The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

Twsbi Nib Comparison

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 nibl

nibl

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 31 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 29 November 2017 - 05:18

Do the nibs on the higher value, non-Eco, TWSBI pens offer a much better writing experience than the TWSBI Eco? Or is the main quality difference in the barrel finish and filling system?

I know the nibs differ, but its really the writing experience that matters to me.

Sponsored Content

#2 almoore

almoore

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 29 November 2017 - 12:44

Hi Nibl

I have both the Vac 700r and the Eco (I also have a 580 AL & Mini in eternal storage) and I find a  difference between the two when writing; but I have to qualify that by saying the nibs are different sizes (both are Mediums) as are the pens so they will feel different in use.

The pens themselves are different in size and design and have different filling mechanisms; if you like a larger pen get the 700r or if you prefer a more standard sized pen consider the Eco or the 580. I have found they both give a good writing experience and are very reliable and I would recommend them both.

If you can find someone with one or ideally both try them out, I bought the Eco on a whim not expecting much from it but was very happily surprised but if I had to recommend one of them it would be the 700r.

Hope this helps.

Al

Edited by almoore, 29 November 2017 - 12:44.

#3 Jamerelbe

Jamerelbe

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,979 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 29 November 2017 - 12:52

Do the nibs on the higher value, non-Eco, TWSBI pens offer a much better writing experience than the TWSBI Eco? Or is the main quality difference in the barrel finish and filling system?

I know the nibs differ, but its really the writing experience that matters to me.

I can't speak for the Vac 700/700R, as I don't own one, but the Eco has the exact same nib and feed as the Diamond Mini, Vac Mini, and Classic pens.  I find the writing experience very smooth (except maybe for the EF nib, but those are generally pretty good too!).  The Diamond 580 nib is slightly wider in its wingspan, and in my experience just a little 'springier'.  

In all honesty, the Eco is excellent value-for-money, and I find it writes wetter than the Diamond Mini despite the fact that they have the same nib and feed.  I probably like the Diamond 580 best (I don't have a Vac 700 or a Classic, but do have *at least* one of the other models), but for reliability and flow characteristics (not so much looks!) the Eco would probably come second.  This is a very personal preference, though - your mileage may vary...

#4 nibl

nibl

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 31 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 30 November 2017 - 13:06

Thanks so much for your replies. I forgot to mention that I have an Eco, but no other TWSBIs. Despite that, I might just go for another Eco. Its been dependable and very nice to write with.

#5 JulioPB

JulioPB

Julio

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 779 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 30 November 2017 - 13:35

Hi:

I have 10 or 11 TWSBIs in different models, 

My favorite model is the ECO.

since TWSBIs nibs are made by Bock (as I understand) the nibs are much better than before,

All my nibs are mediums and find no difference between models.

Hope helps, 

Julio

#6 Jamerelbe

Jamerelbe

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,979 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 30 November 2017 - 14:06

Hi:

I have 10 or 11 TWSBIs in different models, 

My favorite model is the ECO.

since TWSBIs nibs are made by Bock (as I understand) the nibs are much better than before,

All my nibs are mediums and find no difference between models.

Hope helps, 

Julio

This is not correct: TWSBI nibs were *originally* supplied by Schmidt (I believe), then later by Bock... but for the past several years (since introducing the Diamond 580) they've been using custom nibs manufactured for them by JoWo.  They're good nibs, though, and I've found mine to be pretty reliable writers.  

#7 anemography

anemography

Dipped Only

• Member - Silver

• Pip
  • 7 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 02 December 2017 - 22:19

I've had Eco nibs in fine, medium and stub, and 580 in medium and broad. I haven't noticed a difference between then apart from the stub, which came scratchy. Smoothed it out and it's fine now though.

#8 Torrilin

Torrilin

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 06 December 2017 - 00:17

I believe TWSBI uses 3 nib sizes. The eco size, the 580 size, and the vac size. Haven’t tried the largest, maybe it is nicer. Dunno. I tend to like smaller/lighter pens, so a vac700 is not on my wish list.

I can’t tell the difference by eye between work drawn with my 580 and eco, both with ef nibs. I have to know which pen had which ink for a given drawing. Or I have to take notes. I’ll get more variety of line from the ink than from the nib. Your mileage may vary. Maybe my nibs are quite similar. There definitely are posters who notice different line width from pens with the same marked width but different nib sizes. Still, I’d check that the inks match before saying one is different. For width it’s about comparable to a pilot metropolitan fine, or an 03 Platinum Preppy. I have a rogue Lamy xf nib that’s finer.

Thus far, they seem to need refills at the same rate. The ink reservoirs are close in size.

The 580 is more flexible to use with ink samples. If you want wild colored ink, it’s probably worthwhile to have a 580. A lot of useful writing inks tho will not be very pretty in the barrel. If you want the wild barrel color effects, you may need very strong light or inks that are less suited to reading. If you’ve got an ink where you genuinely need to always have it in a pen, the eco will be perfect.

Sponsored Content

|