Ok Fools Paper

fugel

Hi again guys,

It seems that Takeda Jimuki (Tag stationery, Kyoto) is selling paper pads of Tomoe River and of a paper called OK Fools.

Has someone tried this paper already? If so, how is it compared with white 52grs Tomoe River?.

Edited by ubezahn

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• fugel

• ink-syringe

• Chrissy

• inkypete

I don't now this paper as well, I detected it checking tag stationery website. Now I see there are several calendars sold in Nagasawa Kobe and Kyotobunguya shops made of this paper too. Tsubame has made a Premium 2018 Diary Note notebook with this paper and I guess is not the same paper of their regular notebooks:

mds-47-403-1.jpg

Regular Tsubame Fools University notebooks are already pretty boss.

Edited by ink-syringe

Looking for a cap for a Sheaffer Touchdown Sentinel Deluxe Fat version

I've usually seen the Tsubame variety translated as "Fool's Cap." In any case it is great paper with a good reputation and its been around for awhile. I wouldn't let the name get in the way. I love Tsubame's notebooks. Among the best Japanese notebooks out there.

I've usually seen the Tsubame variety translated as "Fool's Cap." In any case it is great paper with a good reputation and its been around for awhile. I wouldn't let the name get in the way. I love Tsubame's notebooks. Among the best Japanese notebooks out there.

Once you factor in price they probably are the best notebooks ever. You have to spend a TON more to get a notebook that is only marginally better. I get the 50 page B5s here for less than $5 a piece. That is killer for super quality Japanese paper that is hella fountain pen ready. Do I like the MD and L!fe more, a little but they are dramatically more expensive. I have probably filled a dozen of these notebooks in the last 5 years. My only knock is that the paper seems very sensitive to hand oils.

I am not sure if it is the same paper. At the bottom of the cover of that Premium Diary Note 2018 made by Tsubame is written 'OK Fools', which is not on their regular notebooks. Among this, this paper seems to be watermarked:

okfools02.jpg

Edited by ubezahn

I get the 50 page B5s here for less than $5 a piece. That is killer for super quality Japanese paper that is hella fountain pen ready.

Hi ink-syringe...

I have spent hours researching notebooks on the jetpens.com website.

I finally found on their website photos of the front and back of notebook pages to see how much show through there is for different notebook papers. The Tsubame Fools University notebooks have the least show through I have found.

A BIG plus is the Tsubame notebooks are thread-bound, which means they will lay flat, when opened.

The Tsubame A5 and B5 notebooks on the jetpens website contain 30 sheets = 60 pages.

If my trial Tsubame notebook purchase works as well as I expect, these notebooks will become my "go to" notebooks.

Clifton

I would sack the marketing guy who recommended the name. :lticaptd:

Words mean different things in different countries/cultures.

That is one of the problems of global trade.

San Francisco Pen Show - August 28-30, 2020 - Redwood City, California

www.SFPenShow.com

I would sack the marketing guy who recommended the name. :lticaptd:

"foolscap" looks to be a term from England/Europe, originally referring to paper of a certain size, and apparently the watermark used on it.

Though not common in conversation, it's not as uncommon as Chaucer's old English.

gary

The Tsubame Fools University notebooks have the least show through I have found.

Yes. One of the few papers I happily use both sides of. Very very good for not taking. No wonder they are "university" books. I have filled dozens of them.

A BIG plus is the Tsubame notebooks are thread-bound, which means they will lay flat, when opened.

The Tsubame A5 and B5 notebooks on the jetpens website contain 30 sheets = 60 pages.

If my trial Tsubame notebook purchase works as well as I expect, these notebooks will become my "go to" notebooks.

Clifton

They have been my go to for many years. They lay flat and come in great sizes. As I said my only beef with them is that they seem unusually sensitive to hand oils otherwise they are pretty much perfect. Take any and all ink I throw at them. Sopping BB nibs and all.

Note that I get them here locally. I don't know what they cost in the US (I have bought them there once or twice in nyc).

I'll also add that I did actually get one bad one. Not sure what happened but it was only one a blank book that seemed to have left the factory having skipped a process as it bled like crazy. The next one I bought was perfectly fine so one bad one in, what, 20, 25 books is still pretty great.

Hope it works out for you.