• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• cat

• ParkerDuofold

• displacermoose

• chromantic

Hi Cat,

Color-wise, I'd be tempted to give it to Diamine Midnight. However, if you also want to match the sheen of that suit, go with Private Reserve Electric D.C. Blue. :)

Try samples of any recommendations first. ;)

Be well and enjoy life. :)

- Anthony

We have a very good Ink Review section....pay strict attention to our ink guru, Sandy1....she shows with 4-5 regular widths of pens on 4-5 papers how different an ink can be.

Do look to get a package or small box of good to better paper for every three inks you buy.

Writing is 1/3 nib width&flex, 1/3 paper and 1/3 ink and in that order.

You need some tow toned shading inks....if you have wider than EF, some vivid monotone supersaturated inks....and some that have sheen....which is rather new with in the last two or three years.

We are living in The Golden Age of Inks...............the golden age of pens died in @ 1970....the golden age of paper a decade later.

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

Do you own the suit and want a matching ink to (accidentally) spill on the breast pocket?

"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination."

Oscar Wilde

Color-wise, I'd be tempted to give it to Diamine Midnight. However, if you also want to match the sheen of that suit, go with Private Reserve Electric D.C. Blue. :)

Diamine Oxford blue, perhaps?

Thanks guys. I was researching these, but it's frustrating because there is so much variation in colors presented because of different pen or paper. :wacko: It's all very confusing.

But during this adventure I came across this ink:

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/74892-private-reserve-ebony-purple/

I like the professional/formal look of the darker color. Regarding the long drying time, if I tend to graze my hand over lines I've just written, does that mean I would have to wait a half minute or more before I could write the next line?

Also is there anything similar to that ebony purple except in blue instead of purple?

Thanks.

...Also is there anything similar to that ebony purple except in blue instead of purple?

Thanks.

Hi Cat,

Yes. Private Reserve does make an Ebony Blue as well... I've never used it myself, but it does draw a lot of favorable comments. :thumbup:

- Anthony

Unfortunately, the ebony blue doesn't resemble the ebony purple at all...

This may be impossible, but maybe people here are up to the challenge. Does anyone know what ink this is (or something like it):

https://imgur.com/a/55xfp

Edited by cat

The suit kind of looks like the dark blue in the Pilot Varsity disposable.

It's hard work to tell which is Old Harry when everybody's got boots on.

Unfortunately, the ebony blue doesn't resemble the ebony purple at all...

Hhhmmmmm. I guess I misinterpreted what you were after when you wished for a blue version of ebony purple. :unsure:

- Anthony

What about Diamine Sargasso Sea?

A nice deep blue with red sheen.

One of my favourite inks.

It would certainly go well with the suit. :D

Ian

Pelikan Königsblau comes to mind, if nicely saturated.

"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt."

B. Russell

My first inclination was to recommend Edelstein Tanzanite, which is one of my favorite inks at the moment, being a blue-black that *doesn't* lean teal the way so many do.... But the second photo looked more blue than blue-black. So I would say maybe Akkerman Shocking Blue (much as I love Diamine Oxford Blue, I think it leans a little more teal than is wanted here; but both have amazing sheen).

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

Thank you all for your inputs. So far, these are the two I've narrowed down to:

Sailor Shigure

https://imgur.com/a/sByQf

PR Ebony Purple

https://imgur.com/a/olK8P

I'm shocked I've spent hours searching inks and it is getting addictive. It's exciting buying my first ever ink (I have a nice pen that I've never used before), but I worry it doesn't turn out like the pictures I've seen because there is so much variance in how the ink can look.

If my nib is broad and by Montegrappa, can I expect it to look like those pictures and what paper do I need to use?

If you know any other similar inks that have a lot of shading and saturation with a darker tone, please let me know!

Thanks guys. I was researching these, but it's frustrating because there is so much variation in colors presented because of different pen or paper. :wacko: It's all very confusing.

But during this adventure I came across this ink:

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/74892-private-reserve-ebony-purple/

I like the professional/formal look of the darker color. Regarding the long drying time, if I tend to graze my hand over lines I've just written, does that mean I would have to wait a half minute or more before I could write the next line?

Also is there anything similar to that ebony purple except in blue instead of purple?

Thanks.

It might. Depending on other factors such as line (nib) width, paper etc. A more absorbent paper would dry more quickly at the expense of possible feathering.

Edited by Runnin_Ute

Brad

"Words are, of course, the most powerful drug used by mankind" - Rudyard Kipling
"None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain-pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try." - Mark Twain

Thank you all for your inputs. So far, these are the two I've narrowed down to:

Sailor Shigure

https://imgur.com/a/sByQf

PR Ebony Purple

https://imgur.com/a/olK8P

I'm shocked I've spent hours searching inks and it is getting addictive. It's exciting buying my first ever ink (I have a nice pen that I've never used before), but I worry it doesn't turn out like the pictures I've seen because there is so much variance in how the ink can look.

If my nib is broad and by Montegrappa, can I expect it to look like those pictures and what paper do I need to use?

If you know any other similar inks that have a lot of shading and saturation with a darker tone, please let me know!

I haven't used Ebony Purple, but you can't go wrong with Shigure. It looks and behaves with perfect elegance. Sailor puts out several excellent dark inks. Oku-Yama and Yama-Dori are also superb. Lots of people love Murai as well, although I haven't tried it myself.

And yes, inks are addicting.

Edit: Samples are your friend. I like to get mine from Anderson or Vanness because the samples are bigger than the ones from Goulet. Wherever you buy them, they are a great way to try different colors without the expense (and potential waste) of an entire bottle.

Edited by displacermoose

Yet another Sarah.

In that pic I linked, Shigure was very distinctly dark blue, but at stores it is advertised as purple and in other pics I've seen, it looks like a completely different purple. Something seems fishy. :wacko:

Edited by cat

In that pic I linked, Shigure was very distinctly dark blue, but at stores it is advertised as purple and in other pics I've seen, it looks like a completely different purple. Something seems fishy. :wacko:

It is a complex color. If you put it next to something blue it looks purple, but if you put it next to a purple it looks blue. It also shifts a lot with casts of light. On it's own it is frequently hard to decide what color it is, especially if you have it in a wet pen. That image is fairly close to my experience of it in a very wet pen. In a dryer pen it is much more purple, but still understated. I have no hesitation using it for business purposes because it never screams PURPLE. Lots of inks are like that. You really can't tell what they will look like until you use them in your particular set of circumstances.

Yet another Sarah.