Hi Peeps Need Advice?

fubar925

Ive juts got into pens and been looking at mont blanc's and Pelikans and been decided on one make then another....Blah blah.

But tonight ive been offered a M1000 in great if not new condition for £300 is that a good price? Its the darker colour not green.

Good price or not?

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bo Bo Olson

• fubar925

• sargetalon

• Mew

Top Posters In This Topic

Why not head over to cultpens and buy a brand new one for about £285? Plus shipping.

Use the promo code "Black17" for the discount (check whether this is still valid).

Thats a decent price. The thing that would give me pause here is not the price but rather the pen being offered. I dont know what your preferences are and its not part of your question so please forgive the unsolicited advice and feel free to disregard. The thing is that the M1000 is quite a large pen, the biggest of the flock. Its large nib is also the springiest. These two things might not make it the best fit for someone just getting into Pelikan pens or fountain pens in general. Maybe Im wrong and its the perfect pen for you but I wanted to put that out there for your consideration. The M1000 is a great pen provided you know what youre getting. Good luck with whatever you choose.

PELIKAN - Too many birds in the flock to count. My pen chest has proven to be a most fertile breeding ground.

fpn_1508261203__fpn_logo_300x150.jpg

THE PELIKAN'S PERCH - A growing reference site for all things Pelikan

It is a HUGE pen......I like the standard 400 or the medium-large 600 in they are light and nimble, with great balance posted...........and when you are ready for semi-flex...on about your 5th pen, you can buy a vintage nib that fits.

Do suggest a regular flex semi-vintage 400 from '82-97 before going to semi-flex. Regular flex is good for shading inks, semi-flex is because of ease of tine bend, a wetter nib; needing a better ink and paper match to get shading to go with the line variation.

I find the Large 800 to be clunky..................I do not suggest buying a 1000 as a noobie.....besides Huge, it has a semi-flex nib...which requires a very light Hand. In the modern 18 K nib will bend and stay bent, if you are still Ham Fisted......................and most are when coming over from ball points, and or are new to fountain pens. A vintage 14 K semi-flex nib is more robust, not bending and staying bent so easy.................but still needs some experience before getting one.

It takes some practice to get to a lighter Hand.

Did I mention that is a HUGE pen????????? Huge....!!!!

The medium large 600 has nice girth and ever so many very beautiful pens....and buying second hand....used, is a good way to go.

I suggest looking first at all the beautiful 600's, to have an idea what beauties could be had....then seeing what is in our sales section.

It will be more than Ebay, but the pens will work just fine. The seller wants to keep his good name, so he can still BS here on the com.

When it is time to go semi-flex, a 600 will take the old '50-65 era nib. I had my 605 with a semi-flex B nib on it for ages. :puddle:

I have some 12? used....semi-vintage pre '98 or vintage '65-50 pens that all work very well. I only have 3 new Pelikans and another new one the brown marbled 200 coming. I am impressed by the 200's regular flex nib.

How impressed? Well having a slew of 400's didn't need a 200....so bought a 215 because it had a 200's nib....then there was the Amethyst LE and now the Brown Marbled 200....................... :unsure: :rolleyes: Gee....I'm actually buying new pens :wacko: ....and they are the 200's.

I normally buy vintage or semi-vintage pens "only".

And M is a good width....even if dissed here, in most folks start with an M and go skinny or fat the very next pen. I find M to be smooth and a good shading pen in old regular flex. Or if you buy a new 200 M is a good nib on one. If you want thinner or wider you can buy a new screw in nib for @$27-30......your 1000's new nib in a different size is $$$$$$ :yikes:

Edited by Bo Bo Olson

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

Or try looking on Amazon and see if you can find an Amazon Warehouse Deal on the pen. They are a further 20% reduction until Nov 27th. Extra discount comes off at checkout page.

I looked at M800 size.

... besides Huge, it has a semi-flex nib...which requires a very light Hand.

Seems odd to put a nib which requires a light hand on their heaviest pen. :unsure:

It's hard work to tell which is Old Harry when everybody's got boots on.

When it is time to go semi-flex, a 600 will take the old '50-65 era nib. I had my 605 with a semi-flex B nib on it for ages. :puddle:

Will an M200 also take a vintage flex nib from the 400 - 400nn era of pens?

yes, but if you go to German Ebay, the 400 era pens are E100-120, so one could just as well buy a 400 and tortoise is not more expensive than green stripped if you hunt....or e10 over normal. I've seen green stripped for E90.

