Ranking 28 Fountain Pens

brerlapine

Examining your first photo post #4 reveals very nice handwriting, that imho should cause you to seek and learn correct pressure found in earlier gold nibs (sometimes referred to as vintage) in semi-flex, (not full flex). Understand you would instantly ruin these nibs using the same metal fatigue force as on your current list of all modern pens. But taking the time to relearn correct technique, (perhaps first with basic inexpensive calligraphy nibs in simple holders), will achieve your visible intent, without damaging expensive equipment pushing it beyond it's designed ability.

Misunderstanding the SF is a common error. Well explained by others above.

- additional photos would visibly confirm this important lesson -

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JonSzanto

• Jamerelbe

• brerlapine

• Sailor Kenshin

And at little or no cost for the majority of their abuses, reviews ....

Sorry, but I think that's an unfair characterisation. The reviewers in question got started by reviewing their own pens, purchased with their own money. In more recent times they have been loaned pens by different retailers and/or distributors,who obviously (and IMHO rightly)have more faith in their ability to treat pens well thank you do! They are not remunerated for their revies and don't keep the pens.

I'll say it again, the reviewers in question (to whom I would add Matt from the Pen Habit,Mike from independence,and a few others) have all become pretty good at handling pens with care - and I personally don't think this is the place tomtake pot shots at them.

Sorry, but I think that's an unfair characterisation. The reviewers in question got started by reviewing their own pens, purchased with their own money. In more recent times they have been loaned pens by different retailers and/or distributors,who obviously (and IMHO rightly)have more faith in their ability to treat pens well thank you do! They are not remunerated for their revies and don't keep the pens.

I'll say it again, the reviewers in question (to whom I would add Matt from the Pen Habit,Mike from independence,and a few others) have all become pretty good at handling pens with care - and I personally don't think this is the place tomtake pot shots at them.

I'll say it again, the reviewers in question (to whom I would add Matt from the Pen Habit,Mike from independence,and a few others) have all become pretty good at handling pens with care - and I personally don't think this is the place to take pot shots at them.

Agreed. I have no problem with how or where they the pens for the review. I also don't think any of the 'major' pen blogger/reviewers are less than careful with their products and give a good deal of thought to them and the content. I've mentioned only one area of possible dispute - flexing of non-flex nibs - but it is a point that could be easily dealt with, and I'm pretty certain all of these people would handle any discussion on this in a responsive manner. It is simply one of the pitfalls of 'publishing' that once it's out there, it is hard to reel it in. That doesn't make them evil, just human.

"When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick; and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

Agreed. I have no problem with how or where they the pens for the review. I also don't think any of the 'major' pen blogger/reviewers are less than careful with their products and give a good deal of thought to them and the content. I've mentioned only one area of possible dispute - flexing of non-flex nibs - but it is a point that could be easily dealt with, and I'm pretty certain all of these people would handle any discussion on this in a responsive manner. It is simply one of the pitfalls of 'publishing' that once it's out there, it is hard to reel it in. That doesn't make them evil, just human.

I think we can agree on that - I watch Steve Brown's social media channels regularly,so I know he would not recommend overflexing nibs, but I don't think YouTube allows you to upload new disclaimers to old videos.Which leaves him with two alternatives - leave his old reviews up there, and trust his viewers' commonsense... or pull down a fair portion of his "body of work". It's not ideal, but I know what I'd do in his shoes!

He does it (or used to) because his viewers asked for it - and because he didn't know any better at the time. More recent reviews are much more 'considerate' of nibs that aren't designed to flex. I'm not sure that 'hating' on YouTubers who do so much to help popularise fountain pens - if you don't like their style, you don't have to watch! [For the record, I enjoy watching SBRE Brown's videos - many of the pens he reviews these days are waaay above my price range, but it's good to know what's out there!]

Firstly, I'm not hating on them. When I was new to fountain pens, I loved watching Stephen's reviews to get a good idea of what pen I should buy. I don't watch his videos anymore, because like you said, the pens he makes videos on these days are ones I could never hope to own. Why do you think his viewers want to see the flex in every nib? He promoted line variation from nibs which were never meant for that.

I would very subjectively say that a soft fine exhibits a bit of 'bounce,' same as my vintage MB (32?.....forgot the number, but it was a low-end piston pen with a fine nib).

My latest ebook.   And not just for Halloween!

My other pen is a Montblanc.

