The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

2018 Philly Pen Show

• Please log in to reply
70 replies to this topic

#61 silverdragonia

silverdragonia

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 60 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 15 January 2018 - 01:48

I just got back a little while ago. This was my first pen show and it was a bit overwhelming. Seeing so many beautiful writing objects but knowing so little about them - not really knowing what I was looking at - kept me from making any vintage purchases. I ended up buying ink, converters, a few pads, and a Preppy and a Varsity for a neighbor who expressed some interest in fountain pens.

My one regret is not getting a Kaweco wave-brass Liliput in B (or was it M?) at a very good sale price from Anderson Pens - better than any online or Massdrop price I'd remembered seeing. 

It was fun to see pens I'd only seen pictures of before, like the new Lamy Aion (unfortunately not inked up anywhere I looked), as well as brands I'd never heard of, like handmade lacquered Japanese-made pens from Taccia.

Many thanks to Josh Lax for his generosity in discussing nibs and feeds when he had some spare time. At his table I was able to experiment writing with different nibs, and I learned that although I am a lefty the oblique right nib is not for me (I did better with the oblique left, oddly enough), and that, for whatever reason, I got along pretty well with architectural nibs too.

The people in Philly were all very nice and helpful, on the show floor and in town. I went to the Starbucks across the street and the coffee urn for the roast blend I'd just ordered started blinking, meaning it had just expired. The barista offered to make me a fresh one-person pour-over of it. Not an offer you'll usually get at a Starbucks in NYC.

I did make it to Steve's Prince of Cheesesteaks. Huge. Got mine 'wit' and soon thereafter my gut bacteria were covered in Cheez Wiz like ravers at a foam party.

Did you take any workshops? I originally only planned on going Friday as a day trip, then decided I wanted to take workshops on Saturday and go home right after. I ended up staying until past closing on Sat and almost going again on Sunday at door price.  :D Both workshops were really good and worth the trip by themselves. FYI, all the amazing calligraphers I talked to said the same to me- many of the best calligraphers are left handed!

It was my first pen show too and I think Friday was really overwhelming (or confusing?) for me. Saturday was a lot more vendors and people, thus more energy and I ended up having so much fun. It was so cold today I ended up not doing much walking around Philly and I *almost*  went back to the show. I am now trying to see what other pen shows I can hit up before the Long Island one.

My happiest take homes are some inks I've been looking for (Organics Studio and Akkerman) and my first vintage pen, an Esterbrook SJ.

Sponsored Content

#62 tvradio

tvradio

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 385 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 15 January 2018 - 02:13

Congrats on the new-old pen! No, I did not take any workshops, but I was intrigued when I saw Shawn (?) doing free calligraphy name tags in the afternoon. Now that I've begun using fountain pens regularly, I'm only at the beginner stage of training myself to move my hand less when I write and move my arm more, so calligraphy is probably farther down the line for me.

According to one vendor I spoke with the crowds were normal on Saturday, but light today. A few vendors in the main hall started boxing up their wares as early as 1:30pm but most were there when I left to get my bus home. I picked up a few random ink samples but I was annoyed with myself because I'd forgotten to copy onto my phone an outline I'd created from watching several dozen Youtube ink reviews (mostly VittaR and Brian Goulet), and I forgot which of the inks I'd wanted most to try. 

“We could be heroes/Just for one day” ― David Bowie

#63 tadas

tadas

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 15 January 2018 - 06:00

Just got in a couple of minutes ago, googled the name - Steves is the *Prince* of Cheesesteak, so you inadvertently offed his father. Yelp says theyre open right now, at 9:45am, but Ill wait a couple of hours for my seasonal intake of Cheez Whiz.

Cold, but not as cold as getting to the bus by the Javits Center in Manhattan this morning. (BoltBus/Megabus tip: theres a Starbucks open in the Javits Cntr across the street.)

Bus was fast and uneventful, commuter train was absurdly priced: $8.50 round trip for a train taking one only one stop.

I wasn't implying regiicide, just an appreciation for the superb quality of the food. Hope you had a chance to try their superb cheesesteaks. I'm restraining myself - last year, 6 of 9 of my meals were from there. This year, I've held back to four...

