I Didn't Know That Every Single Lamy Was Tested Like This!

marcelo

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• marcelo

• ParkerDuofold

• ErrantSmudge

• Astronymus

Like how? Is there a video?

Erick

Using right now:

Visconti Voyager 30 "M" nib running Birmingham Streetcar

Jinhao 9019 "EF" nib running Birmingham Railroad Spike

Pelikan M1000 "F" nib running Birmingham Sugar Kelp

Sailor King of Pens "M" nib running Van Dieman's Heemskerch and Zeehaen

Erick

Hi Erick, et al,

The Studio is the cut-off, (maybe the Aion is now? :unsure:); all Lamy pens are tested roboticly. However, Studios, L2K's and upper-echelon pens are tested and tuned by hand.

If I can find the video, I'll post it. ;)

- Anthony

ETA, (skip to around 3:15 for the inspection protocols):

http://youtu.be/seL0J8oQMEc

Edited by ParkerDuofold

Erick

No. The image above I didn't manage to post the 1st time... ;)

Edited by marcelo

Interesting, kinda feel a bit reassured with their quality.

Edited by papermen

Visiting San Clemente to surf this weekend and I haven't installed my headache rack for boards yet.

As there have been an uncomfortably large number of QC issues that people read of here and at Reddit and other places, Lamy's claim is not so convincing. Not so long ago there was a thread or 2 about people who bought a Lamy pen(Safari IIRC) that, not only did it not write, but it had no slit at all!

It's highly unlikely that every pen is tested. Much more likely is that 1 Lamy pen per batch is tested.

From my own personal experience with the full range of Lamy nibs and the Lamy 2000, the EF was scratchy, the F and M were exactly the same, both Bs, the 1.5, 1.9, and Lamy 2000 had babys bottom with occasional skipping, and only the 1.1 wrote as it should.

It's highly unlikely that every pen is tested. Much more likely is that 1 Lamy pen per batch is tested.I

I understand your skepticism, but they replied to us on Instagram that "every single Lamy is tested this way".

I understand your skepticism, but they replied to us on Instagram that "every single Lamy is tested this way".

Hi Marcelo, et al,

You'll be hard-pressed to find a bigger Lamy fan around here than me... just ask around... :D ...however, with the quantity of pens they produce; they cannot all be tested by hand as the photo you posted suggests. The majority of Lamy pens are tested roboticly... refer to the Lamy produced video I posted above.

Unfortunately, robotic testing does leave things to be desired... I've received several Lamy's that had inferior nibs that a human inspector would have quickly discovered and corrected... or at least tossed aside.

My guess is the photo they put up on Instagram, (that you posted), is a batch test, (as Bluey maintains); those are still typically done by hand.

Be well. :)

- Anthony

EDITED to add video so you do not have to scroll up. :)

Edited by ParkerDuofold

Just to follow-up, the person who responded "every Lamy is tested this way,"... evidently doesn't know their job very well... which is an all too common problem today... :( ...please watch the video I posted. ;)

- Anthony

When I was editing for Jinhao many years ago they used to have a video showing their nibs writing before they were fitted to their pens so think about the cost of a Jinhao as against a Lamy You are getting a lot more for your Dollar with Jinhao the affordable PEN. Trust Me. Oneill

I had my experience with QC. There is no affordable 100% QC. Even NASA lost material and people due to failures. Here and there a bad pen will slip through.

In the German automobile industry there is a word for that: "Montagsauto" - Mondaycar. As worker were most likely a little bit sloppy on mondays. Too much beer on the weekend? Who knows?

The cost of a Jinhao might be quite a result of the quite low payment in China. Also the quantity is undoubtedly higher.

With my experience concerning chinese goods I still will prefer a product made outside China.

I believe the video ParkerDuofold posted mentioned they do sample testing on batches. I will have to go back and rewatch.

As there have been an uncomfortably large number of QC issues that people read of here and at Reddit and other places, Lamy's claim is not so convincing. Not so long ago there was a thread or 2 about people who bought a Lamy pen(Safari IIRC) that, not only did it not write, but it had no slit at all!

It's highly unlikely that every pen is tested. Much more likely is that 1 Lamy pen per batch is tested.

From my own personal experience with the full range of Lamy nibs and the Lamy 2000, the EF was scratchy, the F and M were exactly the same, both Bs, the 1.5, 1.9, and Lamy 2000 had babys bottom with occasional skipping, and only the 1.1 wrote as it should.

Hi Marcelo, et al,

You'll be hard-pressed to find a bigger Lamy fan around here than me... just ask around... :D ...however, with the quantity of pens they produce; they cannot all be tested by hand as the photo you posted suggests. The majority of Lamy pens are tested roboticly... refer to the Lamy produced video I posted above.

Unfortunately, robotic testing does leave things to be desired... I've received several Lamy's that had inferior nibs that a human inspector would have quickly discovered and corrected... or at least tossed aside.

My guess is the photo they put up on Instagram, (that you posted), is a batch test, (as Bluey maintains); those are still typically done by hand.

Be well. :)

- Anthony

EDITED to add video so you do not have to scroll up. :)

I had my experience with QC. There is no affordable 100% QC. Even NASA lost material and people due to failures. Here and there a bad pen will slip through.
In the German automobile industry there is a word for that: "Montagsauto" - Mondaycar. As worker were most likely a little bit sloppy on mondays. Too much beer on the weekend? Who knows?
The cost of a Jinhao might be quite a result of the quite low payment in China. Also the quantity is undoubtedly higher.
With my experience concerning chinese goods I still will prefer a product made outside China.

Based on what you - especially Anthony - said, I must agree. Lamy is no Patek Philippe and it is impossible to test all the pens that are manufactured in such high volume. There is also the cost of labor factor. How much does a tester in Lamy, based in Germany, earn? I can bet that close to what I - a senior manager of a 230.000 people multinational company - earn in Brazil.

I could not agree more. I recently bought a Sheaffer Prelude without knowing they were being manufactured in China, not in the US. The pen writes well, but the cap and barrel finish quality is really low. I was disappointed.

First let me say I am a big Lamy fan, have had about a dozen of their pens over the past 8 years, including 3 or 4 2000's.

Most of the Lamy pens I purchased had traces of ink (looked like Lamy Blue) on and in the nib unit upon arrival, so I assume some of the pens I purchased were tested to some degree.

That being said, over half of my new Lamy nibs (2000, Safari, AL-Star) were scratchy. I now have a few Safari's that write acceptably, and I had to send my latest 2000 to Mike Masuyama to get it tuned and smoothed where it is now one of my favorite writers. I sold the others.

I have also had scratchy Pelikans and Sailors, so the problem is not limited to Lamy by any means. My only regret is that I did not tour the Lamy factory to observe their quality control when I was working in Heidelberg (too many Biergartens).

My only regret is that I did not tour the Lamy factory to observe their quality control when I was working in Heidelberg (too many Biergartens).

Well, you had many good reasons to not tour the factory. :-)

Edited by marcelo