The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

Keeping Uninked Mbs In Your Collection

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 888007888

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 612 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 26 November 2017 - 17:46

I have drastically pared down my MBs this year, however, I still have pens in my collection that I don't want to sell off because I like them so much .. yet they don't make it into my daily usage rotation. Thus, a great many sit in my display cases only to be visually admired. I like my pens. Am I the only one here with pens I should probably get rid of but can't seem to do so?

Sponsored Content

#2 siamackz

siamackz

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 719 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 26 November 2017 - 17:50

I keep feeling guilty about the same. I literally inked up like 15 Pens yesterday and started carrying two a day so that I get more in the rotation. I wonder if some pens are worth just collecting and some are for writing.

#3 meiers

meiers

Museum Piece

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,648 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 26 November 2017 - 18:27

Pens I don't use are either sold or given away.

#4 zaddick

zaddick

BROAD Side Ambassador

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,930 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 26 November 2017 - 18:38

I have more pens than will be in a reasonable rotation. Some I end up selling and some I just admire from time to time. I have a lot of pens I cannot replace so I am not eager to let tem go until I am sure I will not miss them. Pens I can replace are much easier to sell off.

#5 CS388

CS388

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,154 posts

Posted 26 November 2017 - 18:45

I have a 142 and a 147 that rarely see ink. All the rest of the Meisterstucks are in pretty constant use.

I did sell them once, but ended up buying replacements. I'm sure there'll be a specific use for them one day.

Until then, they sit, dry in the box.

Enjoy.

#6 dubhe

dubhe

Away at Sea

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 553 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 26 November 2017 - 20:05

I buy and sell a few, but generally have around 10 MBs (and a similar number of other brands). Some I use daily (149), some I rotate (Schiller) and some I just love to look at (Wilde). Ive also recently sold a few special pens. My current method is to write a list of use/rotate/keep/sell and if it lasts a month or so without leaving the sell list then off it goes to fund something new.

#7 Kalessin

Kalessin

Antique

• FPN Super Moderators

• 1,967 posts

Posted 26 November 2017 - 23:30

I have a few sentimental MB's that sit empty.  One belonged to my late grandmother, a 22 with a lovely OB nib, but I would be devastated if it were lost or stolen.  My sister has the PFM she used to write letters to us for many years.  The other is a 234 1/2 with a flex nib and a cracked barrel, from either her ex-husband or her later boyfriend, both engineers from Germany (one aeronautical, one mechanical).

I really need to get the 234 1/2 fixed one of these days...

-- Joel -- "I collect expensive and time-consuming hobbies."

INK (noun): A villainous compound of tannogallate of iron, gum-arabic and water,
chiefly used to facilitate the infection of idiocy and promote intellectual crime.
(from The Devil's Dictionary, by Ambrose Bierce)

#8 PAKMAN

PAKMAN

Say that again, I have a pen here somewhere...

• FPN Super Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,533 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 27 November 2017 - 15:16

I have no guilt in having pens that don't get used often or at all. I enjoy them never the less.

PAKMAN

minibanner.gif             fpn_1321906507__vanness_sign.jpg 

My Favorite Pen Restorer                            My favorite Brick and Mortar              

now selling online!

#9 Chrissy

Chrissy

Ancient Artifact

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,553 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 27 November 2017 - 15:19

I had a few new Montblanc WE or SE pens that were never inked. I couldn't bear to keep them unlinked and sold them all. Now all of my Montblanc pens have been inked, although some of them aren't used in my daily rotation.  :)

flying-letter-exc.png

#10 Pravda

Pravda

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 2,173 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 27 November 2017 - 17:29

I have 20 or so inked that I try to use almost daily.

Unfortunately, I have several more (and nicer) that are sitting in their respective boxes in another country for safekeeping..!!

#11 penparadise

penparadise

- - - - - - - - - - - -

• Member - Gold

• 1,500 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 27 November 2017 - 18:20

I have no guilt in having pens that don't get used often or at all. I enjoy them never the less.

+1

Most of my vintage pens and most of my limited edition pens are and stay uninked.  But some I do ink and use them for some days, but I unink and clean them up when I choose another pen. This thread brings me to ink my Black Widow again. ;)

Edited by penparadise, 27 November 2017 - 18:21.

Axel

Montblanc collector since 1968
collecting Montblanc safeties, eyedroppers, lever fillers, button fillers, compressors - all from 1908 - 1929,
Montblanc ephemera and paraphernalia from 1908 to 1929,
Montblanc Meisterstück from 1924 up to the 50s,
Montblanc special and limited editions from 1991 to 2006

#12 pajaro

pajaro

Amblin along like I had good sense.

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,652 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 27 November 2017 - 18:44

Exactly.  Some are sentimental objects.  Having them around means a lot more to me than money.