You're lucky on the bus - my Greyhound from Washington DC last Friday arrived att Union Station an hour late, and I only got to the show at 2:30....

#64 tvradio

tvradio

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 385 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 15 January 2018 - 13:52

My return bus was scheduled for 3:15 but I arrived at 2:30 to be safe - good thing, because apparently one of the buses that afternoon was canceled. I arrived in time to be told there was no room on the 2:30pm bus, then I waited for my bus, whereupon people with tickets for 2pm and 3pm (!) buses got on ahead of me before I was finally allowed to board.

Next time I'll know to bring my phone charger. Free onboard WiFi was a pretty nice touch.

Yes, I had the cheesesteak. Pretty good but gigantic. While there I did a quick googling and found a study that said the average Philly cheesesteak has 900 calories. Yikes.

“We could be heroes/Just for one day” ― David Bowie

#65 tadas

tadas

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 15 January 2018 - 14:54

I was there at prime time: 10-2 on Saturday and I thought the show was pretty well attended. It was relatively difficult to move around and get to a few of the dealers. I can't really compare to any other shows but it seems to me that you can find anything you need / want in Philly. (maybe I am wrong.)

to understand the size - imagine a hotel ballroom with tables around the outside and two double-sided rows down the middle to create a configuration with three "lanes." plus a row of vendors outsifde.

Of course, Baltimore and DC are not far for me. Can someone comment on the advantages of one of those to Philly?

Take the Philly show. Add about 20 more sellers, including smaller "semi pro" hobbyists, two or three more repair guys, events in the evening. That's Baltimore.

Take the Philly show. Increase the ambient outside temperature some 60 degrees. Double everything. Add a little more. That's the DC Supershow..

#66 Pentode

Pentode

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 269 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 15 January 2018 - 16:48

Congrats @silverdragonia on the SJ. Thats a great choice to start your vintage journey with!

I would have taken the smoothing/tuning seminar on Saturday but it was full up by the time I decided for sure I was going. Oh, well.... something to look forward to next time.

I did take a walk through the Terminal Market (an unfortunate name for a food market), but passed on the cheesesteak. I was only in Philly for 24 hours and my preferred cheesesteak vendor was closed on Sunday when I was there. My wife and I visit Philly often enough that I can get my fix when I need it. For thr record, y'all can keep your cheez-wiz! Give me provalone or give me death!

The wallet-busting vintage haul for me included Sheaffer 7-30, Valiant and Sentinel - all green - a double-jewel Vac, also green, a mid 50s Pelikan 400nn in tortoise and a Navy Grey '51' aero that's a little bigger than a demi but a little smaller than full size. A semi-demi? The 7-30 and '51' came at what I thought were very good prices. The others were not good or bad, just fair market value. All the vendors were fair and honest, IME.

Edited by Pentode, 15 January 2018 - 17:22.

#67 silverdragonia

silverdragonia

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 60 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 15 January 2018 - 20:14

Congrats on the new-old pen! No, I did not take any workshops, but I was intrigued when I saw Shawn (?) doing free calligraphy name tags in the afternoon. Now that I've begun using fountain pens regularly, I'm only at the beginner stage of training myself to move my hand less when I write and move my arm more, so calligraphy is probably farther down the line for me.

According to one vendor I spoke with the crowds were normal on Saturday, but light today. A few vendors in the main hall started boxing up their wares as early as 1:30pm but most were there when I left to get my bus home. I picked up a few random ink samples but I was annoyed with myself because I'd forgotten to copy onto my phone an outline I'd created from watching several dozen Youtube ink reviews (mostly VittaR and Brian Goulet), and I forgot which of the inks I'd wanted most to try. 

Thanks :) You know, it's funny because I went in thinking, 'what the hell does one do at a pen show for 3 days?'. I thought I would get bored but it was the opposite. Honestly, Friday I was doubting if I should have signed up for the Spencerian workshop but it ended up being very beginner friendly - I've never taken any classes before and have only toyed with an oblique holder that someone gifted me 3 months ago. I definitely spent a lot of the time consciously reminding myself to move my arm and not my wrist. But it was a lot of fun and now I want to take all the workshops.

