The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

Your Thoughts On Used 149: Authenticity & Price

montblanc

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Geelerald

Geelerald

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Silver

• PipPip
  • 19 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 23 November 2017 - 06:04

I️ am looking at this 149 for $400. Seller says fine to extra fine nib, mid 1990s. I think it looks genuine and seller seems very legit (Nathaniel Cerf at Pen Market). He says it writes beautifully, excellent condition and no signs of wear. Will you MB experts out there give me your 2 cents worth of advice please.

Attached Images

• D2F84894-208A-4D79-81FB-E073B6311739.jpeg
  • C4977909-2B54-4D97-BE14-9985F3D55F8E.jpeg
  • 47E07B4F-2CB7-4C6D-B008-D728072913ED.jpeg
  • D613A1CF-195F-4A4B-A06C-CBA695AF8BE9.jpeg

Sponsored Content

#2 hari317

hari317

Classic

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,517 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 23 November 2017 - 06:49

The pen looks 100% authentic. That is a first generation Plastic feed if it helps.

In case you wish to write to me, pls use ONLY email by clicking here. I do not check PMs. Thank you.

#3 zaddick

zaddick

BROAD Side Ambassador

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,913 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 23 November 2017 - 07:23

Pen looks fine, the era estimate is correct, and the nib width estimate us about right (depends more on what the bottom looks like as to if it is an EF or F).

If you feel comfortable and there is some sort of warranty then go for it. It's not a bad price if it was refurbished or offered with a return policy or warranty.

#4 Chrissy

Chrissy

Ancient Artifact

• Member - Gold

• 11,471 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 23 November 2017 - 08:12

It's authentic and looks like it has a really EF nib. That's much, much finer than any of my F nibs, so it's EF.  :mellow:

I don't know how much authentic Meisterstück 149 pens fetch on eBay.com, but I do know that those on eBay UK (and from within Europe) that have such EF nibs fetch a lower price than those with F or M nibs because there are more with EF nibs sold.

flying-letter-exc.png

#5 jmccarty3

jmccarty3

There is no "c" in Sheaffer

• FPN Supporter - Platinum

• 3,481 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 23 November 2017 - 13:43

Looks great to me. Many of the 149 EF nibs make broader cross strokes than vertical strokes, somewhat like an architect's nib, which is a nice effect. With my 149s, the EF is much narrower than the F, but YMMV.

Rationalizing pen and ink purchases since 1967.

#6 Tom Kellie

Tom Kellie

From EEF to OBBB

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,556 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 23 November 2017 - 15:03

Looks great to me. Many of the 149 EF nibs make broader cross strokes than vertical strokes, somewhat like an architect's nib, which is a nice effect. With my 149s, the EF is much narrower than the F, but YMMV.

Hi, Jay!

What you've explained about your 149 EFs is exactly like my experience.

The EFs are self-evidently narrower than Fs, with a corresponding increase in their utility for tasks requiring smaller handwriting or printing.

Thank you for stating what was in my thoughts, unexpressed.

Tom K.

#7 meiers

meiers

Museum Piece

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,639 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 23 November 2017 - 15:20

I own one very similar to this one.
The nib is a personal favourite.

#8 Wolverine1

Wolverine1

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• 4,352 posts

Posted 23 November 2017 - 15:59

Well, I currently own 7  MB 149 pens. All of them were purchased second-hand either from the FPN Classifieds, or the Pentrace Classifieds or the FPGeeks Classifieds.  Nathan is a reliable pen vendor so, you should feel safe making this transaction.  That is as long as you like the nib on the pen. Best of luck.

#9 smiffy20000

smiffy20000

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 209 posts

Posted 23 November 2017 - 16:27

In fact, I cannot think of a reason not to buy a high quality secondhand 149 as compared to a new one, especially half price.

Edited by smiffy20000, 23 November 2017 - 16:33.

#10 GardenWeasel

GardenWeasel

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,434 posts

Posted 23 November 2017 - 16:35

Well, that certainly explains the nib on mine! My cross strokes are broader than the vertical strokes, and it’s been a source of confusion for me. Thanks!
Posted Image

#11 meiers

meiers

Museum Piece

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,639 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 23 November 2017 - 19:34

Well, that certainly explains the nib on mine! My cross strokes are broader than the vertical strokes, and it’s been a source of confusion for me. Thanks!

This makes for a nice line variation in your handwriting.