Some of the posters here have some hard and fast rules of engagement.  Some are more flexible.  A chacun son gout.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

They took the blue from the skies and the pretty girls' eyes and a touch of Old Glory too . . .

#13 jamesgibby

jamesgibby

Vintage

• FPN Super Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 530 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 04 December 2017 - 21:57

I have a majority uninked. My Hemingway, and special edition 149’s especially. Most others are inked at least once.used, cleaned and put back in the display case to be used again..

For ,e collecting is something I phase in and out of. Recently I have been more out than in due to work pressures but 2018 will see me back on the forums

Montblanc Copernicus 4810, J.P Morgan 4810
Montblanc Writers Edition:  Hemingway,  Proust, Dickens,  Mann,  Twain,  Swift
Montblanc 149 1986, 75th 1924 LE, 90th Anniversary  
Montblanc 146 Solitaire: Hematite, Gold & Black, Silver Fibre Guilloche
Montblanc Boheme Medium size non-retractable BB nib
Montblanc Starwalker FP & RB

Want to Buy MB 139 , 138  136  134  132  234 1/2L & 149 Silver Rings

#14 niksch

niksch

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• 4,402 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 04 December 2017 - 23:38

Me too.

Hard times don't last, but hard people do.

Thank a Veteran.

#15 rennfahrer

rennfahrer

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 74 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 05 December 2017 - 04:27

I can't use them all (maybe about 10-12 vintage MBs) but I do try to fill them up with water to keep the corks in decent shape.

#16 gerigo

gerigo

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 655 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 05 December 2017 - 15:56

I have about 30 MBs so it would be almost impossible for me to use all of them. Also my interest have changed in the time I have acquired the pens, which reflects the nib sizes that all of them have. I am happy to say because of my changing interests,  I now have a wide variety of nib sizes ranging from EF all the way to 3B, and a couple custom nibs even. But it also means because currently I am learning Chinese calligraphy, many of the very broad nibs aren't as useful. The ONLY pen that has remained sealed is the recent Martele. I just can't get myself to tear open the pouch. One day I would...

Edited by gerigo, 05 December 2017 - 16:00.

#17 zaddick

zaddick

BROAD Side Ambassador

• Member - Gold

• 3,930 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 05 December 2017 - 17:47

I have about 30 MBs so it would be almost impossible for me to use all of them. Also my interest have changed in the time I have acquired the pens, which reflects the nib sizes that all of them have. I am happy to say because of my changing interests,  I now have a wide variety of nib sizes ranging from EF all the way to 3B, and a couple custom nibs even. But it also means because currently I am learning Chinese calligraphy, many of the very broad nibs aren't as useful. The ONLY pen that has remained sealed is the recent Martele. I just can't get myself to tear open the pouch. One day I would...

I offer shelter and care for wayward MB pens with wide nibs. Just keep that in mind... ;)

#18 gerigo

gerigo

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 655 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 06 December 2017 - 15:47

Haha, I am sure you'd like the 149 with the calligraphy nib. It is the pride of my collection!

I offer shelter and care for wayward MB pens with wide nibs. Just keep that in mind... ;)

#19 BrandonA

BrandonA

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• 3,826 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 06 December 2017 - 16:24

I'm happy to collection and own.  I don't have a need to use them all.

The newest pen in my collection which I've inked is the Collodi.  I've not inked my Hemingway or my Poe either.

Out of the ones which have been used, some having been for many years and possibly won't get inked for many years to come.

It even took me over a year to ink a Starwalker as I was happily using my 147 at work.  I only switched after I damaged the nib on the 147.  Since getting the 147 repaired I've not bothered testing it.

I'm happy to have two limited editions inked for home use and one regular edition pen inked for work.

My Collection: Montblanc Writers Edition: Hemingway, Christie, Wilde, Voltaire, Dumas, Dostoevsky, Poe, Proust, Schiller, Dickens, Fitzgerald (set), Verne, Kafka, Cervantes, Woolf, Faulkner, Shaw, Mann, Twain, Collodi, Swift, Balzac, Defoe, Tolstoy, Shakespeare & Saint-Exupery. Montblanc Einstein (3,000) FP. Montblanc Heritage 1912 Resin FP. Montblanc Starwalker Resin: FP/BP/MP. Montblanc Traveller FP.

#20 zaddick

zaddick

BROAD Side Ambassador

• Member - Gold

• 3,930 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 06 December 2017 - 19:24

Haha, I am sure you'd like the 149 with the calligraphy nib. It is the pride of my collection!

Why yes, YES I would. I have seen it and admired it. I will officially call first place in line for any sale offerings of that pen. I hope you never are in a position where you have to sell it, but if you want to sell it please look me up. I am already a sucker for 149s and the wider the better!

Edited by zaddick, 06 December 2017 - 19:25.

Sponsored Content

|