The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

Massdrop -5 Pen Manhattan Portage Clamshell Case $14

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Honeybadgers

Honeybadgers

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 610 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 27 November 2017 - 22:06

As usual, I only link what I've put my own money down on!

seems like a great deal for a small, durable pen case. 5 pens is a good number too for a trip to work/school. 4 colors to choose, black, grey, navy (what I got) and red.

It doesn't look like it'll hold maxi pens, but I think it should swallow most typical pens. My visconti's all get their own cases anyways.

As always, if you want to buy, please use my link here to register, I get a goodie box if enough people do!

http://dro.ps/b/PcznCxg/l

And the link to the case itself is here.

https://www.massdrop...rtage-pen-cases

MD-23525_20160727094809_7bb4fe956f686039

Edited by Honeybadgers, 27 November 2017 - 22:08.

Sponsored Content

#2 Flounder

Flounder

Forum Moderate

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,884 posts

Posted 27 November 2017 - 23:41

Maybe for normal pens, I guess. For fountain pens, I really don't care for this kind of design; all the clips rubbing against each other, top of the caps exposed to the zipper, nasty rough woven nylon dragged across plated cap bands and barrel tassies as pens go in their slots.

In summation: Bleurgh!

Edited by Flounder, 27 November 2017 - 23:42.

Latest pen related post @ flounders-mindthots.blogspot.com : vintage Pilot Elite Pocket Pen review

#3 Jamerelbe

Jamerelbe

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,975 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 27 November 2017 - 23:58

I think this is a pretty good pen case, though it won't fit extra-long pens.  On mine there's one pocket (the rightmost) which will fit a fatter pen, and one (the leftmost) which will only fit a thinner pen - the other three will comfortably fit "average" sized pens (TWSBI Diamond 580, Jinhao x750 etc) with a bit of room to spare.  The "half-zip" design, which apparently is being redesigned, is the better fit for extra-long pens.

Definitely worth a look-in, and a pretty reasonable price!

#4 gillum51

gillum51

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Silver

• PipPip
  • 20 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 29 November 2017 - 04:52

i got one of these the last time they were on Massdrop and i have been pretty happy with mine.  While its true that really large pens won't typically fit, most of the cases i have seen are not designed with oversized pens in mind.  this case can easily carry 4 pens around the size of a Lamy 2000 with no problem.  the price is very reasonable as well. 

Sponsored Content

|