The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

Help Me Date And Tune A Waterman Cf

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 sodul

sodul

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 192 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 28 November 2017 - 10:34

I was lucky to wing this black Waterman's CF with a 14K nib for just under $16 with its original box.

I was able to clean up the pen very nicely and it has very minimal corrosion around the nib which is very common for the models with gold nibs. I know that the CF ran from the 1950s to the early 1980s and I'm wondering which decade it is most likely to be from.

Here is the (only) picture from the ebay posting:

fpn_1511863845__ebay.png

A picture I took before cleaning and polishing:

fpn_1511863899__img_3198.jpg

After cleaning:

fpn_1511863928__img_3201.jpg

fpn_1511863961__img_3202.jpg

And with a writing sample:

fpn_1511864001__img_3203.jpg

So except for the little bit of corrosion around the nib area and the cap finial (barely), the pen is in very good cosmetic condition. I'm disappointed by the nib performance however. I find it to be very dry, rather stiff but still with semi-flex capabilities. I know the feed is working well since the nib is not railroading when flexing.

If you are wondering about the pink ink I used to refill the cartridge it is Thornton's pink. I use that to test vintage pens because it lets me check how clean the pen is.

I have not attempted to remove the nib but have use brass shims to try to spread the tines with very limited success. I noticed that the tines feel tight so I'm pretty confident the nib can be made a tad wetter.

As for the date the only hint I have is the patent number which was applied in 1954 and granted in 1957 ... which does not help me much with dating the pen:

https://patents.goog...t/US2802448A/en

Since the barrel has 'MADE IN USA' and considering the US operations folded in 1957 can I safely assume the pen was produced between 1954 and 1957 ?

Sponsored Content

#2 siamackz

siamackz

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 716 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 29 November 2017 - 15:24

Yup, 1954-57 is what I have too. Here is a collage of some catalogues I found from that period

fpn_1511969041__screen_shot_2017-11-29_a

#3 Shannon

Shannon

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 418 posts

Posted 29 November 2017 - 17:40

Since the barrel has 'MADE IN USA' and considering the US operations folded in 1957 can I safely assume the pen was produced between 1954 and 1957 ?

I've been using this little beauty for the last few days.  I never thought about dating it.  The cap is stamped "Made in USA."  Does that indicate it's from the same era -- '54 - '57?

fpn_1511977126__20171129_103645_resized.

Ink samples to trade:  Levenger (Smokey, Blue Bahama, Always Greener, Skies of Blue, Fireball, Pinkly, Gemstone Green, Cobalt Blue, Raven Black, Cardinal Red, Cocoa, Amethyst); J. Herbin (Lie de The, Emerald de Chivor, Storm Grey, Rouge Hematite); Diamine (Purple Pazzazz, Bilberry, Ancient Copper, Blue Black, Indigo, and Damson); Sailor (Tokiwa-matsu, Souten); and Chesterfield (Antique Yankee, Night Sapphire, Antique Raven, Antique Walnut, Archival Black, Antique Jade)

Looking for: surprise me!

#4 sodul

sodul

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 192 posts
  • Flag:

Posted Today, 10:06

I've been using this little beauty for the last few days.  I never thought about dating it.  The cap is stamped "Made in USA."  Does that indicate it's from the same era -- '54 - '57?

I'm not an expert but the answer would very likely be yes since the Waterman folded in 1957. That model had a long life until the 1980s but in Europe.

To close the loop I was able to disassemble and properly clean the pen, and I'll probably do that again to add silicone grease once I get some delivered. The tines were very tight and I had to place three 0.005" brass shims overnight to spread them enough to make the pen a nice writer. It took me over a week to adjust it but now the pen is pleasant to write with. My nib has a little flex to it, much more so than a Jinhao #6 for example, but nowhere as nice as my other vintage 14k nibs. Does yours have some flex or is it a nail like others seem to report?

Sponsored Content

|