The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

#6 Fountain Pen Nib Modification Using Dip Pen Nib

3 replies to this topic

#1 MiguelEco

MiguelEco

Dipped Only

• Member - Bronze

• Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 26 November 2017 - 09:52

I heard about Jinhao x450/x750 nib being modified by a G nib . I know it is a #6 nib so think Brause Steno Blue Pumpkin no.361 will work . I just want to know guys if you already tried it

Sponsored Content

#2 Cjayant

Cjayant

Near Mint

• Member - Bronze+

• PipPipPip
  • 47 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 26 November 2017 - 22:45

I have tried it and ended up getting ruined several Chinese pens. Ruined about 6 Dip nibs as they get corroded faster due to waterbased ink. They don't last long. Basically, when you use a dip pen as you finish the witting you have to wash the pen and towel dry the nib thoroughly before store it. So if you use the fountain pen you have to proceed the same way but the last step of getting rid of water ( Ink ) is unavoidable as it is not practical. I stopped trying that and now all the dip nibs stay better for a longer time on a dip pen than on a fountain pen.

Edited by Cjayant, 26 November 2017 - 22:46.

#3 tetto

tetto

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Bronze+

• PipPip
  • 19 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 28 November 2017 - 19:50

I've done similar modification for a customer, indeed the dip pen nib corroded very fast and you may need to replace them periodically. You also need to cut the nib to fit the feeding of pen, shouldn't be a very hard work if you have the right tools.

#4 sidthecat

sidthecat

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,996 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 29 November 2017 - 05:50

I’m waiting for a hybrid that Mr. Minuskin has just finished for me: a Moore with a Fairchild Star nib. If you can get your hands on a gold nib in decent shape, it eliminates the corrosion problem. The trick is also to install a feed that can keep up with the nib. Mr. Minuskin swapped in a Waterman feed that promises to keep the nib nicely supplied.

I don’t even want to tell you how much I spent on this nonsense, but my accountant assures me that it’s deductible. I call that a successful grift.

Reply to this topic

Sponsored Content

|