Montblanc Toffee Brown Ink Review

sannidh

Montblanc Toffee Brown (Ident No: U0105188) is one of my favourite dark inks. It was added as part of the MB ink collection in 2010, when Montblanc launched eight colours (Burgundy Red, Irish Green, Lavender Purple, Midnight Blue, Mystery Black, Royal Blue, Oyster Grey & Toffee Brown) in newer bottles, from a new supplier. The bottle was also redesigned with an adorable new look and volume was increased to 60 ml. A relatively expensive ink bottle that with a heavy plastic cap, the bottle is well packaged with foam strips, in a coffee coloured cardboard box. The shoe shape involves a smaller reservoir to the front to help get a minimal level of when the ink runs low in the bottle.

The review is also live in the below link incase you prefer a blog view:

MBTB Review

DSC00042.jpg

Indoor Lighting

DSC00043%2Bcopy.jpg

Outdoor Sunshine

DSC00048%2Bcopy.jpg

Writing

Well behaved ink without noticeable feathering on decent paper. It does feather and spread on cheap papers.
  • Feathering: :mellow: None on Muji (Good Paper only)
  • Ghosting: :) Not noticeable
  • Color Variation: :wub: Vibrant from deep brown to black
  • Sheen: Towards Black
  • Wetness: :)

DSC00049.jpg

• Saturation : :)
  • Water Resistance: :crybaby:
  • Ease of Cleaning: :)
  • Shading: :thumbup:
  • Flow: :)
  • Lubrication: :)
  • Drying Time: :mellow: 40 seconds
  • Price: :wallbash: (Around US$ 18-24)

DSC00050%2Bcopy.jpg

Digital Colour Meter

DSC00049a.jpg

DSC00049b.jpg

Nibs

DSC00053%2Bcopy.jpg

Indoors

DSC00055%2Bcopy.jpg

Main Supplies
  • MB 146 Fine nib
  • Muji B6 PP Cover Notebook, Dotted Paper
Edited by sannidh

You have come to earth to entertain and to be entertained - P.Y

Some Pen & Paraphernalia Reviews

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• sannidh

• Bo Bo Olson

• NicolausPiscator

• liston

What a wonderful review of a beautiful ink, thank you!! I just love this brown!

If there is righteousness in the heart, There will be beauty in character. If there is beauty in character, There will be harmony in the home. When there is harmony in the home, There will be order in the nation. When there is order in the nation, There will be peace in the world. Bhagawan Shri Satya Sai Baba

This is too red a brown for me. I had tried it because a lot of people here said it was their "go to" brown, but I didn't end up liking the color (hey, there are inks that other people can't stand but which I would never want to be without... B)). But thanks for the review.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

This is too red a brown for me. I had tried it because a lot of people here said it was their "go to" brown, but I didn't end up liking the color (hey, there are inks that other people can't stand but which I would never want to be without... B)). But thanks for the review.

Every word :)

I gave mine away.

Great review, I swap between this and the lighter J. Herbin Cafe des Iles.

Liston

Thank you liston :)

Thanks for the review.

As Liston I also would to suggest a J. Herbin ink, but Lie de The

it is all a matter of taste :-)

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/329749-j-herbin-lie-de-the-compact-review/?p=3952689

Thank you :)

I do like a deep brown shade, having said that the lighter J.Herbin looks nice too

A great brown ink. Thanks for the review.

Thank you white lotus :)

What a wonderful review of a beautiful ink, thank you!! I just love this brown!

Thank you Bhavna :)

Great review! Especially your provision of the smilies!!

Thanks lapis :)

Since the world is moving into emoticons, it's fun 'emoting' rather than writing

Every word :)

I gave mine away.

Completely agree with your point. I do prefer this shade, and the reddish brown for me would be like sailor red grenade/okuyama.

