Disappointing Pfm V - Nib Tuning Recommendations?

Bill Nick

As beautiful as it is, the V that I got last has turned out to be a little disappointing, although that may be too strong a word for it. It's probably not much worse than my Waterman Prelude but I've never been over-ecstatic about that, even from new.

Examining the pen it appears to be perfect, the nib shows no sign of damage or misaligned tines but, compared to my PFM II and Imperial Triumph, it does not write as smoothly. At first I though it was scratchy but after some ink had been allowed to flow (it's not a dry writer) it did improve but not to the buttery smoothness of the other two pens. I'm using Diamine ink.

Does anyone have any suggestions; are there any expert nib tuners or servicers who members can personally recommend who may be able to give it back the silkiness I was expecting?

It could be that the nib is a fine one although I cannot see any indication of that on the nib and I don't know if Sheaffer even produced fine nibs for the PFMs. Can anyone throw any light on that aspect?

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bill Nick

• 3rdlakerobert

• siamackz

• ink-syringe

As beautiful as it is, the V that I got last has turned out to be a little disappointing, although that may be too strong a word for it. It's probably not much worse than my Waterman Prelude but I've never been over-ecstatic about that, even from new.

Examining the pen it appears to be perfect, the nib shows no sign of damage or misaligned tines but, compared to my PFM II and Imperial Triumph, it does not write as smoothly. At first I though it was scratchy but after some ink had been allowed to flow (it's not a dry writer) it did improve but not to the buttery smoothness of the other two pens. I'm using Diamine ink.

Does anyone have any suggestions; are there any expert nib tuners or servicers who members can personally recommend who may be able to give it back the silkiness I was expecting?

It could be that the nib is a fine one although I cannot see any indication of that on the nib and I don't know if Sheaffer even produced fine nibs for the PFMs. Can anyone throw any light on that aspect?

Have you a loupe? If not you really don't stand a chance of knowing about your tine alignment.

If you have looked at the alignment with a loupe and have convinced yourself that the tines are properly aligned and the shape of the tipping is nicely rounded over with no square edges to create feedback, then the next question is ink flow. Keep in mind the the tines must be exactly aligned. Exactly.

For the ideal flow with most inks, the tines should be spread at the very tip just enough to allow a crack of light when the pen is held up to a window or light. If not open them and get them that way. I mean almost touching but not quite. Open more and you'll have too much flow, a wet writer.

There's a lot more to tuning and there are excellent sites (Including Richard Binder's) that will educate you. But it sounds like you'd prefer to send it to someone. Danny Fudge is just one of the many excellent pen mechanics you can use, and others on this discussion forum will offer names.

Edited by Robert111

For the ideal flow with most inks, the tines should be spread at the very tip just enough to allow a crack of light when the pen is held up to a window or light. If not open them and get them that way. I mean almost touching but not quite. Open more and you'll have too much flow, a wet writer.

+1

I find that with fine nibs the flow needs to be set wet or its no fun to write

My Imperial VIII is very fine but very wet with tines spread exactly as you reccomend and its beautiful. Same with some of my balances, platinums, etc that are extra fine

My Vintage Montblanc Website--> link

Have you a loupe? If not you really don't stand a chance of knowing about your tine alignment.

If you have looked at the alignment with a loupe and have convinced yourself that the tines are properly aligned and the shape of the tipping is nicely rounded over with no square edges to create feedback, then the next question is ink flow. Keep in mind the the tines must be exactly aligned. Exactly.

There's a lot more to tuning and there are excellent sites (Including Richard Binder's) that will educate you. But it sounds like you'd prefer to send it to someone. Danny Fudge is just one of the many excellent pen mechanics you can use, and others on this discussion forum will offer names.

Appreciate that information, I don't have a loupe but I have used a magnifying glass. I'll have a look for a loupe. Do they come in different magnifications, what magnification is generally recommended? Excuse my ignorance.

Appreciate that information, I don't have a loupe but I have used a magnifying glass. I'll have a look for a loupe. Do they come in different magnifications, what magnification is generally recommended? Excuse my ignorance.

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/317737-quality-eye-loupe/?hl=loupe&do=findComment&comment=3892918

A loupe is necessary and 10x is great but I like to have hands free to work on the nib while I look. It doesn't replace the loupe but allows adjustment with both hands.

https://www.amazon.com/SE-MH1047L-Illuminated-Multi-Power-Magnifier/dp/B003UCODIA/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1511873488&sr=8-3&keywords=magnifying+headset+with+light

10x on the loupe. Mike Masuyama can get it writing like a dream.

PAKMAN

minibanner.gif                                    Vanness-world-final.png.c1b120b90855ce70a8fd70dd342ebc00.png

My Favorite Pen Restorer                                             My Favorite Pen Store

Vanness Pens - Selling Online!

A loupe is necessary and 10x is great but I like to have hands free to work on the nib while I look. It doesn't replace the loupe but allows adjustment with both hands.

https://www.amazon.com/SE-MH1047L-Illuminated-Multi-Power-Magnifier/dp/B003UCODIA/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1511873488&sr=8-3&keywords=magnifying+headset+with+light

Thanks for those, got one on order from Lazada, 10x.

10x on the loupe. Mike Masuyama can get it writing like a dream.

Thanks, ordered one last night, 10x. I had a good look again today in daylight using the ordinary magnifier but could not see anything obviously wrong. Wondering if a bit of very gentle 12000 micro-mesh work might smooth it out?

