Ink Recommendation

cat

Hmm, Sailor Miruai looks similar to Diamine Dark Forest but a little nicer to me. :unsure:

Will inks with shiny particles like Diamine Brandy Dazzle damage a fountain pen?

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• cat

• ParkerDuofold

• displacermoose

• chromantic

Hmm, Sailor Miruai looks similar to Diamine Dark Forest but a little nicer to me. :unsure:

Will inks with shiny particles like Diamine Brandy Dazzle damage a fountain pen?

There have been arguments back and forth on that topic. AFAIK, the only real damage is that the particles could clog your feed. I like some of the inks in that category, but their use gets limited to specific pens -- a cheap $5 Chinese pen with a fude nib, and a 1980s era Pelikan M100 with a 1 mm stub, which is easy to clean.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

Be sure to get a sample of Diamine Regency Blue. This might be what you are looking for. I agree that the 1864 Blue-Black is probably too dark, although it's a very nice ink.

Rationalizing pen and ink purchases since 1967.

Serenity Blue can get quite dry in my experience and dry out even further in the bottle. It is not all flowy for me until I added just 1-2 small drops of Kodak Photoflo 200. Now I have no more complaints with inks.

Are you adding 1-2 drops per bottle, or 1-2 drops per fill? I haven't noticed any problems with dryness from Serenity Blue.

Are you adding 1-2 drops per bottle, or 1-2 drops per fill? I haven't noticed any problems with dryness from Serenity Blue.

Hi JMC,

It's 1-2 drops per BOTTLE; Kodak FotoFlo 200 is heavily concentrated... one bottle will last several lifetimes. :)

What I'm trying to figure out is how enhance lubrication, too. Sometimes enhanced flow is enough; sometimes it isn't. :unsure:

- Anthony

Have you tried glycerin to enhance lubrication?

I ended up adding these items to break the shipping threshold and will post images of how all the inks look once they arrive. I have to admit, I'm a little scared. :unsure:

Diamine Midnight

Diamine Dark Forest

Diamine Majestic Blue

Herbin Bouquet

Bulb Syringe

Claire Triomphe Lined

I added 1-2drops into the bottle.

But I have also been experimental and tried 1-2drops per fill.

I found 1-2drops per fill an overkill in some pens and resulted in immediate absorption and feathering and bleedthrough, the ink spreaded too fast and produced a very fat line.

However, my Platinum Preppy 05 didn't seem to mind 1-2drops per cartridge of Diamine Wild Strawberry and Bilberry and Peach Haze.

A little goes a long way with Kodak Photoflo :)

I also added 1-2drops to 30ml bottles of Diamine Monaco Red, Sepia, Autumn Oak, Grey, Damson, Classic Green, Umber, Amazing Amethyst, all with excellent results. Finally, ink flows. But also be prepared for less shading and more saturated colours.

How much is 1 drop in my context? I extracted Kodak Photoflo with a syringe through a needle, and carefully pushed the plunger till 1drop of liquid forms at the tip of the needle and drops into the ink bottle. It is a very minute amount. I guess this amount is smaller than a glass dropper or an aromatherapy bottle dropper.

Edited by minddance