size....smaller than a 200/400.

Posted, it is bigger than a posted 400.

The Ibis is a slight tad longer capped than the 100n, because of the round barrel end.

The 140 and 100n are the same size with out a cap.

The 140's cap is tad longer than the the Ibis and the 100n's cap is longer than the 140's. 

The 100n is over half a nib longer than the 400.....posted as long as a 600.

As long as one don't use the hammer palm :angry: to settle the cap on when posting, I would have no more thought of posting my 100n than I do any other of my medium small to medium large Pelikans.

It's too small to use un-posted. :unsure:

Edited by Bo Bo Olson, 29 November 2017 - 11:08.

www.nibs.com/blog/nibster-writes/nibs-germany      Info on Bock nibs

Due to Mauricio's improved definition of Super-flex, I try not use the term Easy Full Flex, but fail...sigh.

Semi-flex is an “almost” flex; not a ‘flex’ nib. It is great for regular writing with a touch of flair. It can give you some fancy; but it is not made for real fancy writing. For bit more of that get a maxi-semi-flex. Both spread tines 3X.  Those are not "Flex" nibs. 

Wider than Normal does not exist. Wider than Japanese does. Every company has it's very own standard + slop/tolerance. Developed from the users of it's pens and inks only; not the users or inks of other companies pens. The size you grind a nib to, is your standard only. Paper and ink matter to nib width. Thank god for 1/2 sizes or it would be boring.

#5 Matlock

Matlock

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,244 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 29 November 2017 - 11:38

Unposted it is too small....capped it is 150/140 size....smaller than a 200/400.

Posted, it is bigger than a posted 400.

The Ibis is a slight tad longer capped than the 100n, because of the round barrel end.

The 140 and 100n are the same size with out a cap.

The 140's cap is tad longer than the the Ibis and the 100n's cap is longer than the 140's. 

The 100n is over half a nib longer than the 400.....posted as long as a 600.

As long as one don't use the hammer palm :angry: to settle the cap on when posting, I would have no more thought of posting my 100n than I do any other of my medium small to medium large Pelikans.

It's too small to use un-posted. :unsure:

I have 2 IBIS and 3 100N Pelikans. The 100Ns are about half a nib longer than the IBISs when posted, or are you thinking of the later IBIS 130s?

Peter

#6 Bo Bo Olson

Bo Bo Olson

Ancient Artifact

• Member - Gold

• 17,892 posts

Posted 29 November 2017 - 14:30

That I don't know...I don't know if my Ibis is a 130.... :huh: I was happy enough having an Ibis....a surprising pen. 

Have you a link to where I can see the difference in size between an Ibis and a 130 Ibis?

Due to Mauricio's improved definition of Super-flex, I try not use the term Easy Full Flex, but fail...sigh.

Semi-flex is an “almost” flex; not a ‘flex’ nib. It is great for regular writing with a touch of flair. It can give you some fancy; but it is not made for real fancy writing. For bit more of that get a maxi-semi-flex. Both spread tines 3X.  Those are not "Flex" nibs. 

Wider than Normal does not exist. Wider than Japanese does. Every company has it's very own standard + slop/tolerance. Developed from the users of it's pens and inks only; not the users or inks of other companies pens. The size you grind a nib to, is your standard only. Paper and ink matter to nib width. Thank god for 1/2 sizes or it would be boring.

#7 Matlock

Matlock

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,244 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 29 November 2017 - 14:42

That I don't know...I don't know if my Ibis is a 130.... :huh: I was happy enough having an Ibis....a surprising pen. 

Have you a link to where I can see the difference in size between an Ibis and a 130 Ibis?

I find this site invaluable  https://www.pelikan-...ikan/index.html Give it a try.

Peter

#8 Bo Bo Olson

Bo Bo Olson

Ancient Artifact

• Member - Gold

• 17,892 posts

Posted 29 November 2017 - 20:13

130 after measuring in feet and meters.

For my degree of collecting a 130 Ibis will do just as much as a regular Ibis.

And that Rappen was higher class than I thought also....gold nib.

#9 Matlock

Matlock

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,244 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 29 November 2017 - 20:22

130 after measuring in feet and meters.

For my degree of collecting a 130 Ibis will do just as much as a regular Ibis.

And that Rappen was higher class than I thought also....gold nib.

I have two Rappens, one of the early squeeze fillers but with a CN nib and a piston filler one with a 14k nib. The squeeze one has never been use and is in it's original box so I won't be inking that one. The other one is a nice "user".

Peter

#10 Bo Bo Olson

Bo Bo Olson

Ancient Artifact

• Member - Gold

• 17,892 posts

Posted 29 November 2017 - 23:00

I was disappointed in my CN nib (just ordered as a pure nib, no feed or pen)...only regular flex....not semi-flex or more as most claim.

#11 sargetalon

sargetalon

The answer to life, the universe, and everything

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,609 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 01 December 2017 - 00:23

I'm considering buying a 100N and I would like to know,is it best to avoid posting the cap on these pens due to the fragile nature of the material used and edge thickness of the cap. Are they more durable than I think. Any input would be appreciated

I have had no issues with posting and do not fear it at all. Would use common sense and just not jam it on there too hard but they post well and Ive never had one suffer damage from it.

PELIKAN - Too many birds in the flock to count.  My pen chest has proven to be a most fertile breeding ground.

fpn_1508261203__fpn_logo_300x150.jpg

THE PELIKAN'S PERCH - A growing reference site for all things Pelikan

#12 slippery when wet

slippery when wet

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 530 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 01 December 2017 - 22:16

Knowing the short body length on the 100N and therefore the need to post the cap led me to ask this question, kind regards to all those who responded

#13 mirosc

mirosc

I love the smell of ink in the morning

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,606 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 01 December 2017 - 22:44

All of my 100Ns are very comfortable to use without posting. Just wait until you get yours. Maybe you can use it without posting, too (if you are worried). Still the cap is sturdy enough to be posted.

Greetings,
Michael

#14 carlos.q

carlos.q

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,214 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 02 December 2017 - 01:58

All of my 100Ns are very comfortable to use without posting. Just wait until you get yours. Maybe you can use it without posting, too (if you are worried). Still the cap is sturdy enough to be posted.

+1
I like to use my 100N pens unposted. But then again, I usually use all my pens unposted. ;)

Sponsored Content

|