The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

New Pen Purchase (Help Please)

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#21 Poetman

Poetman

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 453 posts

Posted 06 December 2017 - 16:13

Thanks for these replies. If in increase my budget a bit could I welcome a considerably better fp?

Sponsored Content

#22 JakobS

JakobS

Far From the Madding Crowd

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,379 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 06 December 2017 - 16:24

All the fountain pens mentioned are very decent pens, so the most significance increasing your budget would do, is allow you to find more pens that meet your requirement for shape, and filling system, though outside of Montblanc and some vintage Pelikans, you may still find mass produced piston filling cigar shaped pens to not be very numerous. 

Edited by JakobS, 06 December 2017 - 16:26.

FP Ink Orphanage-Is an ink not working with your pens, not the color you're looking for, is never to see the light of day again?!! If this is you, and the ink is in fine condition otherwise, don't dump it down the sink, or throw it into the trash, send it to me (payment can be negotiated), and I will provide it a nice safe home with love, and a decent meal of paper! Please PM me!For Sale: TBA

#23 woleizihan

woleizihan

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 182 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 06 December 2017 - 17:18

I would say Montblanc 146 or Sailor Realo. Both will take a while to find a used one uder $200 but there are just not a lot of cigar shaped piston filling pens in my mind.

With a $250 budget, I think you can find a used 146 pretty easily or even buy a new Realo.

Edited by woleizihan, 06 December 2017 - 17:20.

#24 Poetman

Poetman

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 453 posts

Posted 07 December 2017 - 03:05

All the fountain pens mentioned are very decent pens, so the most significance increasing your budget would do, is allow you to find more pens that meet your requirement for shape, and filling system, though outside of Montblanc and some vintage Pelikans, you may still find mass produced piston filling cigar shaped pens to not be very numerous. 

Why not numerous? Are piston fill pens usually square shaped not rounded? Werent pens usually some version of a piston fill system ( or something similar) where the body held the ink not a converter?

Edited by Poetman, 07 December 2017 - 03:06.

#25 woleizihan

woleizihan

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 182 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 07 December 2017 - 03:21

Why not numerous? Are piston fill pens usually square shaped not rounded? Werent pens usually some version of a piston fill system ( or something similar) where the body held the ink not a converter?

Is that what you mean cigar shaped and piston fill?

#26 JakobS

JakobS

Far From the Madding Crowd

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,379 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 07 December 2017 - 03:56

Most modern cigar shaped pens are cartridge/converter filling pens it appears. The cigar shape is predominantly found in Asian pens these days, and piston fillers have never been a significant filling system for Japanese, and Chinese pen manufacturers. Though various attempts at piston filler fountain pens were made since the mid-19th century, they werent perfected until the 1920s and commercialized by Pelikan and then Montblanc and a number of other European brands. As far as U.S. made, the Conklin Novac was the only successful commercial piston fill line. Pelikan for a number of decades and Montblanc until modern day made a number of models in a cigar shape, but otherwise diverged into a great many shapes, some may have a cigar shaped body, but not cap, or vis versa, and not truly a cigar shape. The most dominant filling system in vintage fountain pens was most likely eyedroppers, followed by lever fillers, or a filling system utilizing a latex sac.

Edited by JakobS, 07 December 2017 - 23:17.

FP Ink Orphanage-Is an ink not working with your pens, not the color you're looking for, is never to see the light of day again?!! If this is you, and the ink is in fine condition otherwise, don't dump it down the sink, or throw it into the trash, send it to me (payment can be negotiated), and I will provide it a nice safe home with love, and a decent meal of paper! Please PM me!For Sale: TBA

#27 IndigoBOB

IndigoBOB

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 279 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 07 December 2017 - 06:55

In terms of modern pens I imagine most were picturing the Lamy 2000 until you mentioned screw cap.

I can see why you asked.  It's a good question I don't have an answer for.  A gap in the fountain pen world.

A voice:  I'll write pages and pages, days upon days, to be able to breathe out a few lines,

I'll do whatever it takes to breathe out those few lines, where the breath breathes out on its own, in on its own,

To thine own...

...breath on its own.

Sponsored Content

|