#12 zaddick

zaddick

BROAD Side Ambassador

• Member - Gold

• 3,913 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 23 November 2017 - 21:06

In fact, I cannot think of a reason not to buy a high quality secondhand 149 as compared to a new one, especially half price.

A few reasons one might choose to buy new:

1. You want the rose gold trim
2. You want the platinum trim
3. You want a hard to find nib size
4. You want a warranty

Also, you can definitely get a pen cheaper than full list price if you buy from an authorized dealer or take advantage of coupons.

All that said, I do buy most of my 149s used because I like those made in the 1960s best so used is the only option.

#13 Bo Bo Olson

Bo Bo Olson

Ancient Artifact

• Member - Gold

• 17,863 posts

Posted 25 November 2017 - 18:21

Well I like the semi-flex and or maxi-semi-flex of the '50-60's and lucked out with three, a 234 1/2 Deluxe KOB semi-flex, a rolled gold 742 with my only nib right between semi-flex (26) and maxi-semi-flex (16)....both of them are standard size. My vintage medium large 146 which has better balance than my large 146, has a maxi-semi-flex. My large 146 is '70-80 and has a regular flex nib.

I find the modern MB nib to be springy....good tine bend but only 2 X tine spread.

If and when you are ready for semi-flex get a '50-60's MB....the 149 is the same size...the 146 is smaller than modern.

I had a 220 in my hand a bit ago....looks and feels like a Lamy 2000, but had a nice semi-flex spade nib.

www.nibs.com/blog/nibster-writes/nibs-germany      Info on Bock nibs

Due to Mauricio's improved definition of Super-flex, I try not use the term Easy Full Flex, but fail...sigh.

Semi-flex is an “almost” flex; not a ‘flex’ nib. It is great for regular writing with a touch of flair. It can give you some fancy; but it is not made for real fancy writing. For bit more of that get a maxi-semi-flex. Both spread tines 3X.  Those are not "Flex" nibs. 

Wider than Normal does not exist. Wider than Japanese does. Every company has it's very own standard + slop/tolerance. Developed from the users of it's pens and inks only; not the users or inks of other companies pens. The size you grind a nib to, is your standard only. Paper and ink matter to nib width. Thank god for 1/2 sizes or it would be boring.

#14 Margi

Margi

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Silver

• PipPip
  • 16 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 01 December 2017 - 10:42

Hi

I have a couple of 149s it looks spot on

Mike

#15 niksch

niksch

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• 4,402 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 03 December 2017 - 06:01

It's authentic and looks like it has a really EF nib. That's much, much finer than any of my F nibs, so it's EF.  :mellow:

I don't know how much authentic Meisterstück 149 pens fetch on eBay.com, but I do know that those on eBay UK (and from within Europe) that have such EF nibs fetch a lower price than those with F or M nibs because there are more with EF nibs sold.

I think that nib looks like a standard F nib.  EFs are discernably narrower.

Hard times don't last, but hard people do.

Thank a Veteran.

#16 Chrissy

Chrissy

Ancient Artifact

• Member - Gold

• 11,471 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 03 December 2017 - 08:53

I think that nib looks like a standard F nib.  EFs are discernably narrower.

On both of my screens that nib looks significantly narrower at the tip than all of my Mb F nibs.

flying-letter-exc.png

#17 niksch

niksch

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• 4,402 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 04 December 2017 - 05:00

On both of my screens that nib looks significantly narrower at the tip than all of my Mb F nibs.

Well, not on either of my two screens does it look narrower than an F...either. It appears we at an impasse.

Hard times don't last, but hard people do.

Thank a Veteran.

#18 Barry Gabay

Barry Gabay

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 964 posts

Posted 05 December 2017 - 15:39

Looks like a lovely 149 from ca 1992-95. As mentioned by earlier contributors, it has all the features from that generation: two-tone 18K nib, first plastic feed, brass piston threads. Appears in great condition. My eyes have reached a stage of maturity and sophistication that leaves me unable to distinguish F from EF without a writing sample. Haven't yet begun to confuse red, yellow, & green lights, though that will come soon. I have a couple of 149s from 1970s & early 80s, purchased new, with fairly wide EF nibs;  my youngest 149 from about 2010, a trade but with its original packaging & even nib grade sticker,  has a very narrow F nib. We've debated Montblanc's not marking its nibs before, though it's always an interesting topic. 

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: montblanc

Sponsored Content

|