The 200/400/600 all take each other's nib.....and there are vintage nibs for sale, if one is proud of one's 200 and there are some nice ones...........ask Sargetalon, who may have the worlds greatest collection of 200's.

The 140 will go in but look dorky in they are a small nib....could fit one to a 150 perhaps....or the regular flex 150's nib into a 140 if one wanted to go regular flex...perhaps for a nice shading ink.

The semi-flex nibs have nice flair...line variation, but with easy tine spread and bend, are wetter so need a better paper and a dryer ink to shade well also.

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

Seems odd to put a nib which requires a light hand on their heaviest pen. :unsure:

I think it's expected that experienced users buy it.

I prefer the medium-large '50-60's 146 (better nib too) over the '70-now Large 146, which is lighter and more nimble than the 800.

The '87-90 800 I would buy for the nib....for that a bit more springy regular flex W. Germany nib, I'd put up with a bit too large for me 800.

I have a lot of semi-flex vintage pens, so have no need to buy a baseball bat of a 1000, which feels to me bigger than a 149, though the 149 looks bigger one way or another.

The OP should go to a pen shop and write a full page with that 1000....could try a 800 or a 600 at the same time.

The 200/400 and 600 should be posted, then they are not too short, and have the balance they are renown for.

I grew up in the era of standard and medium-large pens, so am comfortable with them.

I can see those whose first pens were Large pens being comfortable with them as 'normal', where I don't see them as 'normal' at all.

The Oversized ones, like a 1000 or 149 are not for me...........others like them, but I always suggest working one's way up....in working down seems harder to do..................and vintage is standard.

Edited by Bo Bo Olson

Highstreet price for the Souverän 1000 is about 550 EUR (490 GBP) in the Netherlands.

But you can usually get some good discounts on that.

Lowest price on Amazon UK today is 350 GBP

And as said, if you are fast you might get some Black Friday discounts.

The nib on the 1000 is springy, not flexible. It will give some line variation, but not much. The nibs on the 800 are much more rigid.

If you treat the 1000 nib as a flex nib you have a good chance ending up with a sprung nib.

But if you use a FP as should, in the correct lower angle and just guiding the pen OVER the paper instead of pressing it IN the paper it is a delightful nib

D.ick

~

KEEP SAFE, WEAR A MASK, KEEP A DISTANCE.

Freedom exists by virtue of self limitation.

~

semi-FLEX is not a flex nib.........no where near....but the small print is often ignored.

I still have to pay vat... im afraid!

Wow this has been a great read thanks peeps..! Really am confused as to what to get I started off on a mont blanc 146-149 and now like the pelikans a lot more.

I think a m200 and m400 will be to small so not for me as with the m600 I could use that but want something bigger so looking at the m800 and m1000 I can get the m1000 for £300 or the M800 i think for roughly £220-£230 both new ish..

So I dont know!!!!..

I still have to pay vat... im afraid!

Wow this has been a great read thanks peeps..! Really am confused as to what to get I started off on a mont blanc 146-149 and now like the pelikans a lot more.

I think a m200 and m400 will be to small so not for me as with the m600 I could use that but want something bigger so looking at the m800 and m1000 I can get the m1000 for £300 or the M800 i think for roughly £220-£230 both new ish..

So I dont know!!!!..

I find the M800 to be a much more usable "everyday" pen while still maintaining a comfortable larger size and heft.

PELIKAN - Too many birds in the flock to count. My pen chest has proven to be a most fertile breeding ground.

fpn_1508261203__fpn_logo_300x150.jpg

THE PELIKAN'S PERCH - A growing reference site for all things Pelikan

Posted the light and nimble, standard sized 400 or a medium-large 600 is longer than a un-posted 800, and better balanced.

Go for the Large 800 then.....but suggest you go to a shop and try them.

The first rule of fountain pens is .....take your time.

Go to a shop somewhere and try scribbling with them..........do hold the fountain pen behind the big knuckle like a fountain pen and not before like a ball point.

They have some Blingy looking 600's too....lots of real beautiful pens.

Edited by Bo Bo Olson