The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

Best Inks For C/f? (Looking For Noncorrosive)

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Shannon

Shannon

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 420 posts

Posted 26 November 2017 - 16:39

These dang C/F pens are just so gorgeous!  But I'm scared to death to use them for fear that the ink will cause the corrosion around the nib that is so prevalent.  Are there any inks that might be less destructive?

Thanks.

Ink samples to trade:  Levenger (Smokey, Blue Bahama, Always Greener, Skies of Blue, Fireball, Pinkly, Gemstone Green, Cobalt Blue, Raven Black, Cardinal Red, Cocoa, Amethyst); J. Herbin (Lie de The, Emerald de Chivor, Storm Grey, Rouge Hematite); Diamine (Purple Pazzazz, Bilberry, Ancient Copper, Blue Black, Indigo, and Damson); Sailor (Tokiwa-matsu, Souten); and Chesterfield (Antique Yankee, Night Sapphire, Antique Raven, Antique Walnut, Archival Black, Antique Jade)

Looking for: surprise me!

Sponsored Content

#2 Force

Force

Fergus 1998-2015

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,578 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 26 November 2017 - 17:15

Waterman.

#3 Shannon

Shannon

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 420 posts

Posted 26 November 2017 - 20:27

LOL!  That should have been my first go-to answer.  Thanks!

Ink samples to trade:  Levenger (Smokey, Blue Bahama, Always Greener, Skies of Blue, Fireball, Pinkly, Gemstone Green, Cobalt Blue, Raven Black, Cardinal Red, Cocoa, Amethyst); J. Herbin (Lie de The, Emerald de Chivor, Storm Grey, Rouge Hematite); Diamine (Purple Pazzazz, Bilberry, Ancient Copper, Blue Black, Indigo, and Damson); Sailor (Tokiwa-matsu, Souten); and Chesterfield (Antique Yankee, Night Sapphire, Antique Raven, Antique Walnut, Archival Black, Antique Jade)

#4 eaudom

eaudom

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 73 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 07 December 2017 - 01:40

fwiw, some of the cf’s have 9kt gold inlay, rather than gold fill...if you can find one of them corrosion won’t be a problem...

#5 Shannon

Shannon

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 420 posts

Posted 10 December 2017 - 18:48

fwiw, some of the cf’s have 9kt gold inlay, rather than gold fill...if you can find one of them corrosion won’t be a problem...

Great info!  Thanks.  

How can I tell the difference?

#6 eaudom

eaudom

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 73 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 10 December 2017 - 23:09

The inlay would be marked 9kt...I have two marked on the left side near the end away from the nib.

#7 EMQG

EMQG

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 228 posts

Posted 10 December 2017 - 23:32

Waterman or Callifolio inks are about as gentle as you get.

#8 Tweel

Tweel

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,698 posts

Posted 11 December 2017 - 02:19

Waterman or Callifolio inks are about as gentle as you get.

I don't know... at least three of Waterman's inks, purple, blue and blue-black, are very acidic.

fpn_1375035941__postcard_swap.png * * * "Don't neglect to write me several times from different places when you may."
-- John Purdue (1863)

#9 EMQG

EMQG

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 228 posts

Posted 11 December 2017 - 03:43

I don't know... at least three of Waterman's inks, purple, blue and blue-black, are very acidic.

Wait, what? Where are you getting that information?

#10 Tweel

Tweel

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,698 posts

Posted 12 December 2017 - 22:22

People's ink pH tests that are posted online, here on FPN and elsewhere.

E.g.:

http://www.indy-pen-...an-60-Inks.html

"Waterman Tender Purple: 2.69"

http://www.marcuslin...d-ph-levels.htm

"2.7 for... Waterman Purple"

"3.0 for... Waterman Blue-Black, Waterman Blue"

And so on.  The measurements vary a little (not surprisingly), but for those three inks they're down there within sight of undiluted white vinegar (2.4).

Edited by Tweel, 12 December 2017 - 23:12.

fpn_1375035941__postcard_swap.png * * * "Don't neglect to write me several times from different places when you may."
-- John Purdue (1863)

Sponsored Content

|