The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

Esterbrook Plunger-Fill Fountain Pens

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 PenHero

PenHero

Sheaffer Collector

• FPN Super Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,533 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 29 November 2017 - 02:03

Hi, Folks!

This is an Esterbrook Plunger-Fill fountain pen c. 1959.   Esterbrook introduced the Safari line in 1957, the company’s 100th anniversary, as an all plastic cartridge pen that could hold two cartridges, thus the name Safari Twin-Cartridge Fountain Pen.  The new pen continued the use of the 32 different available Esterbrook Renew Point replaceable stainless steel nib units.  The cap was changed to a metal one by 1959.   Esterbrook took that pen and created a new model with a new name by adding a plunger fill system similar to the one used on the Sheaffer Imperial I.   Plunger-Fill pens operate by unscrewing the blind cap at the end of the barrel and pulling out the short plunger.  Inside the barrel is a bulb shaped sac that is compressed by air pressure when the plunger is pushed in and the pressure is released at the bottom of the stroke when the end of the plunger reaches a widened space in the barrel, letting the compressed air out through a hole in the barrel and allowing the ink sac to fill.  The plunger does not directly compress the ink sac.   Instructions for the pen called for two cycles to fill it.  The 5 7/16 inch long pen came in six colors:  black, navy blue, blue, green, red and gray, and sold for $3.95.

I would love to see photos of the other 5 colors and any ads of this model.  I only have the 1959 Saturday Evening Post ad describing this as a new model.

EsterbrookPlungerFIll_1280_01.jpg

Thanks!

Sponsored Content

#2 gweimer1

gweimer1

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 2,170 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 29 November 2017 - 10:49

I'll try to add some photos.  I have them in black, red and green.  I'm still trying to figure out how to resac one of them.  I have a general idea how they work, but getting it apart has been my first challenge.

#3 Brian Anderson

Brian Anderson

Esterbrook Nut

• FPN Super Moderators

• 2,318 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 29 November 2017 - 15:54

I have all six colors listed at the bottom of this page. Green and light blue were the best colors, in my opinion.

www.esterbrook.net All Esterbrook, All the Time.

#4 AAAndrew

AAAndrew

(Not so) Wee Timorous Beastie

• FPN Supporter - Rhodium

• 2,137 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 02 December 2017 - 03:09

I’ve long ago given up on collecting them all, but sheesh. A whole different filling system? Sigh.
Check out my Steel Pen Blog. https://thesteelpen.com/ . 

"No one is exempt from talking nonsense; the mistake is to do it solemnly."

-Montaigne

Sponsored Content

|