The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

Ink Testing To Determine Your Favourite Ink

ink test comparison fair diamine herbin visconti parker waterman pilot mont blanc

• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

#41 HangmanCrewPens

HangmanCrewPens

Dipped Only

• Member - Silver

• Pip
  • 9 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 28 January 2018 - 11:13

I am testing 30 sample herbin inks and I would say I would actually buy 3 of the inks in full size bottles now. Having viewed samples online and reviews etc.. testing the ink yourself, I have found the initial preference had changed. There are colours now I will just not use or see again, so really splashing them in illustrations so I can start to archive for reference of what not to buy.. herbin rouille dancre is on this list 😐

Sponsored Content

#42 Chrissy

Chrissy

Ancient Artifact

• Away
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,301 posts

Posted 28 January 2018 - 12:26

I must try this Rouille d'Ancre myself.   :)  It's mentioned quite a lot on here.

#43 TSherbs

TSherbs

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,752 posts

Posted 28 January 2018 - 15:22

What does that color name mean?

#44 lapis

lapis

medium rare

• FPN Super Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,296 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 28 January 2018 - 16:02

Rusty anchor. A good name IYAM (whether or not it actually fits to the color of the ink itself).

Life is too short to drink bad wine (Goethe)

#45 Torrilin

Torrilin

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 368 posts

Posted 28 January 2018 - 21:13

I must try this Rouille d'Ancre myself.   :)  It's mentioned quite a lot on here.

It’s a very love it or hate it ink. Pinky rusty brown, low saturation, good shading... exactly the opposite of a work appropriate ink for most people. And the name is great fun to say. (Probably good pun fodder in French too)

But it’s a very good color for pinky white skin, so it’s a pretty indispensable drawing ink. And it’s good for highlights on darker skin, especially in warm lighting. Most of the lighter J Herbin are meant for drawing or highlighting or use in very broad nibs. Gris nuage gets a lot of hate too, and Bouton d’or, but they’re pretty great for art. Vert pré is often mixed up with vert olive, and both are really yellow toned greens that are great for foliage. But they get lots of hate for being too light for writing. Lierre sauvage is a lot more popular, but for drawing it’s much too cold and dark a green to work for much. Great for writing. Baaaaaaaad for drawing.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: ink test comparison fair, diamine, herbin, visconti, parker, waterman, pilot, mont blanc

Sponsored Content

|