Pics Of My Pelikan 805 Ocean Swirl

whichwatch

Since its initial announcement, there have been a number of questions about the newly released Pelikan M805 Ocean Swirl. Is it more blue or more green? Does the pattern exist all the way around the circumference, or is it mainly in two opposing quadrants with the other two quadrants primarily dark? Mine arrived today, and I thought I'd share a few quick photos to help those still on the fence about the pen. No doubt the material varies from pen to pen, and what my pen shows is no guarantee that others will be the same. All I can do is share my one experience.

As far as the color, that part is easy. It is best described as teal but to my eye leans more blue than green. But when it comes to patterned and dark areas, the answer is clearly….. it depends!

My first reaction when I opened the box in my “normal daylight but not overly bright” home office was one of disappointment. While some of the areas of the pen were gorgeous, others appeared totally dark. While I could get the patterned and dark areas to align along the length of the pen by partially loosening the cap, when the cap was fully tight the areas did not align and this made matters worse to my eye. I took the pen outside and shot the first three pictures on my porch in indirect daylight on a partly cloudy day. This fairly well represents what I saw in my office. But then

http://www.fototime.com/%7BFFD6407A-7E0C-4E06-9262-40975CAD9BDD%7D/origpict/i1.png

http://www.fototime.com/%7B721BC211-9775-4823-990E-16DA211A851E%7D/origpict/i2.png

http://www.fototime.com/%7B26610695-8B8F-4911-A0F7-4608BF751D38%7D/origpict/i3.png

I took the pen into an indirectly sunny area of the porch and took the next three shots. The patterned areas popped a bit more, but I still didn’t like the dark areas of the pen. But then as I was

http://www.fototime.com/%7B409DA049-E79A-4479-B426-760D04F8CC93%7D/origpict/d1.png

http://www.fototime.com/%7B532A2BCA-CE96-4102-AEAE-C59E1C41A4E5%7D/origpict/d2.png

http://www.fototime.com/%7B51AD8AC9-D34C-4F06-92D2-F2403AA7AA68%7D/origpict/d3.png

getting ready to return to my office, I happened to pause in the front hall where a beam of sunlight was coming through the window. Yowza! That was the look I wanted! Beautiful pattern all around! My lovely wife provided her able assistance as I took a final two pictures to show the pen in more direct sunlight.

http://www.fototime.com/%7B72536ED8-B3C0-43CD-9690-276D128D48EB%7D/origpict/a1.png

http://www.fototime.com/%7BAA6BB202-01A2-4690-B0BE-B803EA0CFA37%7D/origpict/a2.png

So where, dear reader, does that leave us? I don’t know about you, but I’m still on “it depends”. I love the color and love the depth of the swirling pattern, but don’t care much for the dark areas which appear rather plain. Of course, that is what you see when you look at the ocean, isn’t it? So maybe they named it just right.

I certainly see more good than bad in the pen, but it is a little less outstanding than I had hoped. It will be interesting to see how my feelings change over time. I think I will invest in a bright desk lamp. Your mileage of course may (and no doubt will) vary.

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• whichwatch

• Driften

• Mew

• Freedom

I think it looks great from your pictures. It does seem like material does not allow any way to see the ink level with a light behind it.

I think you got a great pen I hope you enjoy it for years to come.

Thank you for posting these excellent pictures, they capture the variation well.

I regard this pen as mysterious and ever-changing, just like the ocean. At it's best it's truly stunning, and even in its 'quieter' moments I still think it offers a lot. I hope your feelings towards it do move in a positive direction over time and you come to enjoy it fully. Best wishes!

I chose my user name years ago - I have no links to BBS pens (other than owning one!)

Hi, beautiful pen. Is it translucent in certain sections... Like the Omas Arco material where there is depth. It's hard to tell from the images.

Hi, beautiful pen. Is it translucent in certain sections... Like the Omas Arco material where there is depth. It's hard to tell from the images.

To me, the cap is very slightly translucent, the barrel less so. I can only see anything through it if I hold it directly in line with the sun or a very bright light source.

I do not think it is translucent enough for any real use such as seeing ink level.

This reminds me of some recent Aurora edition which was on the dark side. I like it, but not enough to buy it.

I really like the wood floors you have!

Derek

"If you can spend a perfectly useless afternoon in a perfectly useless manner, you have learned how to live."

– Lin Yu-T'ang

It makes me want one! I really like the contrast between dark and light and it suits the black piston knob and grip. The vibrant blue looked great as well, but was too bright for the black ends. How is the nib?

"Giving power and money to politicians is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys."

P.J. O'Rourke

Thank you for posting these excellent pictures, they capture the variation well.

I regard this pen as mysterious and ever-changing, just like the ocean. At it's best it's truly stunning, and even in its 'quieter' moments I still think it offers a lot. I hope your feelings towards it do move in a positive direction over time and you come to enjoy it fully. Best wishes!

Love how you have described it here. Perfectly captures how I feel about it. It is gorgeous, but at the end of the day it is an M8xx pen. To big for me, to say nothing of what it would do to the budget. This would be great in a smaller pen.

Brad

"Words are, of course, the most powerful drug used by mankind" - Rudyard Kipling
"None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain-pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try." - Mark Twain

Thanks! Fritz Schimpf and Cult Pens (of those I've checked) are selling at very good prices - and as it would be going across the pond you take a further 20% off as you don't pay our VAT! Of course, you may get hit for import duties, and I realise it is still a lot of money.

But in an M8XX you'd get more of that lovely material ...

Edited by bbs

I chose my user name years ago - I have no links to BBS pens (other than owning one!)

How is the nib?

I bought mine from Dan Smith ("The Nibsmith") who provides a free nib tuning or grind with pens purchased from him. I got my favorite nib on this one - an Architect Point. I really like the way it writes, and how it makes my handwriting look. I have three done by John Mottishaw and two done by Dan.

Here is the Vibrant Blue on left and the Ocean Swirl on right

http://www.fototime.com/%7B9E3B3F93-B7AA-4A74-81E2-3BEB9745A50D%7D/origpict/Ps.png

THAT's the picture I've been waiting to see! Thank you so much!

"Inspiration exists, but it has to find you working." -Pablo Picasso

Great pics! I can't wait to see this in person. Mine is inbound from Germany along with the M200 Brown Marbled. I love all the real world pics that I've seen of this one. Looks like a winner for sure.

PELIKAN - Too many birds in the flock to count. My pen chest has proven to be a most fertile breeding ground.

fpn_1508261203__fpn_logo_300x150.jpg

THE PELIKAN'S PERCH - A growing reference site for all things Pelikan

Here is the Vibrant Blue on left and the Ocean Swirl on right

http://www.fototime.com/%7B9E3B3F93-B7AA-4A74-81E2-3BEB9745A50D%7D/origpict/Ps.png

Excellent pictures! Thanks for sharing them both.

From the promo shots I have found and pictures from retailers made it look a bit too green for my taste. After seeing your pictures, I find myself liking it quite a bit more. I'm still going for the M800 Renaissance Brown tho.

Mike L.