The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

Sheaffer Pfm Nib - Retip Or Replace?

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#21 Ron Z

Ron Z

Museum Piece

• FPN Super Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,060 posts

Posted 30 November 2017 - 17:09

Greg has done one PFM retip that in know of for sure since he posted about it on his blog a few years back. It sounded a bit tricky because of the heat as noted but I do remember actually seeing that he did one.

With this thread in mind I specifically asked him about the nibs the other day, so the information is current.    If he did them, I would offer that as an option to clients with a bad FPM nib.  Some day the supply of  replacement nibs will dry up.

banner200.jpg
Visit Main Street Pens
A full service pen shop providing professional, thoughtful vintage pen repair...

Please use email, not a PM for repair and pen purchase inquiries.

Sponsored Content

#22 ink-syringe

ink-syringe

foo

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,676 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 01 December 2017 - 09:02

With this thread in mind I specifically asked him about the nibs the other day, so the information is current.    If he did them, I would offer that as an option to clients with a bad FPM nib.  Some day the supply of  replacement nibs will dry up.

I defer to you.

I am sure your info is more current and accurate.

Looking for a cap for a Sheaffer Touchdown Sentinel Deluxe Fat version

#23 Ron Z

Ron Z

Museum Piece

• FPN Super Moderators

• 8,060 posts

Posted 01 December 2017 - 13:46

I don't know if John Mottishaw does them.  I'm not sure how active he is these days.   

banner200.jpg
Visit Main Street Pens
A full service pen shop providing professional, thoughtful vintage pen repair...

Please use email, not a PM for repair and pen purchase inquiries.

#24 FarmBoy

FarmBoy

Brain freeze, mmm... got pens?

• Member - Gold

• 8,862 posts

Posted 02 December 2017 - 06:12

Have discussed tipping inlaid nibs with several people mentioned here.  At this time, not worth retipping a PFM nib though I would not discard or scrap damaged units.  Do note that often there are cracks in the plastic from the impact event that can not be fixed even if the retipping was successful.

As to 51 nibs, there seems to be more demand than there is supply for the exotic nibs though most recent requests seem to be for XF and N nibs, not the BB and Stubs.

San Francisco International Pen Show - They have dates! August 25-26-27, 2017 AND August 24-25-26, 2018 Book your travel and tables now! My PM box is usually full. Just email me: my last name at the google mail address.

#25 phentrek

phentrek

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 935 posts

Posted 02 December 2017 - 14:46

I believe Brad Torelli retips inlaid nibs at a reasonable price.
"It ain't so much what people don't know that hurts as what they know that ain't so."
-Artemus Ward

Sponsored Content

|