The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

Disappointing Pfm V - Nib Tuning Recommendations?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 BillNick

BillNick

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 87 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 27 November 2017 - 22:45

As beautiful as it is, the V that I got last has turned out to be a little disappointing, although that may be too strong a word for it.  It's probably not much worse than my Waterman Prelude but I've never been over-ecstatic about that, even from new.

Examining the pen it appears to be perfect, the nib shows no sign of damage or misaligned tines but, compared to my PFM II and Imperial Triumph, it does not write as smoothly.  At first I though it was scratchy but after some ink had been allowed to flow (it's not a dry writer) it did improve but not to the buttery smoothness of the other two pens.  I'm using Diamine ink.

Does anyone have any suggestions; are there any expert nib tuners or servicers who members can personally recommend who may be able to give it back the silkiness I was expecting?

It could be that the nib is a fine one although I cannot see any indication of that on the nib and I don't know if Sheaffer even produced fine nibs for the PFMs.  Can anyone throw any light on that aspect?

Sponsored Content

#2 Robert111

Robert111

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 899 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 27 November 2017 - 23:31

As beautiful as it is, the V that I got last has turned out to be a little disappointing, although that may be too strong a word for it.  It's probably not much worse than my Waterman Prelude but I've never been over-ecstatic about that, even from new.

Examining the pen it appears to be perfect, the nib shows no sign of damage or misaligned tines but, compared to my PFM II and Imperial Triumph, it does not write as smoothly.  At first I though it was scratchy but after some ink had been allowed to flow (it's not a dry writer) it did improve but not to the buttery smoothness of the other two pens.  I'm using Diamine ink.

Does anyone have any suggestions; are there any expert nib tuners or servicers who members can personally recommend who may be able to give it back the silkiness I was expecting?

It could be that the nib is a fine one although I cannot see any indication of that on the nib and I don't know if Sheaffer even produced fine nibs for the PFMs.  Can anyone throw any light on that aspect?

Have you a loupe? If not you really don't stand a chance of knowing about your tine alignment. 

If you have looked at the alignment with a loupe and have convinced yourself that the tines are properly aligned and the shape of the tipping is nicely rounded over with no square edges to create feedback, then the next question is ink flow. Keep in mind the the tines must be exactly aligned. Exactly.

For the ideal flow with most inks, the tines should be spread at the very tip just enough to allow a crack of light when the pen is held up to a window or light. If not open them and get them that way. I mean almost touching but not quite. Open more and you'll have too much flow, a wet writer.

There's a lot more to tuning and there are excellent sites (Including Richard Binder's) that will educate you. But it sounds like you'd prefer to send it to someone. Danny Fudge is just one of the many excellent pen mechanics you can use, and others on this discussion forum will offer names.

Edited by Robert111, 27 November 2017 - 23:33.

#3 siamackz

siamackz

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 716 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 28 November 2017 - 00:59

For the ideal flow with most inks, the tines should be spread at the very tip just enough to allow a crack of light when the pen is held up to a window or light. If not open them and get them that way. I mean almost touching but not quite. Open more and you'll have too much flow, a wet writer.

+1

I find that with fine nibs the flow needs to be set wet or its no fun to write

My Imperial VIII is very fine but very wet with tines spread exactly as you reccomend and its beautiful. Same with some of my balances, platinums, etc that are extra fine

#4 BillNick

BillNick

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 87 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 28 November 2017 - 11:11

Have you a loupe? If not you really don't stand a chance of knowing about your tine alignment. 

If you have looked at the alignment with a loupe and have convinced yourself that the tines are properly aligned and the shape of the tipping is nicely rounded over with no square edges to create feedback, then the next question is ink flow. Keep in mind the the tines must be exactly aligned. Exactly.

There's a lot more to tuning and there are excellent sites (Including Richard Binder's) that will educate you. But it sounds like you'd prefer to send it to someone. Danny Fudge is just one of the many excellent pen mechanics you can use, and others on this discussion forum will offer names.

Appreciate that information, I don't have a loupe but I have used a magnifying glass. I'll have a look for a loupe.  Do they come in different magnifications, what magnification is generally recommended?  Excuse my ignorance.

#5 Robert111

Robert111

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 899 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 28 November 2017 - 12:47

Appreciate that information, I don't have a loupe but I have used a magnifying glass. I'll have a look for a loupe.  Do they come in different magnifications, what magnification is generally recommended?  Excuse my ignorance.

http://www.fountainp...pe#entry3892918

#6 Robert111

Robert111

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 899 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 28 November 2017 - 12:54

A loupe is necessary and 10x is great but I like to have hands free to work on the nib while I look. It doesn't replace the loupe but allows adjustment with both hands.

https://www.amazon.c...dset with light

#7 PAKMAN

PAKMAN

Say that again, I have a pen here somewhere...

• FPN Super Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,529 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 28 November 2017 - 17:37

10x on the loupe. Mike Masuyama can get it writing like a dream.

PAKMAN

minibanner.gif             fpn_1321906507__vanness_sign.jpg 

My Favorite Pen Restorer                            My favorite Brick and Mortar              

now selling online!

#8 BillNick

BillNick

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 87 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 29 November 2017 - 18:12

A loupe is necessary and 10x is great but I like to have hands free to work on the nib while I look. It doesn't replace the loupe but allows adjustment with both hands.

https://www.amazon.c...dset with light

Thanks for those, got one on order from Lazada, 10x.

#9 BillNick

BillNick

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 87 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 29 November 2017 - 18:22

10x on the loupe. Mike Masuyama can get it writing like a dream.

Thanks, ordered one last night, 10x.  I had a good look again today in daylight using the ordinary magnifier but could not see anything obviously wrong.  Wondering if a bit of very gentle 12000 micro-mesh work might smooth it out?

I'll bear Mike in mind even though I'd prefer a UK or European service simply because shipping back from the US is so usually so much more expensive for some reason.

#10 BillNick

BillNick

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 87 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 29 November 2017 - 18:29

Binder's website is down but Danny Fudge's smoothing service at $10 sounds good.  Thanks for your input.

Sponsored Content

|