You see how our eyes are calibrated as per our likes & dislikes :)

Thanks Ruth & Tas for sharing your experience, it does help others to decide on the shades they want

What a beautiful color! A very rich brown, and your photos make it look stunning. :thumbup:

But ... I'm with Ruth and Taz on this - a little too warm for me. I prefer cooler browns like Macassar and Yama-guri.

It's hard work to tell which is Old Harry when everybody's got boots on.

Most of my shading inks will work well with a regular flex F nib, the ink will not be so dark as a wider nib. 90g or better laser paper.

Ie. MB Toffee:

F was light with dark trails.

M was 50-50. :yikes: Breaking the M prejudice I picked up on this com. :headsmack:

B was dark with light trails.

I bought MB Sepia just before it was discontinued and as ink noobie 'thought ' it brown. It is a old photograph color Sepia not the black gray cuttlefish Sepia. So I thought Toffee to be brown, like Lie de'Thee`.

I have Noodler's Golden Brown....shades well but takes twenty minutes to dry. DA Mississippi Brown....is brown...(to me boring) ....but too saturated to shade.

C d'A Grand Canyon is a nice brown ink. Smoky Quartz is not quite a brown ink....not quite not.

Pelikan 4001 Brilliant Brown is a brown that is rather red............MB Collidi is so red I can't understand why anyone would think it a brown.

Oh My...it has Sheen!!!!!!!!

I'd bought it before sheen was first noticed in any ink.

Edited by Bo Bo Olson

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

What a beautiful color! A very rich brown, and your photos make it look stunning. :thumbup:

But ... I'm with Ruth and Taz on this - a little too warm for me. I prefer cooler browns like Macassar and Yama-guri.

Thank you chromantic :D

Completely agree on the preference bit of it. Many of my friends also delve towards a cooler brown.

Most of my shading inks will work well with a regular flex F nib, the ink will not be so dark as a wider nib. 90g or better laser paper.

Ie. MB Toffee:

F was light with dark trails.

M was 50-50. :yikes: Breaking the M prejudice I picked up on this com. :headsmack:

B was dark with light trails.

I bought MB Sepia just before it was discontinued and as ink noobie 'thought ' it brown. It is a old photograph color Sepia not the black gray cuttlefish Sepia. So I thought Toffee to be brown, like Lie de'Thee`.

I have Noodler's Golden Brown....shades well but takes twenty minutes to dry. DA Mississippi Brown....is brown...(to me boring) ....but too saturated to shade.

C d'A Grand Canyon is a nice brown ink. Smoky Quartz is not quite a brown ink....not quite not.

Pelikan 4001 Brilliant Brown is a brown that is rather red............MB Collidi is so red I can't understand why anyone would think it a brown.

Oh My...it has Sheen!!!!!!!!

I'd bought it before sheen was first noticed in any ink.

Thanks you for the entertaining & insightful comment :D

• 1 month later...

Beautiful color and shading! Shame it has no water resistance (since many other brown inks do).

“I admit it, I'm surprised that fountain pens are a hobby. ... it's a bit like stumbling into a fork convention - when you've used a fork all your life.” 

If I'm going to spill stuff on my desk....water resistance is necessary....but with decades of hard strenuous training, seldom spill stuff on my desk any more....knock on my wooden head.

There are plastic folders if one don't have a water proof briefcase.

We don't do checks here in the EU, we use bank transfers which are as cheap as checks here, so I don't need Noodlers Warden inks..........

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

Jup! Wonderful and delightful brown, one of my favourites! Thank you for your review. ... MB Sepia! This sounds pretty cool!

Before I tried Montblanc Toffee Brown I would've rolled my eyes at the thought that any brown could become a staple in my ink collection. But it most certainly has.

I love the smell of fountain pen ink in the morning.

I am not a huge brown ink fan, but this is one of the two brown inks that I own. I love the richness and depth of color. Great review! Thank you for sharing it.

"Today will be gone in less than 24 hours. When it is gone, it is gone. Be wise, but enjoy! - anonymous today