I didn't really go in with a plan *womp womp* I definitely wasn't planning to buy any vintage pens but I ran into some of the Big Apple Pen Club people and I was sent down that path haha. Next time I'll have a plan.

Congrats @silverdragonia on the SJ. Thats a great choice to start your vintage journey with!

I would have taken the smoothing/tuning seminar on Saturday but it was full up by the time I decided for sure I was going. Oh, well.... something to look forward to next time.

I did take a walk through the Terminal Market (an unfortunate name for a food market), but passed on the cheesesteak. I was only in Philly for 24 hours and my preferred cheesesteak vendor was closed on Sunday when I was there. My wife and I visit Philly often enough that I can get my fix when I need it. For thr record, y'all can keep your cheez-wiz! Give me provalone or give me death!

The wallet-busting vintage haul for me included Sheaffer 7-30, Valiant and Sentinel - all green - a double-jewel Vac, also green, a mid 50s Pelikan 400nn in tortoise and a Navy Grey '51' aero that's a little bigger than a demi but a little smaller than full size. A semi-demi? The 7-30 and '51' came at what I thought were very good prices. The others were not good or bad, just fair market value. All the vendors were fair and honest, IME.

Thanks! I had no idea what I was doing but the vendor was so nice. Apparently I've been holding my fountain pens wrong for 3-4 years, how embarrassing. :lticaptd:

The nib smoothing/tuning workshop was so much fun. I feel like both instructors were just good at teaching their workshops and getting people to cast their fears aside and jump right in.

I am a newb so I don't have any wallet-busting hauls (yet). But from where I am now, this seems to be a temping and dangerously slippery path lol :crybaby:

#68 Pentode

Pentode

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 269 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 16 January 2018 - 16:05

I am a newb so I don't have any wallet-busting hauls (yet). But from where I am now, this seems to be a temping and dangerously slippery path lol :crybaby:

Well, it all started for me with an Esterbrook....

I had no idea there were Big Apple Pen Club folks in attendance or I might have made an effort to introduce myself. I work only a few blocks from where they meet but I've never gone to one of their get-togethers. I guess I probably should one of these days.

Edited by Pentode, 16 January 2018 - 20:25.

#69 GoldenNibs

GoldenNibs

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 37 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 16 January 2018 - 17:48

Philly was my first pen show ever and it was great. Many pens to look at from both sides of the hobby such as vintage and modern along with supplies and many inks. I ended up buying way too many pens. I probably bought around 100 or more vintage pens but some are parts and most need to be restored. I will be busy for a long time. I did get a nice Swan bhr pen in the box and an interesting ringtop/vest clip Victor bulb filler pen. I ended up meeting many great folks and got some tips on repairs from some of them.

#70 silverdragonia

silverdragonia

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 60 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 16 January 2018 - 20:57

Well, it all started for me with an Esterbrook....

I had no idea there were Big Apple Pen Club folks in attendance or I might have made an effort to introduce myself. I work only a few blocks from where they meet but I've never gone to one of their get-togethers. I guess I probably should one of these days.

I tend to stick with finer nibs, but I ended up opting for a really broad nib with the Esterbrook and I love it!

I've only gone to a couple of the Big Apple Pen Club meetings. Everyone has been so much help and I've learned a lot. You should definitely swing by (second Thursday of the month).

#71 philhygra

philhygra

NOS (New Old Stock)

• FPN Supporter - Platinum

• PipPip
  • 22 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 20 January 2018 - 22:32

This was my first show as well (about time, I am 68). A bit overwhelming yes, but great fun all Saturday. This time I spent only one week in the US but besides the Philly show had the pleasure of going to the Big Apple meet on Thursday as well. The show was just as dangerous as I thought. I was able to pick up a 1930s Platinum maki-e pen in the begining so that was about it as buying goes...:) Luckily my wife told me to try to bring a "very old" pen for her as well. Not knowing whether an Onoto or a Waterman better suited her taste, I just had to grab both. I am not sure she bought the explanation, though.

One thing I know sure. This was not my last pen show, nor my last Phiadelphia one!

Thank you to all the nice people I had the opportunity to meet there.

Sponsored Content

|