The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

Delta Fp Repair (Darwin Evolution)

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 joyonroy

joyonroy

Dipped Only

• Member - Silver

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 27 November 2017 - 18:09

I have a Delta FP - Darwin Evolution LE

This morning the pen fell and a couple of parts became unglued.

I called Yafa and learned Delta has closed as of last month (so sad), and that Yafa no longer supports FP repairs.

So my question for this forum: where can I send my Delta FP for repairs?

Sponsored Content

#2 Chi Town

Chi Town

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,784 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 28 November 2017 - 11:33

1) Can you be more specific as to what parts became unglued?

2) What about some pictures of the damaged areas, so that we all can see what we would be dealing with to repair?

3) Then we can move forward as to where to send the pen for repairs......

Mike

Visconti Last Lira aka Luigi Einaudi #63 of 975, Stipula Yellow Da Vinci Carbon Fiber T, Stipula Model T, Vintage Fountain Pens, Delta Amerigo Vespucci LE, Pelikan Special Edition Sahara F/P, TWSBI Micarta, Danitrio Mikado, Genkai, Nakaya Decapod Cigar, Watley in Woodgrain, Marlen Yellow Liberty LE, Santa FE Style Custom "51" made by Ralph Prather, president New Mexico Pen Collector's Club.

#3 joyonroy

joyonroy

Dipped Only

• Member - Silver

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 28 November 2017 - 22:22

Hello - here is a photo of the pen parts. Im obviously upset this happened, particularly as I am quite careful and fastidious about my pens!
It appears the barrel separated at the silver band. Not clear if the separation was where the barrel had been glued, or if the barrel fractured (yikes).72CE486B-9A79-49C2-B646-98D7BFC1AFBF.jpeg

#4 Ron Z

Ron Z

Museum Piece

• FPN Super Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,061 posts

Posted 29 November 2017 - 01:28

It looks like the barrel broke just below the ring, but the picture is too contrasty to see details.  It might be repairable, but you can't just slather glue on.  The has to be reinforced on the inside, and maybe solvent welded.  I would want to see the pen in person before I commented farther.

banner200.jpg
Visit Main Street Pens
A full service pen shop providing professional, thoughtful vintage pen repair...

Please use email, not a PM for repair and pen purchase inquiries.

#5 joyonroy

joyonroy

Dipped Only

• Member - Silver

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 30 November 2017 - 23:07

I am pretty certain you are correct: the barrel broke 

So how does one "repair" this? is it just a matter of gluing the parts together? is the pen ready for the trash (especially since this is a Delta pen and I imagine I can't send the pen back to Delta in Italy and have them replace the barrel)?

#6 Ron Z

Ron Z

Museum Piece

• FPN Super Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,061 posts

Posted 01 December 2017 - 00:03

Please read my previous comment.  You need a lathe and materials to reinforce the break to do a reliable repair.  One of the things that I specialize in is to repair problems like this. I don't recommend trying it on your own  because you could turn a repairable break into a mess that can't be redeemed.  I've seen it more than once.

Contact me by email, and we'll continue back channel.

banner200.jpg
Visit Main Street Pens
A full service pen shop providing professional, thoughtful vintage pen repair...

Please use email, not a PM for repair and pen purchase inquiries.

Sponsored Content

|