Jar is perfectly correct in what he writes, and I know that he has a long history with many, many pens. He is well aware, as am I, of what pens and their nibs are capable of. There is no doubt that you are pushing that Platinum nib further than it was intended to go. I happen to have 6 different versions of the Platinum 3776 pens and I know these nibs very well. Simply because someone pushes a nib too far and takes a photo of the resulting handwriting does NOT mean it is a flex nib. They call it soft for a reason: the nib will cushion your stroke and have a bit of 'give', unlike a very stiff (such as an HF) nib.

I would never have even mentioned anything if it wasn't for the fact that posts such as yours are continuing to spread misinformation about modern nibs, and I see the results with people posting shots of nibs that have been sprung or misaligned from overapplication of pressure. It is distressing to see and all one can do is make posts such as this to call into question the abuse of a good nib.

It comes from a simple phrase: Just because you can do something doesn't mean that you should .

Eh Hello.

I've been using Fountain Pens for about 7 years, so I am quite new compared to these two sirs...

I own an 1880s dip pen. You SHOULD NOT flex your nib that much.

Forgive me... But please, please, please don't push your nibs all the way to the limit.

A TRUE flex or semiflex nib SHOULD NOT bend that much in order to separate the tines only so much.

The nibs you have are defined as "soft" for a reason.

The guys at Platinum and Pilot have a pretty good idea of what their nibs are capable of.

Yes... Pens are made to write... But not for bending...

I hope I don't sound angry or hot - headed.

Thanks...

Jeez...

I guess I may give my 2 cents for the reviewers then....

I used to watch SBRE Brown's YT videos.

I don't really watch 'em anymore...

I do like the Penhabit and do watch his videos every here and there.

In regards to being a Pen Connoisseur: I personally think what matters is that you have the MASTERY of a fountain pen...

It took my about 5 - 6 years to learn the proper way to hold a pen, the right amount of pressure, etc.

But inevitably all of us are different; meaning that we will have different priorities for what we consider as a 'good' pen.

(But I guess being a student screws around with getting pens as well... Oh well.)

My two cents...

Edited by AL01

I like Brown's reviews. I find them more helpful than the opinions of the "expert", nit-picking haters.

You are welcome to your opinion, naturally. Is it helpful to have a technique demonstrated that might harm your pen?

"When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick; and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

lol I have the same problem with Lamy Safari Nibs. Have one on the way from Goulet pens who I asked to check it before it shipped.

I love the design, but those darn nibs I am cursed by lol.

You are welcome to your opinion, naturally. Is it helpful to have a technique demonstrated that might harm your pen?

Only if accompanied by a warning that the technique is potentially damaging and to try at your own risk. Occasionally heard, but not with every extreme shown ........ :(

• 9 months later...

So I have been using the pens for a year with the same amount of flex. No problems so far! Dont mind if I break the steel nibs. The gold bibs have been holding up surprisingly well for as much as I flex them.

Im really happy with my post and glad I can continue to refer to it. Great website. Ill probably add my new favorites and change the order a bit in the coming month.

Edited by brerlapine

• 6 months later...

obviously the original poster brerlapine doesn't care about his pens or anyones advice.

to use the phrase...don't ask me to explain the actions of irrational people because they simply are irrational.

he has all the answers he needs...in his own mind.

Most Kindest Regards,

David

i hate to write a post like this however he just blew off info from individuals that have a lot more experience than he obviously does. he should be thanking you guys. i could only stand to read the first 10 posts.

Edited by JesusNeverTappedOut

speaking of doing 'research' online, I realised how much poisonous information the internet carries that ruins pens: haphazard micromeshing and 'tuning', brutal flexing of pens, inaccurate reports, etc.

it is very difficult for newbies to discern what is true/right.

The first and the most critical thing that you should consider when selecting a fountain pen is the metal writing tip of the pen known as the nib. More then anything else it’s the nib that determines how a fountain pen will write.

Early fountain pen nibs were made from gold due to it’s flexibility and resistance to corrosion features. However, today most of the nibs are crafted with stainless steel or gold alloys for there great strength and durability. If a nib is made from pure gold, they are usually tipped with metal like iridium or some metal from the platinum family.

The nib has a small slit at the center that helps bring ink down to the tip by the way of capillary action. Additionally, you will also find a tiny “breather hole” on top of the nib that will help bring air back into the reservoir to prevent vacuum formation. It farther acts as a stress-relieving point that prevents the nib from cracking due to the repeated flexing that occurs during its use.