The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

Tidbit: The Best Lamy Safari Pen Grip

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 max dog

max dog

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,917 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 26 November 2017 - 10:27

How do you grip your Lamy Safari?  What do you think of this "best pen hold" for the Safari?

I've been gripping the Safari with both the index finger and thumb at the bottom where the section flairs out, but this suggestion feels quite comfortable too with the thumb higher up.  

Edited by max dog, 26 November 2017 - 10:28.

Sponsored Content

#2 Pickwick

Pickwick

Pickwick

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,885 posts

Posted 26 November 2017 - 12:10

The video shows the timeless classic position of the fingers and thumb for controlling any pen.

They came as a boon, and a blessing to men,
The Pickwick, the Owl and the Waverley pen

Sincerely yours,

Pickwick

#3 PAKMAN

PAKMAN

Say that again, I have a pen here somewhere...

• FPN Super Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,532 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 26 November 2017 - 16:07

Looks like my grip too.

PAKMAN

minibanner.gif             fpn_1321906507__vanness_sign.jpg 

My Favorite Pen Restorer                            My favorite Brick and Mortar              

now selling online!

#4 Mech-for-i

Mech-for-i

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 622 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 26 November 2017 - 17:38

well this is not something new, I was taught similar even when I was a kid in Junior school but then my teacher do not just teach a particular hold, she also teach us the finger over and the tripod grip and not to mention the " holding an egg " posture we normally associated with using a brush. Interesting none the least, many younger ones today probably never even learn how to hold a pen properly ; and then  complain about wrist / join pain and CTS

#5 Glenn-SC

Glenn-SC

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,635 posts

Posted 26 November 2017 - 19:49

The "Best Grip" is the one that is the most comfortable and works best for you.

Some has to teach you the "right" way to hold a pen? 

If the Safaris section doesn't work with your grip, try another pen.

I happen to like and have many Safaris.

#6 RMN

RMN

Ancient Artifact

• FPN Super Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,291 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 27 November 2017 - 02:21

I disagree with this movie. I do agree with the placement of the index and the thumb, but the pen should rest in the web of the hand between thumb and index.

But the pen lies inert in the hand, the index finger and thumb do not control the movement but make sure the pen does stay fixed in the hand. This needs only a very light grip and no pressure. The actual control is done with the arm muscles.

Only if you want to use flex you will need to provide an up and down movement and there the fingers may have some function.

D.ick

~

Freedom exists by virtue of self limitation.

~

#7 effrafax

effrafax

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 428 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 27 November 2017 - 11:16

I disagree with this movie. I do agree with the placement of the index and the thumb, but the pen should rest in the web of the hand between thumb and index.

But the pen lies inert in the hand, the index finger and thumb do not control the movement but make sure the pen does stay fixed in the hand. This needs only a very light grip and no pressure. The actual control is done with the arm muscles.

Only if you want to use flex you will need to provide an up and down movement and there the fingers may have some function.

D.ick

Hear hear!

I had the same thoughts whilst watching the video.  Almost all the best sources of knowledge regarding handwriting say that the gross movements should come from the arm, not the hand or fingers.  Fingers are only used for the very fine adjustments needed, but the bulk of the movement should start at the shoulder.

I thought the video offered very poor advice.

Cheers,
Effrafax.

"It is a well known and much lamented fact that those people who most want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it"
Douglas Adams ("The Hitch-Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy - The Original Radio Scripts").

Sponsored Content

|