2018 Philly Pen Show

avlisyar

I know it might be early but does anyone have any info on the show.

I have seen the Website but there is no listing for the vendors attending

this year. I hope the weather holds out as this is what I consider my home

show.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• tvradio

• avlisyar

• tadas

• paperglo

Hi,

Is it outside? I plan on going but I too am wholey ignorant of the time and space in which this convention will take place. It's the closest show to where I live.

"If brute force has failed to yield the desired result, it simply means you've failed to yield enough force."

Hi,

Is it outside? I plan on going but I too am wholey ignorant of the time and space in which this convention will take place. It's the closest show to where I live.

No ... It is inside.

Hi,

Due to resource constraints it will be held in Fairmount Park. Oildrums and firewood will be provided to all vendors.

JK! The webpage says it will be at the Westin, same as last year. Looks like Friday 1/12 through Sunday 1/14. Let's all hope for clear skies.

Edited by Mister5

Inked: Aurora Optima EF (Pelikan Tanzanite); Franklin Christoph Pocket 20 Needlepoint (Sailor Kiwa Guro); Sheaffers PFM I Reporter/Fine (Diamine Oxblood); Franklin Christoph 02 Medium Stub (Aurora Black); Platinum Plaisir Gunmetal EF (Platinum Brown); Platinum Preppy M (Platinum Blue-Black). Leaded: Palomino Blackwing 602; Lamy Scribble 0.7 (Pentel Ain Stein 2B); Uni Kuru Toga Roulette 0.5 (Uni Kuru Toga HB); Parker 51 Plum 0.9 (Pilot Neox HB)

Had me going there! I figured it was inside, can't imagine it not being so! I'll have to look for the site again.

It's my first show so I've no idea. Hoping to sell some of my stuff if possible and maybe buy something nice. Maybe have my 2000's newly developed toothiness mended.

Edited by ClockworkCollector

"If brute force has failed to yield the desired result, it simply means you've failed to yield enough force."

• 2 weeks later...

Oooo yes, I am counting days!!! This s my home show as well, and I will be there!!!

Hopefully there will be a meet and greet or something...

I've never been to a pen show before, and I'm thinking of going to this one. I can probably only go one day: Sunday, the last day.

Can anyone tell me the best way to get there from NYC? Last night someone at the Big Apple Pen Club mentioned using BoltBus - is that a good choice? If anyone's used BoltBus can you tell me how far it drops you off from show at The Westin?

Also, since it's the last day the show hours are 10-4 (instead of the previous two days' 10-5), but I assume vendors will start packing up early. When would be a good time for me to leave?

“We could be heroes/Just for one day” ― David Bowie

I've never been to a pen show before, and I'm thinking of going to this one. I can probably only go one day: Sunday, the last day.

Can anyone tell me the best way to get there from NYC? Last night someone at the Big Apple Pen Club mentioned using BoltBus - is that a good choice? If anyone's used BoltBus can you tell me how far it drops you off from show at The Westin?

Also, since it's the last day the show hours are 10-4 (instead of the previous two days' 10-5), but I assume vendors will start packing up early. When would be a good time for me to leave?

I don't know if it's the best way but greyhound is $10 each way, and drops off about a 10-15m walk from the Westin.

Thanks. I went to the BoltBus site and found I could take a 7:30am bus that takes 2 hours to get into Philly, with many returning buses throughout the day. Round-trip $25 - close to the Greyhound price.

This is also my first ftn pen show, does anyone know if the seminar ticket includes admission for the day? I only ask because it won't let me add both to the cart at the same time.

Apparently the pickup/dropoff point for both Megabus & BoltBus is at the 30th St Station, which appears to be around a mile from The Westin, and over a (pedestrian-friendly?) bridge. [pic] Does anyone know how walkable this route is?

This is where you exit 30th Street Station. Walk up this street (JFK Blvd) around seven blocks, turn right on 17th street and go two blocks. Entrance to the Westin will be on your left.

977A5489-M.jpg

I've been attending pen shows for over twenty years. My recommendation for Sunday only is to get there when the doors open and leave at 2 - 3 PM

I forgot to mention you don't have to walk. You can get on a regional rail train at 30th Street, go one stop into the city (to Suburban Station), and you'll be at 16th & JFK Blvd. I can't speak for today, but as of a couple of years ago, that was always free. Just get on any train going to Suburban Station, lots of them pass through 30th Street -- it's about a three-minute ride.

Perfect. Thanks. Going to get my show ticket and bus tickets this week!

... aaaand just did that. Booked a bus to arrive at 9:15am, which gives me plenty of time to get lost before the doors open at 10am, and then I booked a return bus at 3:15pm.

I also bought my $13 one-day ticket from the pen show's website, and it proferred an e-ticket with a QR code after I paid. Should I print out that page, or would it be sufficient to put a pdf of the order confirmation page in my phone?

... aaaand just did that. Booked a bus to arrive at 9:15am, which gives me plenty of time to get lost before the doors open at 10am, and then I booked a return bus at 3:15pm.

I also bought my $13 one-day ticket from the pen show's website, and it proferred an e-ticket with a QR code after I paid. Should I print out that page, or would it be sufficient to put a pdf of the order confirmation page in my phone?

I usually print out the page but i would say the pdf on the phone should work.

• 2 weeks later...

This will also be my first pen show. Is there vendors in attendance that usually sell parts? I noticed some other pen shows had at least one vendor with bins filled with spares or broken pens.

There are usually several vendors that will have parts

and or pens that are sold for parts.

Do shows have people selling Pilot nibs? I've been enjoying my new Pilot Metropolitan in M but I'd like to try a Pilot B nib. I don't see loose ones for sale, just Pilot 78G models in B on sale on ebay for around $18-$24.