The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

Wing Sung 6359 - Purchase Advice?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 finewriting

finewriting

Dipped Only

• Member - Silver

• Pip
  • 7 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 24 November 2017 - 19:56

Hi

I'm laid up for a bit. My medical team has instructed me to take it easy and take pleasure in small things during my convalescence. 

I'm taking that to mean purchasing inexpensive fountain pens will speed my recovery. In my interpretation, it's pretty much what the doctor has ordered.

Here's where I need a bit of help. I'm interested in a Wing Sung 6359 (or possibly more than one ... all things in moderation, of course). But I strongly prefer those with the black clip over those with the chrome clip.

Problem is ... listings on eBay aren't clear on the matter. Many sellers are using images of pens with chrome clips and black clips in the same listing.

I have reached out to one seller but he does not appear to understand the distinction (so far). And I would like to place an order soon, so a pen (or two) has a chance of arriving before I am up and about again.

At current eBay prices ... it's not much of a gamble. But I already have some Lamy Al-Stars with shiny chrome clips. I would like to try a Wing Sung 6359 (or two) with a black clip.

Are the ones with black clips new stock? Anyone had any luck buying the precise model I'm after?

Any advice appreciated.

Sponsored Content

#2 garyc

garyc

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 274 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 05 December 2017 - 17:05

It may be slightly random and/or luck of the draw. I bought 3 from seller king-200988, one pink, one coffee, one silver. They came today - the silver had a silver clip, the other 2 had black. In the listing pictures, a composite showing all the colours features black clips, but the individual pictures show silver. This is probably what you have seen - I think they all probably recycle the same pictures. That seller offered 6% off on the second item, so maybe just to buy a couple or more to increase your chances of getting the colour you want.

The nibs are very fine and very smooth by the way, quite pleased with mine.

#3 finewriting

finewriting

Dipped Only

• Member - Silver

• Pip
  • 7 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 06 December 2017 - 01:52

Thanks for sharing your experience.

Here is what I tried.

I found two different sellers on eBay who assured me their pens had black clips (despite the pictures in the listings, which showed both possibilities). Neither seller was king-200988, as it turns out.

I bought three pens.. and am waiting to see what shows up in my mailbox. 

Perhaps I should have bought a coffee coloured pen too ... hmmmm.

#4 IndigoBOB

IndigoBOB

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 276 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 06 December 2017 - 03:40

I had bad luck buying these pens on ebay.  1 worked well, but came heavily dented and 2 others seemed like knock offs with terrible nibs, strangely bent bodies and appeared different from the first one.

I think if you get something that works well then that's a good start.

A voice:  I'll write pages and pages, days upon days, to be able to breathe out a few lines,

I'll do whatever it takes to breathe out those few lines, where the breath breathes out on its own, in on its own,

To thine own...

...breath on its own.

#5 garyc

garyc

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 274 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 06 December 2017 - 17:45

Another slightly curious thing I noticed is that the silver one I have has flats on both sides of the barrel with WINGSUNG feintly inscribed on the side that faces you as you write. The other 2 have no WINSUNG inscribed and are rounded on the side opposite to the one that faces you when writing. Lamy Safari and a Jinhao 599 are flat on both sides.

Other differences are the silver has a transarent feed and the ink viewing windows are more crudely punched out with sharp edges, rather than holes sitting within an enlarged depression like on the other two (black-clipped) models. Those also have two indent lines running round the circumference of the cap just below where the clip enters. I think I prefer them just for those aethetic touches.

#6 finewriting

finewriting

Dipped Only

• Member - Silver

• Pip
  • 7 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 06 December 2017 - 17:52

Now I'm really curious to see what I am going to get.

I ordered one red, one silver and one gray ... two different sellers.

I'm beginning to wonder whether I should have paid so little ...

I will post results when pens arrive.

Edited by finewriting, 06 December 2017 - 17:54.

#7 IndigoBOB

IndigoBOB

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 276 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 07 December 2017 - 01:10

Another slightly curious thing I noticed is that the silver one I have has flats on both sides of the barrel with WINGSUNG feintly inscribed on the side that faces you as you write. The other 2 have no WINSUNG inscribed and are rounded on the side opposite to the one that faces you when writing. Lamy Safari and a Jinhao 599 are flat on both sides.

Other differences are the silver has a transarent feed and the ink viewing windows are more crudely punched out with sharp edges, rather than holes sitting within an enlarged depression like on the other two (black-clipped) models. Those also have two indent lines running round the circumference of the cap just below where the clip enters. I think I prefer them just for those aethetic touches.

I have observed the same thing.  The versions I received that DIDN'T have the Wing Sung inscribed +straight on only one side were terrible quality.  Ebay is a bit of a gamble with these chinese pens.

A voice:  I'll write pages and pages, days upon days, to be able to breathe out a few lines,

I'll do whatever it takes to breathe out those few lines, where the breath breathes out on its own, in on its own,

To thine own...

...breath on its own.

Sponsored Content

|