The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

Sailor Pro-Gear Slim F (Everyday Carry) Review

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 KellyMcJ

KellyMcJ

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,068 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 23 November 2017 - 16:08

I love this pen so much! I've been using it every day (on every kind of paper from the best to the worst) and it's been remarkably consistent across all papers- I've even tested it side by side with the same ink in other pens and found it to be the most consistent of the bunch.

After two weeks use it has some micro scratches from posting- it does post well, although I don't always bother to post it. I haven't had a single flow issue, no skipping, hard starting or anything like that (I carry it clipped upright in my purse). It has some really delightful feedback that's hard to describe. The cap-off time without drying out is impressive, although I haven't actually timed it.

7JvAMdR.jpg

dDqPres.jpg

5D335qT.jpg

9dzauqp.jpg

wztWPGC.jpg

gX1pMTB.jpg

Sponsored Content

#2 thiagojp

thiagojp

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 64 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 23 November 2017 - 20:05

Well said! Totally agree with you! I love Sailors nibs, specially the F and XF. I carry a ridiculous number of pens daily ( 16 as a matter of fact ) but I always have a Sailor among them!

#3 Cjayant

Cjayant

Near Mint

• Member - Bronze+

• PipPipPip
  • 48 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 23 November 2017 - 21:01

Nice work,

I love Sailor Pens. They are lovely writers and good quality and cheaper pens. My preference for the pen nibs is always fine tips. So I  love the sailor nibs with slight feedback when writing. 

I have 3  Pro.Gear Slims and two profit Standard in fine and M tips.

#4 minddance

minddance

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 231 posts

Posted 24 November 2017 - 18:22

Are there 2 versions of sailor nib? An older version writes very different than a recent version.

#5 Tas

Tas

Graphophile . . .

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,160 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 24 November 2017 - 18:37

Had I not recently bought a bottle of Sei Boku, this review of your pen would have tipped me over the edge.

Lovely.

#6 Olya

Olya

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 253 posts

Posted 24 November 2017 - 20:31

Are there 2 versions of sailor nib? An older version writes very different than a recent version.

Technically yes, the design (print with the logo and scroll work) changed along with the tipping, they polish it now differently, into a different shape.

A thread was started on that recently:

"The new style nibs have less round tipping. They are ground with more angles so it has a smaller sweet spot and more feedback generally."

http://www.fountainp...e-as-new-style/

#7 KellyMcJ

KellyMcJ

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,068 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 24 November 2017 - 22:05

Had I not recently bought a bottle of Sei Boku, this review of your pen would have tipped me over the edge.

Lovely.

Its an incredible ink - remarkably well behaved for an ink so permanent! It's the first ink I've bought a back up bottle of.

#8 minddance

minddance

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 231 posts

Posted 25 November 2017 - 05:47

Technically yes, the design (print with the logo and scroll work) changed along with the tipping, they polish it now differently, into a different shape.
A thread was started on that recently:

"The new style nibs have less round tipping. They are ground with more angles so it has a smaller sweet spot and more feedback generally."
http://www.fountainp...e-as-new-style/

Thank you for confirming this. I totally dislike the new Sailor nibs. Thankfully, I have a few old ones.

#9 rudyhou

rudyhou

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,485 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 05 December 2017 - 06:49

i have one made exclusively for NAGASAWA pen shop in japan.  they call is PenStyle Memo.  mine is with MF nib with a different engraving design on the nib.  but basically it's similar to Sailor Sapporo slim or Pro Gear slim, but shorter.  i'm very happy with the nib performance.  but i wish it comes with a converter.

Edited by rudyhou, 06 December 2017 - 04:03.

-rudy-

#10 KellyMcJ

KellyMcJ

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,068 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 05 December 2017 - 23:45

I discovered a new trick- this pen writes a thinner, drier line when held at a higher angle, almost like a miniature zoom nib, as well as smooth reverse writing!

#11 Olya

Olya

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 253 posts

Posted 06 December 2017 - 16:17

Sailor pretty much has a "zoom" effect with all nib sizes, F, MF, M and B (haven't tried the EF). Most noticeable MF-B.

Some other pen makers can also have a "zoom" effect, but Sailor does it imo best and most consistently, with their nibs you can be sure to have it, other makers not so much.

#12 KellyMcJ

KellyMcJ

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,068 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 06 December 2017 - 16:20

Sailor pretty much has a "zoom" effect with all nib sizes, F, MF, M and B (haven't tried the EF). Most noticeable MF-B.
Some other pen makers can also have a "zoom" effect, but Sailor does it imo best and most consistently, with their nibs you can be sure to have it, other makers not so much.

It's awesome and so extremely practical!

#13 Uncial

Uncial

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,784 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 07 December 2017 - 09:15

If you have a normal sized Pro Gear would you mind posting a picture of that beside your slim?

#14 KellyMcJ

KellyMcJ

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,068 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 07 December 2017 - 13:06

If you have a normal sized Pro Gear would you mind posting a picture of that beside your slim?

I don't but I'm sure someone here does!

#15 displacermoose

displacermoose

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 266 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 08 December 2017 - 00:52

I'm really lousy photographer but this should give you at least an idea...

20171207_183856.jpg

20171207_183927.jpg

Yet another Sarah.

#16 Uncial

Uncial

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,784 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 08 December 2017 - 01:05

Thanks. It is quite a bit smaller.

#17 displacermoose

displacermoose

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 266 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 08 December 2017 - 01:37

It is. The Sapporo is the "slim" for good reason. Although I should note that the Pro Gear is quite stout and the Sapporo is the same or slightly thicker than the Platinum 3776 Century or the Pilot Custom 74 even though it is significantly shorter. These are two of my most comfortable pens.

Yet another Sarah.

#18 KellyMcJ

KellyMcJ

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,068 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 08 December 2017 - 05:09

It is. The Sapporo is the "slim" for good reason. Although I should note that the Pro Gear is quite stout and the Sapporo is the same or slightly thicker than the Platinum 3776 Century or the Pilot Custom 74 even though it is significantly shorter. These are two of my most comfortable pens.

Do you find that the price difference is worth it?

I agree about comfort, I have 3 pro gear slims now and it's like they were made for my hand!

#19 displacermoose

displacermoose

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 266 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 08 December 2017 - 14:21

Do you find that the price difference is worth it?

I agree about comfort, I have 3 pro gear slims now and it's like they were made for my hand!

Yes. Without a doubt. The Slim is comfortable, the full-sized Pro Gear is divine. I have a cornucopia of chronic stress injuries in both of my hands, and my Pro Gear is the only pen I own that I can use all the time without pain. It is really hard to find pens that are short and fat. You can see just how short it is next to a Pilot Custom 74:

20171208_080645.jpg

20171208_080721.jpg

20171208_080820.jpg

It scales up the girth of the Slim without adding much extra length, so it can post without becoming at all back-heavy. When you add the fact that Sailor has managed to make a nail of a nib that still has character, then you've got something really special.

Yet another Sarah.

#20 davidpro

davidpro

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Gold

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 09 December 2017 - 00:01

I love my slim. A great performer, and small enough for an every day carry

Sponsored Content

|