I'll bear Mike in mind even though I'd prefer a UK or European service simply because shipping back from the US is so usually so much more expensive for some reason.

Binder's website is down but Danny Fudge's smoothing service at $10 sounds good. Thanks for your input.

• 5 weeks later...

Well, that beautiful V has gone, disappeared in the post systems somewhere on it's way to Danny Fudge and I don't expect to see it again. So no more problems with not-so-smooth writing anymore!

Bought a Montblanc 144 as a consolation (posted on the MB forum) but the PFN V is what I really want to get again.

Sorry to hear about the fate of your PFM.

Mailing pens can be challenging, particularly with international mail. Did you send it in such a way that it could be tracked? Insured? I never mail pens, even within the USA, without both tracking and insurance. I learned the hard way when a pen person in Spain mailed my RHR Conklin Crescent Filler cap to me in England, without tracking or insurance. I never saw it again.

Very sorry for your loss Bill. I tend to believe your pen got lost before it hit US shores. I'm a big fan of US Postal Service. My eBay Dashboard says I've sold (and shipped) over 600 pens in the last 4 years. So far not a single instance of loss or damage (knock on wood) using USPS. Nevertheless, I agree with Crescentfiller and always ship with tracking and insurance.

I have had a few losses with international shipping and therefore now always use the Global Shipping Program, eBay's proprietary service for sellers. They know how to ship in foreign countries--choosing the safest and most reliable shipping companies.

Well, that beautiful V has gone, disappeared in the post systems somewhere on it's way to Danny Fudge and I don't expect to see it again. So no more problems with not-so-smooth writing anymore!

Bought a Montblanc 144 as a consolation (posted on the MB forum) but the PFN V is what I really want to get again.

Sorry about that my friend! My experience with the US postal service as an international buyer is similar!

My Vintage Montblanc Website--> link

Sorry to hear about the fate of your PFM.

Mailing pens can be challenging, particularly with international mail. Did you send it in such a way that it could be tracked? Insured? I never mail pens, even within the USA, without both tracking and insurance. I learned the hard way when a pen person in Spain mailed my RHR Conklin Crescent Filler cap to me in England, without tracking or insurance. I never saw it again.

Yes, it was sent with a tracking number and it's being investigated. Thailand Post is asking their counterparts in the US to look into it, as it left Thailand but was not seen again after that, so far.

Very sorry for your loss Bill. I tend to believe your pen got lost before it hit US shores. I'm a big fan of US Postal Service. My eBay Dashboard says I've sold (and shipped) over 600 pens in the last 4 years. So far not a single instance of loss or damage (knock on wood) using USPS. Nevertheless, I agree with Crescentfiller and always ship with tracking and insurance.

I have had a few losses with international shipping and therefore now always use the Global Shipping Program, eBay's proprietary service for sellers. They know how to ship in foreign countries--choosing the safest and most reliable shipping companies.

It went astray after it left Thailand according to the tracking system.

Sorry, but eBay's GSP is well known to be perhaps the most inefficient system in terms of time to deliver and the roundabout routes that are used. It is also a gigantic rip-off in terms of pricing, for buyers. That system also charges imaginary Customs duties even when none are due. I wonder what happens to those scam duties?

Having said that, deliveries may be made eventually which, so far has not happened with the system I used!

Sorry about that my friend! My experience with the US postal service as an international buyer is similar!

Sorry to hear that.

Sorry, but eBay's GSP is well known to be perhaps the most inefficient system in terms of time to deliver and the roundabout routes that are used. It is also a gigantic rip-off in terms of pricing, for buyers. That system also charges imaginary Customs duties even when none are due. I wonder what happens to those scam duties?

+1 on all this. Not telling anyone what to do. You can sell how you want but the GSP is evil and while convenient for the seller is awful for the buyer and the program seems entirely designed to line the pockets of Pitney Bowes, the company that runs it. Why they can't make a system that actually has accurate information about actually customs duties per country is baffling. They are constantly trying to charge me customs that are not actually due and on items that are clearly exempt. I also often wonder what happens to all those unnecessary customs fees and whether they actually get paid out or if PB keeps them.

Meanwhile, sorry about your PFM. I just sent one out in the mail 7000 miles away. I wish it safe travels to and fro.

Looking for a cap for a Sheaffer Touchdown Sentinel Deluxe Fat version

+1 on all this. Not telling anyone what to do. You can sell how you want but the GSP is evil and while convenient for the seller is awful for the buyer and the program seems entirely designed to line the pockets of Pitney Bowes, the company that runs it. Why they can't make a system that actually has accurate information about actually customs duties per country is baffling. They are constantly trying to charge me customs that are not actually due and on items that are clearly exempt. I also often wonder what happens to all those unnecessary customs fees and whether they actually get paid out or if PB keeps them.

Meanwhile, sorry about your PFM. I just sent one out in the mail 7000 miles away. I wish it safe travels to and fro.

I've heard similar comments from customers and so perhaps it's time for me and other eBay sellers to find another solution to the problems of loss and delay when shipping internationally. Before I went with the GSP I had an estimated 5 lost pens in my first selling year. In another instance a pen shipped to Italy appeared lost but turned up 8 months later and the buyer returned my refund.

Quite a few international buyers appear to be using middlemen in the US to relay their purchases to them. In other words, they have me ship to a party in the US who charges the buyer a fee for readdressing the package, doing the customs forms, and insuring the shipment to the buyer's home address.

The scam Customs duties are just extra profit for those involved, if no duty is payable then there is no one to pay that "duty" to.